Former Charlotte stores

mallguy

Thompson's Bootery and Bloomery - used to stand on the SE corner of Independence and Pecan, back when that was a stoplight intersection, prior to that part of Independence becoming a freeway. It had all sorts of revealing lingerie on manequins in the display window. And from time to time, there would be a live model in the window! I'm surprised there weren't more accidents there because of that, especially considering that was a very busy intersection and Independence had a fairly substantial curve directly in front of the store.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realize there are still some Krispy Kreme's around, but the original one in Charlotte (at the corner of Independence and Hawthorne) bit the dust in the early 90's. As I mentioned in my post above about Thompson's, this was before Independence was turned into a freeway and that was an intersection with a stoplight. Looks NOTHING like it did back then. I dearly loved that old KK and I remember my mother used to say that if we ever drove by and the "Hot Doughnuts Now" sign was on, we had to stop! To this day I can remember practically every detail of that place. Some of the same women worked the front counter for YEARS. Surely somebody somewhere has photos of that old Krispy Kreme.

Thompson's Bootery and Bloomery - used to stand on the SE corner of Independence and Pecan, back when that was a stoplight intersection, prior to that part of Independence becoming a freeway. It had all sorts of revealing lingerie on manequins in the display window. And from time to time, there would be a live model in the window!
That really takes me back! My mom used to tell me that whenever we drove through that intersection but I never knew if it was true or not. Just curious - Did you witness this firsthand or is it possible that it was simply a rumor? And you mentioning the KK store reminds me of how that whole area looked back then - which was totally different! It's amazing how, when the landscape changes, you quickly forget how it looked prior to that. I, too, would love to see any photos of this area of town!

P.S. - Thanks for the memories!

I believe all Spoons became Snoops...at least the one in Elizabeth did. There were other Spoon's around. One at Cotswold Mall (when it was called that), one up Brookshire. I'm sure there were more. I thought they were pretty good.

I know Richway's was mentioned, but then came its predecessor, Gold Circle.....which eventually became a red circle known as Target.

There was also the chain HQ's (Home Quarter's) which was a home improvement superstore.

H Dundee's was on Independence (I think) and at the Arbouretum, which was an Outback knock off.

Also, I can't believe know one mentioned the Piece Goods Shop. They had Charlotte sexiest retail space at the corner of Albemarle and Independence. A great modernist building, that was sadly leveled for the current interchange.

Charlotte also had a Peugeot dealership, back when those cars were sold in the US. It was located on Independence located near the CompUSA (which was a Lionel Toy Warehouse).

Also, right by there was one of Charlotte venerable, old guard hardware stores. Independence Hardware (an ACE franchisee).

This is a recent photo of what used to be the Hungry Fisherman. It is a place called TBonz today. (if I remember correctly been a long time since I was at the HF)

Picture%20008.jpg

I wouldn't suggest Tbonz. It is decent food, but I have heard horror stories about the way the kitchen is run.

It's actually T-Bones http://www.tbonesonthelake.com/ I've been there once many years ago.. yeah it was decent maybe a bit overpriced (i guess you're paying for the view)

H Dundee's was on Independence (I think) and at the Arbouretum, which was an Outback knock off.

Also, I can't believe know one mentioned the Piece Goods Shop. They had Charlotte sexiest retail space at the corner of Albemarle and Independence. A great modernist building, that was sadly leveled for the current interchange.

Forgot about H Dundee's. I went to the Arboretum location once. It was decent, I seem to recall. Don't think it lasted that long. About Piece Goods - I thought of it when Flakey Jakes was discussed earlier in this thread because it was located beside it. I just couldn't remember the name of it. It was a cool building - It was a round structure with floor to ceiling glass across the front. Drove by it a million times but only purchased something there once. I just now remembered that the original Lebo's store was on the other side of Piece Goods and a nightclub called 2001 was behind it. Very popular nitespot for a long time. Speaking of floor to ceiling glass - Did anyone mention Top Of The Tower yet?

The Piece Goods Shop at Independence/Albermarle was a car dealership showroom before that, hence the large parking lot to the south. I want to say it was a Ford dealership, maybe Town and County Ford before they moved further down Independece close to Idlewild?

