The Big Box Store pyramid

tamias6

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought I'd post this. There was fairly large mixed use development that covered several blocks not far from the apartment I was staying at these past few weeks. It's one of a few similar developments throughout the Chicagoland area that are located at major transfer points of CTA or Metra System.

NORTH AVE COLLECTION @ NORTH AVE

North Ave Collection is located just a block off the CTA red line and a few blocks from brown and purple lines. The development technically has no real name, the North Ave Collection is actually the name of a parking structure with adjacent office space, not the stores over this multiblock area, but that's what it's generally called. It covers several city blocks with more compact or adjusted big box store layouts. Some are located in renovated buildings and have residential units stacked on top of them. This could technically be called a transit oriented development, much like its twin project at the Howard Ave Red Line terminus just south Evanston. Parking is much more limited however at the North Ave Collection whereas the Howard station offers ample parking around the strip mall type layout along with a 24 hour park and ride mega structure.

Here are some pics of North Ave Collection

All new build structures shown in this photo

northave1.jpg

Best Buy and Whole Foods: New Build. Bed Bath and Beyond: Partial Renovation/Newbuild

northave2.jpg

northave3.jpg

American Eagle, Restoration Hardware: New Build; Circuit City: Mostly newbuild

northave4.jpg

Crate and Barrel: All newbuild

northave5.jpg

Brown line is visible in the distance as well as the Lakeshore towers.

Another important thing to keep in mind is parking is a spectacle here.

A view from the parking structure. Who said big box parking has to be boring?

410941360_626b46ebdb_b.jpg

I'll be back in Chicago this coming weekend. I'd be willing to take pictures of the shopping plaza as well as residential towers at the Howard ave /Red line terminus. Although its not as exciting, and a bit more 'messy' looking.

I figured this whole thing would relevant since it involves compressing bix box stores into urban environment

If GR could gets something like the Chicago developments pictured above into Area 4/5, that would be prime. Also since a development like this is transit oriented in nature, placing something like this near the bus station would probably work even better.

It looks like a bad month for big box stores. Driving down 28th Street today looked a little like a pep rally with guys at every light holding signs for "going out of business" sales for both Lazy-Boy and CompUSA.

I think both would be good studies in marketing. Lazy-Boy could never shake its "old stinky chair" image while CompUSA is a computer store that could never find itself in the age of the Internet.

Joe

So Comp USA is Going out of Business. I had a feeling their days were numbered when they brought in TV's and Home Theater equipment to sell. Then I knew their days were really numbered when they stop selling Mini DV tapes. What store that offers computer and consumer electronics does not sell Mini DV tapes? Oh Well theres always Best Buy for my video camra needs and the Apple Store for my computing needs.

So Comp USA is Going out of Business. I had a feeling their days were numbered when they brought in TV's and Home Theater equipment to sell. Then I knew their days were really numbered when they stop selling Mini DV tapes. What store that offers computer and consumer electronics does not sell Mini DV tapes? Oh Well theres always Best Buy for my video camra needs and the Apple Store for my computing needs.

:offtopic:

Second City is on Wells street, west of the area shown in the photos. The area shown is Lincoln Park/Sheffield area. DePaul University is just up the street on Sheffield. The El (two lines) runs just west of Sheffield. It is a great area to live in. Not only are there "big box" stores, but many of the stores found in malls and "lifestyle centers". Yes, "chain stores" can exist with local businesses.

:offtopic:

Actully, Wells St is about 1.5 miles east of the North/Clybourn area where all this stuff is. And the Depaul campus is actually about 2 miles north of here. It is really barely even in the Lincoln Park neighborhood.

As for the collection of "big boxes", it's not that bad if you're on foot, but driving through/within this area to shop is a nightmare, and I avoid it when possible.

Archived