Former Charlotte stores

mallguy

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who remembers the water slide mountain that used to be on South Blvd approximately across from were the Toyota place is today? Or even more obscure, the water slide mountain that used to be in the triangle formed by the intersection of North Tryon and Eastway drive?

I remember both, barely. We rarely went to those areas, and I never went on them. I did slide at PTL, but that was much later. Wasn't there a gaint rocking chair up on Eastway. I think it actually was there for a long time.

Who remembers the water slide mountain that used to be on South Blvd approximately across from were the Toyota place is today? Or even more obscure, the water slide mountain that used to be in the triangle formed by the intersection of North Tryon and Eastway drive?

i remember the water slide mountain on s. blvd - very well. most of my early charlotte memories are from the southside to uptown. having said that - alot of my memories are of pine forests.

of course reading some of the previous posts - has my mind jogging and i remember alot of what has been mentioned.

Who remembers the water slide mountain that used to be on South Blvd approximately across from were the Toyota place is today?
I grew up over that way and yes - Me and my brothers actually went there as kids and I still remember it clearly! As you would know, there was practically nothing else out there back then. Newcomers can only imagine...

I think that pic is from the Putt Putt on Albermarle. I'm pretty sure there was already an Advance Auto parts open next to it, away from Independence, by the mid-80s. While driving by during a visit after moving away, it looked like the Albermarle Putt Putt added animals to the course, since the obstacles themselves were pretty plain. There was also a Putt Putt on Woodlawn near the South Blvd intersection. It had a smaller arcade than the Albemarle location, and a lot smaller than the one at Queens Park movie theater/former drive in. I think it was closed by the early-mid 90s.

I was on either side of 10 at the time, but I'm pretty sure I remember the Goony Golf T-Rex being *huge*. I think its eyes were light bulbs and it had a caveman by a string that he would pull up and down like a yo-yo that you had to knock the ball through. The other 18 holes had the big purple people eater where you had to knock the ball in the mouth when it opened and other crazy obstacles. One hole was "boot hill" with tombstones of billy the kid and others.

Goony Golf was next to a drive in eatery, probably the afore mentioned South 21. Looking at Google maps, I want to say it was just west of where the Eastway/Wendover bridge is now.

I was going to ask about Pizza etc. and the roller skating rink just off Albermarle! I couldn't remember the name of it, but we ate at that buffet at least once a month for years! The steak place on Albermarle was Steak and Ale, but we ate at the Sizzler nearby on Independence. (Edit) We saw a lot of movies at the Regency because it was close (the other nearest theater was on Independence near Goony Golf diagonally across from Eastway) and only a dollar! We tried to go see Raiders of the Lost Ark there twice but it was sold out before finally seeing it on the third attempt.

I remember both water slide mountains, though never went on either of them. The North Tryon/Eastway one was way across town, so i think we only drove by it once, at night. I thought it was a waterslide, but my parents told me it wasn't, since they didn't want to have to drive back there. I think the one on South blvd. was Zoom flume, with four lanes that curved slightly as they went down the hill. That was the one of the last things out there down South Blvd. till you got to Pineville.

After my parents split up in 1980, dad moved to an apartment complex near Archdale and Old Pineville Road, adding to my memories over there. It looks a lot different now from the sattelite maps, and I've heard the neighborhood is not what it was then.

Man, your memory is scary-good! It's only after reading your post that I started recalling some of these details about my childhood surroundings:

• I spent many teenage weekend nights at the Putt-Putt on Woodlawn playing foosball but we went to the Albemarle Rd. locale occasionally
  • I remember Queen Park's grand opening clearly because I was in high school at the time and me and several of my buddies went to see Sylvester Stallone in "First Blood" two or three times the first week! On that note, I actually remember the drive-in theatre that was torn down for QP to be built.
  • That T-Rex at the Gooney Golf did have glowing, ominous eyes!
  • I thought of the places where I skated as a kid - Kate's on Old Pineville near Woodlawn and the Skate Palace on South Blvd. just past Arrowood.
  • That other theatre you're thinking of is most likely the Capri
  • That, in turn, reminded me that long ago Southpark mall had a theatre behind it in a strip building that also included a grocery store.
  • You're right about the Zoom Flume too! I would have never remembered the name!
  • The apartments your mentioned must have been the Carriage House Apts. If not there then it had to be Lake Mist. I grew up a few blocks from there. Back then, there was a 7-11 at the intersection. And yes- You're correct about the ol' hood.

