Car Sharing

GHartford

Car sharing companies like Zipcar and Flexcar are becoming very popular in certain cities. Basically, cars owned by these companies are parked in certain specific locations. Members can use them when they need to for however long they need to and then return them. The idea is very popular in cities with lots of students who may not have cars. I'm wondering what people think about it working in Hartford. People offer many excuses about not living in the city- especially downtown-which are car related. I can't get to the supermarket. I can't get to a movie theatre. I can't get to the mall. etc....Car sharing would allow people the freedom to live downtown without having to own a car or rely on CT's spotty public transportation system. It would also allow families who live in the city already and who perhaps cannot afford to own a car more transportation options. Here are a couple of websites...

www.zipcar.com

www.flexcar.com

What do you guys think???

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

would NEVER survive here.

I know people who used zipcar when I was in Boston.

55 bucks a month, 8.25 an hour or daily rates after that.

It is not urban enough around hartford for this to exist.

Cars for zipcar are located at strategically located parking lots, all in main squares or roads that are easy to walk to.

It would not work here.

I'm think it might work, particularly because most of the new apartments downtown provide only one parking space included in the rent. A service such as this might encourage couples to dump a car, which would be a huge savings. So, if I lived downtown with my fiancee--which we're considering--I would be able to walk to work. If we kept her car, we'd be all set for the weekend drives, trips to the malls--I regret--etc. But, what if we both need a car? Zipcar would be the perfect solution. Otherwise I'd be too afraid to dump the car altogether because of that one-off time when we need two.

Ive recently looked into this program and NYC and find it actually quite amazing to say the least. It has a lot of benefits and cars are situated in all areas of NYC which means that there are cars in all five boroughs...not just Manhattan where people would expect this service. There are cars in upper upper Manhattan, the Bronx, etc. I think this program might be able to work on somewhat of a smaller scale.

would NEVER survive here.

I know people who used zipcar when I was in Boston.

55 bucks a month, 8.25 an hour or daily rates after that.

It is not urban enough around hartford for this to exist.

Cars for zipcar are located at strategically located parking lots, all in main squares or roads that are easy to walk to.

It would not work here.

Ive recently looked into this program and NYC and find it actually quite amazing to say the least. It has a lot of benefits and cars are situated in all areas of NYC which means that there are cars in all five boroughs...not just Manhattan where people would expect this service. There are cars in upper upper Manhattan, the Bronx, etc. I think this program might be able to work on somewhat of a smaller scale.

Just wanted to point out that they have a no monthly fee option - $10/hr, $69/day. I don't see how this could compete with traditional car rental place if they are located in the same general area, unless someone only needed 2 hours or so.

The fee also includes gas & insurance.

Just wanted to point out that they have a no monthly fee option - $10/hr, $69/day. I don't see how this could compete with traditional car rental place if they are located in the same general area, unless someone only needed 2 hours or so.

The fee also includes gas & insurance.

Everyone owns cars everywhere. It's just an alternative to car rental. This is just a new way to rent cars. The bigger more dense cities were the obvious place to start. And the economic model might have to be tweaked for smaller cities like Hartford.

It's just amazing to me, post anything on this board and the first three responses are -- it will never work here.

It has been my experience that folks saying something is impossible are usually interrupted by somebody doing it.

Just because they are starting it in Providence doesn't mean it will work there either...

But really I think Providence has much more "city" population than Hartford currently does which is the real determining factor here.

Maybe we will be ready in the near future but I don't think we have enough "urbanites" that fit the demographic inside of Hartford just yet to support it.

(This post is emotion free and based soley on thought based on facts and figures. :silly: )

Archived