McDonald County Big Rumor (?) #2: NASCAR complex

KJW

"An indoor soccer field isn't really expensive to build and there's already going to be hockey, basketball, football, baseball and probably a NASCAR circuit here to boot. Okay, maybe not NASCAR. "

Possible famous last words from MasonsDad on June 30, 2006 on these forums.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I think a Nascar oval is doubtful I could see an investment made in a road course like Mid-Ohio or Beaverun, PA or even something on a smaller scale like Hallett, OK. I've always been surprised with the amount of expensive sports cars in NWA and no where to have club racing events.

Matt, Bagel...did you see the story on this potential Anderson, MO track on 40/29 tonight?

How big did an NWA racer think this track will be?

THIS big!!! He specifically mentioned this speedway

I'll believe it when I see it, but KHBS said there has been a lot of research being done on this, and that the investors don't want to put it in Benton because the county's dry.

Matt, Bagel...did you see the story on this potential Anderson, MO track on 40/29 tonight?

How big did an NWA racer think this track will be?

THIS big!!! He specifically mentioned this speedway

I'll believe it when I see it, but KHBS said there has been a lot of research being done on this, and that the investors don't want to put it in Benton because the county's dry.

Definitely. It would prbably bring in people from Little Rock, Witchita, and OK City even. I watched the 40/29 report and it looks like they are mainly concerned with the amount of hotel rooms in NWA. That's not going to help with the traffic problem if everyone stays in NWA and then drives back and forth to Anderson for the races. Remember it's not just one day of racing since there are practice sessions and qualifying also.

My home state just opened a brand new Rusty Wallace designed track in Newton, IA. It's a 7/8th mile tri-oval, and seats 25,000, and will be hosting several of the Nascar minor leagues this year, as well as the IRL has a race there which is the indy cars that race the Indy 500...The town is an hour from Des Moines, and the hotel rooms are pretty sparse except for all the rooms in little towns, plus Des Moines. I would think something similar to that would not have a problem at all in McDonald County, plus there is a plethora of hotel rooms in NW Arkansas that just sit empty most weekends, plus you have Joplin an hour away.

I have agree with you. I seem to remember there were a few tracks that wanted to have more races but couldn't.

They may be able to bring in the Truck Series.

I also heard their is a land owner holding out but, it could just be a rumor.

• 3 months later...

This is just another one of those "I heard it" stories, so take it for what it's worth but...

A lady I work with lives in Pineville, McDonald County's seat, and has been working with a realtor there as well. She said the realtor gives this NASCAR track an "8 out of 10" chance of happening, and said that there may be an announcement scheduled as soon as this week.

She said also she's heard this will somehow be connected with Heartland Park in Topeka, KS. Again, we'll just have to wait and see on this...

This is just another one of those "I heard it" stories, so take it for what it's worth but...

A lady I work with lives in Pineville, McDonald County's seat, and has been working with a realtor there as well. She said the realtor gives this NASCAR track an "8 out of 10" chance of happening, and said that there may be an announcement scheduled as soon as this week.

She said also she's heard this will somehow be connected with Heartland Park in Topeka, KS. Again, we'll just have to wait and see on this...

Archived