Just a few more, not too distant memory stores. There were Phar-Mors all over which was the mega pharmacy concept. And also, I remember the sense of civic pride when Charlotte got an Incredible Universe....not many cities at the time had them, and it really seemed like we had hit the big time then.....of course they didn't last more than a couple of years.

One store that raelly sticks in my mind is Famous Mart....my mom used to buy all my dad's suits there. I liked it because they had a $0.01 gumball machine, and the revolving display case for their wallets that I would endlessly make revolve forward and backward. I know that they were in Amity Gardens until recently, but I feel like they had another location before that, anyone know where? Afterward, my mom would take me to the Baskin Robbins on Independence and Sharon Amity, which amazingly lasted forever (it might even still be there)

(Edit) We saw a lot of movies at the Regency because it was close (the other nearest theater was on Independence near Goony Golf diagonally across from Eastway) and only a dollar!

Ahh that must be the Capri movie theater. It was the major theatre over there at the time. The only movie I ever remember seeing in the Capri was the first Star Trek movie in 1979. lol Independence certainly has changed a lot since those days.

Dad lived between Cherrycrest and Montcrest on Woodwinds. We spent many a summer afternoon at the pool near the lake and clubhouse. I don't remember the name of the complex... maybe Montcrest?

Archdale park opened right before he left. We would take Archdale to 77 and play on that crazy tall slide behind the Hardees that eventually rusted out and was torn down. My sister and I were often dumped off at the Skate Ranch (forgot that name!) on South Blvd when he and his new girlfriend/current wife wanted some "alone time". I remember the 7-11 too! I wanted to go a few times, but dad said we were almost home, so we could wait and get a drink or snack there.

We used to play golf (well he played and I watched) on the par 3 course across South from the Skate Ranch, south of what is now Arrowood where the Winn Dixie was.

The movie theater was the Capri (twin?) I know we saw E.T. there, and might have seen Star Trek I, which mom thought was going to be like Star Wars. Ooops! I never saw a movie at QP, either drive-in or theater. But it was a big deal with the drive-in shut down, and when the new theater opened with maybe six or eight screens? Which was huge back then.

Dad moved near the Park Road extension/51 intersection in the mid 80s. I went to the incredible universe once, and it was just room after room of stuff. I didn't see the point, but did get a pc gaming magazine there.

After we moved but would go back to visit dad, it was interesting to see how everything seemed to change. Riding around Independence, 51, Albemarle, and South Blvd, I could name what everything *used* to be.

There used to be a Krispy Kreme near Crockett Park, where the Os/Knights used to play. There also used to be a store with all the windows covered and XXXs that I would ask about but never went in lol. I don't remember what street that was off of though.

That was my first job! The old water slide on S.Blvd. A more accurate location would be where the new Wendy's is now. Just before the Golden Corral on the right (heading south). It sat abandoned for many years after it closed.

I also remember the "slide slide" as we called them. The ones with the burlap bags. There was one at both Putt Putt's. The one by Zayre on Woodlawn & South Blvd, and the one on Albemarle Rd. Those things were fun!! But if you fell off your burlap, you'd get major burns from the fiberglass slide. Kinda like a rug-burn, but instead, from fiberglass.

My sister got burned pretty bad once.

Just a few more, not too distant memory stores. There were Phar-Mors all over which was the mega pharmacy concept. One store that raelly sticks in my mind is Famous Mart....my mom used to buy all my dad's suits there. I liked it because they had a $0.01 gumball machine, and the revolving display case for their wallets that I would endlessly make revolve forward and backward. I know that they were in Amity Gardens until recently, but I feel like they had another location before that, anyone know where? Afterward, my mom would take me to the Baskin Robbins on Independence and Sharon Amity, which amazingly lasted forever (it might even still be there)

Phar-Mor was a great drug store with really good prices! My wife and I each shopped there even before we ever met and both lament it's departure from the area. Famous Mart had a location on Wilkinson I think. A friend told me about their liquidation sale at the Amity Gardens SC and I went there that one and only time but took advantage of some awesome deals! Baskin Robbins is still there to my knowledge.