When the dealership left, the nightclub 2001 was in the back/service area, Piece Goods was in the showroom, Cinema and Drafthouse (second run movies and beer?) was behind Piece Goods, and one of the first Chuck E. Cheese locations was in the part closest to Lebo's. I lived near East Meck from 1977-mid 84, and was only 10 when we moved, but I remember a lot from that area.

I used to go to church near the Independence Krispy Kreme, but only got donuts there a few times. The church was wiped out during the freeway widnening too. I haven't been through there since, but want to someday soon. I need to see dad (near Ballentine) and check out the Crate and Barrel furniture selection at the South Park store.

Not too far from Piece Goods, there used to be a Slugs location on Independence for people who didn't want ot go into downtown. And the guy who sold used cars who ended every TV commercial with "we're dealin' ". Gooney Golf on Independence always seemed more fun than the Putt Putt on Albermarle, with the big dinosaur, etc. Eventually they had a well-stocked arcade and go-kart track too.

I vaguely remember the "live model in the window" thing too. Maybe they did it once as a publicity stunt, and people kept looking for it from then on? I would watch it at least half the times we went by and the models *never* moved.

You know, I can almost see those cars on display in that showroom up on the hill but it's a very vague memory at best. I grew up on the other side of town and didn't get over there much until later on when I got myself a set of wheels. If you didn't mention it I may not have ever recalled that. Another thing I thought of was a teen niteclub approximately where the Cinema and Drafthouse (which I also forgot about until you brought it up) was. That's Slug's location was called "Slug's Choice" and my mother always had great things to say about it. That car dealer on Independence is Jim Sampson of Courtesy Auto Sales. He's still in business - just a little further down the road. Did you know that there was a rumor going around that the We're dealing! slogan had dual meanings? I also forgot about Gooney Golf! I agree with you that it was way cooler than PP! I know I went there as a kid but can't recall exactly where on Independence it was. Help me out on that one. :)

It's actually T-Bones http://www.tbonesonthelake.com/ I've been there once many years ago.. yeah it was decent maybe a bit overpriced (i guess you're paying for the view)

Indeed. Unfortunately I have not been to a good restaurant as far as food goes, on either Lake Norman or Lake Wylie. They tend to be way overpriced and the food just so-so to really bad.

On the question of Town & Country at the intersection of Albemaro & Independence, yes that was the location of their showroom before they moved to where they are now.

That Krispy Kreme at Independence & Hawthorne was a Charlotte landmark and like so many of the city's landmarks, is just a memory now. That was one of the last KKs that actually used their own boiled icing on the doughnuts instead of the pre-packaged stuff they stores use today.

There was also a steak restaurant right on Albemaro near Independence where the inside resembled a medieviel building. It was there for a long time and closed when the building burned down. Anybody remember the name of that place?

There was also a steak restaurant right on Albemaro near Independence where the inside resembled a medieviel building. It was there for a long time and closed when the building burned down. Anybody remember the name of that place?
It was the first building on the right after you turned left onto Albemarle, correct? I can't recall the name but I'll ask my mom and see if she remembers. ;)

I only went to Gooney Golf once...the rest of the time was Putt Putt. In that same stretch of Albemarble was Chisolm's Steak House (I believe for that, it was the original location of Mama Ricotta's, but I could be wrong), but better still was the restaurant that used old rail cars (at the corner of Sharon Amity and Albemarle). The best table was the lofted section of the caboose. The name escapes me...The Station? The Depot? Further down Albemarle was Grady's, which later became Casa Gaerdo, then later the Black Eyed Pea, and now, I have no idea. Further out still was the Regency 4 cinema, where I saw Back to the Future, right behind Charlotte's first Daryl's......I obviously grew up not too far from there :)

The restaurant that was built around an actual rail car was mentioned earlier in this thread so I don't want to take credit for remembering the name but it was called Victoria Station. We did go there a time or two long ago but I couldn't remember the name either. lol I know Grady's was a big success for a long time but, personally, I never ate there. Casa Gallardo was actually in a different (but nearby) building than Grady's. ;) There was another location in Charlotte at the Park Road Shopping Center BTW. The Regency Theatre was Charlotte's first dollar moviehouse I believe and I remember the fanfare when it first opened. Hard to believe it's gone now that I stop and think about how successful it was back then.

