Energy | Going Green

Florida

Energy{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}Going Green

img.jpg

Clean Energy coming to Tallahassee.

Just incase you all don't truly realize how big this new power plant we're getting in Innovation Park is, read this:

Clean Power by Florida Trend

The move will make Tallahassee the first U.S. municipality to use advanced gasification biomass technology to produce electric power, says BG&E CEO Glenn Farris.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

The Tallahassee Democrat posed a question for the community in today's paper. Basically: How is Tallahassee doing with diversifying its energy uses?

My response:

Collectively, it doesn't seem as if the local community is making much progress on the SOLAR front, but when it comes to other uses, it seems we might be on to something. Consider the fact that Tallahassee will be the first U.S. municipality to use advanced gasification biomass technology to produce electric power with the recently approved BG&E deal, or the number of other different biomass plants that have been proposed for this region. Last I checked, Tallahassee was one of only 2 communities in Florida that uses a Hyrdo-electirc facility as a generator for a portion of our electricity -- given more rainfall the impact of this facility could be quite significant. StarMetro has proposed using solar powered signs in its masterplan for the future to power its various signs at StarStops throughout town, and there seems to be something in the future of Magnetic power generation simmering over at the MagLab.

I'd like to see some automotive testing facilities built locally for us to lead the nation into the use of the next great fuel for our cars, and more done to explore Tallahassee's possibilities with a nuclear power project.

My big question is how will this type of diverisification affect prices? Currently Tallahassee has some of the highest utility rates in the country. The national average cost of electricity is on the order of 9 cents per KW/Hour. Tallahassee charges over 14 cents per KW/Hour. The average in the rest of Florida is 10 cents per KW/Hour. Why are our prices so high?

I don't see Tally making much progress in this area. This is an issue entire nations can't solve, I would be stunned if Tally could.

"I'd like to see some automotive testing facilities built locally for us to lead the nation into the use of the next great fuel for our cars, and more done to explore Tallahassee's possibilities with a nuclear power project."

That takes research and Tally has made just about every bad move to attract research and the money it takes to sustain it.

I TOTALLY agree about the nuclear power plant.

My big question is how will this type of diverisification affect prices? Currently Tallahassee has some of the highest utility rates in the country. The national average cost of electricity is on the order of 9 cents per KW/Hour. Tallahassee charges over 14 cents per KW/Hour. The average in the rest of Florida is 10 cents per KW/Hour. Why are our prices so high?

I've had this talk with Mr. Rick Fernandez in the past. I've been told that when we pay for energy, we're also paying for many of the services that the city couldn't otherwise afford, such as Airport Operations and Mass Transit just as an example.

nuclear power is the quickest way to make the U.S. energy independent. i love it and used to live near one (45 mins). energy is clean and we won't have to rely on Ven/Middle East/Mexico for our energy. this is one area i am actually envious of France...

nuclear power ='s :good:

Taylor County sure has gotten on the coal fired power plant train...what was I read the other day...something about they were rezoning X amount of acres that could potentially have multiple generating plants in the same vicinity? Did I read that right??? :unsure:

Also, another new coal fired plant is about to start construction to the North of us up in Blakely, GA near the AL border. The Ga PSC has actually approved several new proposed coal gasification plants in their State. We need diversity, I'd personally like to see Nuclear options given a little more serious consideration.

Yeah G-man, I've heard about the ones in GA specifically the one in Blakely. That's only about 70 to 80 miles NW of here. From a health standpoint, the one in Blakely will be a bigger polluter for our metro than the one in Perry b/c the prevalent wind direction in this area on a year-round basis is from the NW. Almost all of our winter time rainfall comes through that area. Not good IMHO. While winds and rain from the SE (Perry) are much less than from the NW.

Still I hope the PSC does not approve the coal plant in Taylor County.

I must admit, I did vote for coal on the mail ballot here in Tally. However what I really voted for was holding on to the option for coal and exploring the possibilities. Now that I'm more informed, I believe I'm against it.

^ Yeah Poonther, good points...and speaking of coal plants that happen to be located to the NW of us here in Tally don't forget about Gulf Powers coal plant in Sneads, FL along the banks of the Apalachicola River.

Am I the only one who does not get the part where they say "now all we need to do is find a bunch of trash to burn"?

How could that really be the big question here? Maybe they could offer to add the 2nd pickup back for City solid waste customers and they would get plenty of trash.

But really, wouldn't Waste Pro be happy to deliver trash to them if they offer a lower tonnage rate cost than the county landfill?

Am I the only one who does not get the part where they say "now all we need to do is find a bunch of trash to burn"?

How could that really be the big question here? Maybe they could offer to add the 2nd pickup back for City solid waste customers and they would get plenty of trash.

But really, wouldn't Waste Pro be happy to deliver trash to them if they offer a lower tonnage rate cost than the county landfill?

Archived