McDonald County Big Rumor (?) #2: NASCAR complex

KJW

OK, this either will be big news or big trouble.

Went tonight to the Jane, MO Wal-Mart, and needed a haircut before my grocery run.

While talking with the hair stylist there (a resident of Goodman, MO just south of Neosho and the McDonald County/Newton County line) about goings on in McDonald, I brought this racetrack subject up.

She said that, a couple of weeks ago, a regular customer of hers, a businessman in the county, came in for a haircut and was just "bubbling" about the pending racetrack. He got so excited talking with her about it, she said, that he went and got his briefcase, opened it up and took out a small stack of papers which were apparently related to this project. She said they included documents with the official NASCAR logo on it as well as maps where the track will be (like we've discussed earlier, it will be near Anderson, the county's largest town).

He advised her to invest in land around the track, and that it was going to appreciate rapidly as this is going to be a big project. She said she told him (with a smile - again, he's a regular customer) that she's making payments on her house and really couldn't afford to. He said he's paying on his house, too, but wants to invest in something near there anyway.

Now, several others have mentioned this track as a certainty. Others, too, thought Walt Disney in McDonald was a near certainty (although the latter rumor wasn't front page news in the McDonald County Press nor covered by KHBS-TV as this NASCAR story has been).

But this takes it to a different level, and this lady had no reason to lie to me. She said he kept talking and talking about it. My thought was "if this isn't legit, it's a heck of a scam which someone needs to know about".

Hopefully it's the former as it will be big news for this metro area. They've sure got a nice road going past the (possible) track now.

It bears watching either way.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought this was going to be smaller non-nascar affiliated circuit thing (dirt track), not a full blown nascar track. I think I could print out a nascar logo and support some rumors if I wanted. Anyways, it could be they're being very quiet and cautious and they're really building something there affiliated with nascar, but some of our previous reports say otherwise, including an investigated piece from arkansas business journal.

I thought this was going to be smaller non-nascar affiliated circuit thing (dirt track), not a full blown nascar track. I think I could print out a nascar logo and support some rumors if I wanted. Anyways, it could be they're being very quiet and cautious and they're really building something there affiliated with nascar, but some of our previous reports say otherwise, including an investigated piece from arkansas business journal.

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew, you all have since written a clarification, but I wasn't aware that Arkansas Business had reported on this NASCAR connection in February as well.

We've got two McDonald Countians in my group at work - both are talking with real estate agents there to sell their houses. The agents are saying they heard the deal on the land purchase was supposed to be closed at the end of August.

We'll see.

Andrew, you all have since written a clarification, but I wasn't aware that Arkansas Business had reported on this NASCAR connection in February as well.

We've got two McDonald Countians in my group at work - both are talking with real estate agents there to sell their houses. The agents are saying they heard the deal on the land purchase was supposed to be closed at the end of August.

We'll see.

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW (and given the junk that's happened with the Arena, etc. I'm now very cautious on these things),

A different lady from McDonald County who works with me told me:

- Her son is a draftsman who works with a firm that is drawing up plans for this McDonald County racetrack (the Arena had architectural plans as well, albeit desultory ones);

- Apparently the last family that was holding out to sell their land (this woman said their farm had been in their family "forever") indeed has agreed to sell to the track developers.

She, too, thinks this is going to happen so we'll just have to have patience and see.

FWIW (and given the junk that's happened with the Arena, etc. I'm now very cautious on these things),

A different lady from McDonald County who works with me told me:

- Her son is a draftsman who works with a firm that is drawing up plans for this McDonald County racetrack (the Arena had architectural plans as well, albeit desultory ones);

- Apparently the last family that was holding out to sell their land (this woman said their farm had been in their family "forever") indeed has agreed to sell to the track developers.

She, too, thinks this is going to happen so we'll just have to have patience and see.

The part about her son drafting the plans is most likely true. I've actually seen the preliminary plans for this complex. I won't say too much since I'm not sure how secret they are trying to keep it right now but if this thing does end up being built it will be impressive. Nascar oval track, drag strip, road circuit, dirt track, cart track, shopping mall, hotel, and golf course. The land is right along the new freeway just east of the Anderson exit. You will be able to see it from the freeway. Unfortunately I have no idea what the time frame for the project is or at what stage the planning is at. I heard everything at this point was preliminary for the cities and state of Mo.

• 4 months later...
Does anybody have any new info on this?

Personally, I would like to see a dirt track because it's cheaper and I'd like to race myself

without having to go all the way out to West Siloam in OK. A NASCAR track would be cool just don't really want it.

Archived