A couple other restaurants worth mention...The Sandpiper (burned down I believe on Independece), The Barvarian House (on East.....mmm), The Rheinland House (PRSC), Golden's Chicken (many locations...all serving the Ugly Biscuit :) ), and my personal favorite, Pizza Etc. (two locations, 1 on Sharon Amity, and another on Old Harris between Lawyers, Albemarble and Harris Blvd.) The owner was from Buffalo, and it was the absolute best pizza in the city. The Old Harris location had a pizza buffet that was heaven.

Right across Harris Blvd from it was Roll-A-Round roller skating rink.

I think you're referring to Steak & Ale, right? It burned at some point in the mid or late 80's and never re-opened. I only ate there once...the night of my senior prom in 1981. For those of us down in Union County, it was commonplace to drive to Charlotte and eat at places like that at the time. If I could've afforded it then, the best steak on that side of Charlotte would've been at the Meadowview Steakhouse on Independence in Matthews. Of course, that spot is now underneath the onramp from eastbound Hwy. 74 to southbound I-485. :(

That really takes me back! My mom used to tell me that whenever we drove through that intersection but I never knew if it was true or not. Just curious - Did you witness this firsthand or is it possible that it was simply a rumor?

I have a distinct memory of seeing a live model in the Thompson's Bootery and Bloomery window as I sat in the backseat of the car, sweltering in the non-airconditioned heat while we were stopped at the traffic light at Pecan. (To clarify, I was the one sweltering in the backseat...not the lingerie model). They didn't move around -- they stood there and were as still as possible, so you would have to look fairly closely to notice. And as I recall, that window couldn't have been more than 8 or 10 feet from the road.

But who knows? Maybe after always hearing that they had live models in the window, my mind created the image. At my advanced age it's hard to say! ;)

Gooney Golf on Independence always seemed more fun than the Putt Putt on Albermarle, with the big dinosaur, etc. Eventually they had a well-stocked arcade and go-kart track too.

I used to bug the ever livin' crap out of my parents, begging them to stop at the Gooney Golf with the big red T-Rex on the way up Independence. They never did.

The Thompson's Bootery or Thompson's Shoes at Independence and Pecan used to have

a big wooden contraption that would actually take x-rays of your feet, supposedly to

help fit you with the right size shoe.

Also, the Purple Penguin nightclub was big in the late 1960's at Pecan and Central (Central

Square Shopping Center).

Colonial Grocery Store at PR Shopping Center, later became Big Star (it's now a HT). At the

opposite end of the strip was the A&P.

Best of all, who remembers Airport Park, an amusement park on Wilkinson near the airport?

Had a little train, small coaster, merry-go-round and numerous other rides. Suttle's Swim

Club on Wilkinson also had a ferris wheel and merry-go-round, along with the largest pool

in the area.

Ok yes it was Steak & Ale. You are also right about the old steak houses in Charlotte. Two that I remember are Cosmos steakhouse that used to be on Independence and the grotto like Charcoal Room at Staley's steak house on Wilkenson blvd. They knew how to properly marinade and grill a steak which the fru fru expensive chain places we have today are clueless about.

I definitely recall shooting pool underground where I'm pretty sure the bowling alley was located. I only went there one time but I distinctly remember walking down a flight of stairs from street level to get to this pool hall. Must have been a business that opened up there long afterwards. I also recall eating at a popular Italian restaurant that opened up above it. I believe it was in the old Cavalaris space. It was either the Spaghetti Factory or Warehouse. I'm confused about the name because, at about the same time, a similar chain opened a location in the South End and I eventually tried both. They were competing chains and, to me, almost identical. They were wildly popular and I don't really understand why they didn't last longer. I'm talking long waiting periods for a table even though both of the buildings were enormous.

Archived