I'll add Burger Chef on S. Blvd (near Tyvola) and Pal Joey's on S. Blvd. near Tyvola.

I use to love Burger Chef's burgers. From what I remember they had lot's of warm mustard.

Pal Joey's was a popular hangout during the 70's to shoot pool, pinball and Foosball. It was an old gas station that had been converted.

Both these places were in the spot where an auto parts store is now.

I'll add a real goldy-oldie!

Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor at Eastland Mall.... sort of a "Gay 90's" theme....(1890's, that is) :rolleyes: It was pure shtick... but as a kid I loved the place! They had burgers and sandwiches...cake... ice cream.... a cool player-piano... everything a young kid could want! If you went on your birthday you got a free sundae.... :good:

Does anyone else remember them at Eastland? They were a good-sized chain in the 70's. Apparently they're still around but not nearly as many as back then. Here's more about them:

http://www.farrellsusa.com/story.html

Was Farrell's near the movie theater and the food court entrance from the parking deck in Eastland? Looking at the pictures of the handlebar mustaches on that website, I think that was the place!

I think we took a class trip there, and remember it being really cold in the walk-in freezer.

The "Uncle Moe's" episode of the Simpsons, reminded me of it, but I couldn't remember the name.

Was Farrell's near the movie theater and the food court entrance from the parking deck in Eastland? Looking at the pictures of the handlebar mustaches on that website, I think that was the place!

I think we took a class trip there, and remember it being really cold in the walk-in freezer.

The "Uncle Moe's" episode of the Simpsons, reminded me of it, but I couldn't remember the name.

Yes, that's it. That's exactly where it was located.

Next door do it, across from the movie theaters, was a restaurant called Tuesday's (not the Ruby Tuesday we know today). Tuesday's eventually became Annabelle's (and perhaps something after that before becomming a video arcade).

Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor at Eastland Mall.... sort of a "Gay 90's" theme....(1890's, that is) :rolleyes: It was pure shtick... but as a kid I loved the place! They had burgers and sandwiches...cake... ice cream.... a cool player-piano... everything a young kid could want! If you went on your birthday you got a free sundae.... :good: Does anyone else remember them at Eastland?
Was it at the base of the staircase with the entrance to the restaurant at the corner? I remember going there one or twice and it always being an event for us kids! Man that takes me way back! I haven't even thought of that place in like forever and don't know if I ever would have! Those really were the days!

Was it at the base of the staircase with the entrance to the restaurant at the corner? I remember going there one or twice and it always being an event for us kids! Man that takes me way back! I haven't even thought of that place in like forever and don't know if I ever would have! Those really were the days!

That's the place! Whenever someone celebrated a birthday, they would bang on drums, the lights would flash, whistles and bells would sound. :w00t:

From a 7 or 8 year old's perspective, it was awesome! (My poor dad tolerated it on more than one occasion just for me). :blush:

• 1 month later...

Does anyone rememeber Brendles? It was like a service merchandise. How about Hot and Now burgers? I remember them giving mcdonalds a run for their money. Everyone was down to 35 cent a burger!

I see one resturant making a comeback is Arthur Treachers. I think they were on south blvd years ago. I was at concord mills a month ago and there they were in the food court with Nathans Hot Dogs.

This is a cool thread, I remember uptons, and how about Pet Stuff. I went to work for Pets Mart when they were first here in 93, and Pet Stuff was king all over charlotte.

That's the place! Whenever someone celebrated a birthday, they would bang on drums, the lights would flash, whistles and bells would sound. :w00t:

From a 7 or 8 year old's perspective, it was awesome! (My poor dad tolerated it on more than one occasion just for me). :blush:

We had them in chicago when I was little. I was taken their for my birthday. Man I am getting old!!

One place near my house is gone after over 20 years +, Carolina Pottery closed its doors dec 31st 2006.

Also, Crossroads mall is going to be revamped to be a latino marketplace.

I see one resturant making a comeback is Arthur Treachers. I think they were on south blvd years ago. I was at concord mills a month ago and there they were in the food court with Nathans Hot Dogs. .....

They went out of business around 1984 or so and their building is now the El Cancun at the corner of Tyvola and South. That El Cancun was the first for that chain.

Archived