How can downtown GR tap into exploding GVSU enrollment

GRDadof3

I'm working on a couple of projects that might serve DT students. Although I agree that there is room downtown for everyone, I would prefer developing housing for upper-class students who care about their education, appreciate downtown and are less inclined to stack empty Bud cans in the windows.

Since I graduated from college 36 years ago, I'd appreciate some input on what today's college renter wants in a floor plan. I think I can safely assume that reasonable rent is a given. To keep the rent reasonable the layout must be very efficient (no unnecessary square feet). 2-bedroom units are more efficient than 1-bedroom. Are roommates still the norm? 4-bedroom units are even more efficient. Can you have too many roommates?

It seems that a 2-bedroom unit would ideally have 2 bathrooms.

Each bedroom/study room should have big operable windows and room for a computer desk.

I wonder if the traditional "dining" area could be replaced by an island/bar.

I assume a stackable washer/dryer in the unit is required.

I'd like to see 9 or 10 foot ceilings in the living room and bedrooms with tall windows. Big glass in the bedrooms seems important (although I'm noticing more loft projects with windowless bedrooms).

I assume that big closets are also desired.

Here's a conceptual SketchUp floor plan:

[

very nice... i like the floorplan, keep the tubs (chicks dig'em).... balconies are great but with that floor plan it would be difficult.... what would be the estimated rent??

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm working on a couple of projects that might serve DT students. Although I agree that there is room downtown for everyone, I would prefer developing housing for upper-class students who care about their education, appreciate downtown and are less inclined to stack empty Bud cans in the windows.

Since I graduated from college 36 years ago, I'd appreciate some input on what today's college renter wants in a floor plan. I think I can safely assume that reasonable rent is a given. To keep the rent reasonable the layout must be very efficient (no unnecessary square feet). 2-bedroom units are more efficient than 1-bedroom. Are roommates still the norm? 4-bedroom units are even more efficient. Can you have too many roommates?

Each bedroom/study room should have big operable windows and room for a computer desk.

-I wonder if the traditional "dining" area could be replaced by an island/bar.

I'd like to see 9 or 10 foot ceilings in the living room and bedrooms with tall windows. Big glass in the bedrooms seems important (although I'm noticing more loft projects with windowless bedrooms).

One question: What's up with the red wine on the island/bar? What college undergrad enjoys a nice Merlot with their ramen noodles and hot pockets? That should be replaced with cans of Natural Light, Milwaukee's best, Smirnoff Vodka, etc... :lol:

One question: What's up with the red wine on the island/bar? What college undergrad enjoys a nice Merlot with their ramen noodles and hot pockets? That should be replaced with cans of Natural Light, Milwaukee's best, Smirnoff Vodka, etc... :lol:

I actually ponder that it may be a bad idea to have significant undergraduate housing downtown. Undergrads do not have the same sense of property responsibility and care as others. I was the same way when I was younger and know others were less mature. Also they would actually be a reason for younger families and other wealthy segments not to live downtown.

Development the downtown for

1)Business

2)Non Profts

3) Research

4) Younger Families

5) Older couples w $

6) Entermaintment for those segments

7) Grad Studets

Trust me on this one

• 2 years later...

Archived