Energy | Going Green

Florida

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "biomass" is something of a misnomer in the case of this facility. The name of the company being contracted to build it has Biomass in the name, but if this plant cannot utilize any "wet" trash such as food, which is actually biological, then this really isn't a biomass plant at all; unless that is, it can burn dry organic matter such as wood or yard trash. Can anyone clarify?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder why someone does not build a HUGE incinerator (SP) that could burn all of the trash int he county and make energy out of it. Seems kind of strange that the Biomass one cant use wet trash. Add me to the Nuclear bandwagon also.

• 2 weeks later...

Will the decision to suspend activity on the Taylor County Coal plant result in turning to an alternative energy source? JEA is still a principal partner in this matter, how likely is it that they would support Nuclear, wind powered, hydro-powered, bio-powered, and solar alternatives.

If you all had to rank them... which would you prefer?

Me:

1) Solar

2) Wind

3) Hydro (Which Tallahassee currently has at the Corn plant on Lake Talquin. One of only 2 in the state)

4) Nuclear

5) Bio-Mass

I would say with all of the enviromentalists lining up against any fossil fuel alternative there is only one choice that can be made. NUCLEAR.......

Solar is not going to work in Florida: To many cloudy days (Winter). Hurricanes I would image would do great damage to the panels in a storm. If a major solar power producing center was in the line of fire it would further delay the recovery efforts after the storm passes.

Wind: Kind of the same problem. Inland areas like Tallahassee don't get enough to make it worth while. Also hurricanes could damage the Windmills.

Biosmass: Are we really going to have enough garbage and other materials to burn in this thing to make a major difference and provide for long term reliable power. Also does it too emit green house gases? CO2?

What we really need is one of those Mr. Fusion reactors on Back to the Future. :lol:

Im sorry to go against the trend here but I have to say nuclear power isnt likely at all. Im not an expert on nuclear power generators, but I do know that the last one in the U.S. went online in 1997. The general trend in the U.S. has been against creating or maintaining nuclear power plants, which are not only expensive to keep operational, but have very high start up costs comapared to their technologically less advanced counterparts. I also am relatively sure nuclear power plants require a somewhat large body of water nearby for cooling purposes, or else they need massive quantities pumped in. Either way alot of infrastructure would be needed for a functioning plant to serve the Tallahassee area, which drives start up costs even higher. When it comes down to it, I do believe nuclear power generation is beneficial, but with electricity providers now being forced to be more economically competitive due to market liberalisation, there is no guarantee these long term investments will be profitable.

Wind would never work here because we dont get enough. There are no wind turbines in all of the southeast with the exception of small areas high in the Appalachians.

Solar is out for the above mentioned reason and Hydro power doesnt produce nearly enough to make much impact. After all, Tallahassee gets about 2 or 3 Percent of its power from the Hydro plant.

Biomass I believe is the most promising. There is plenty of fuel available, particularly from agricultural and farm waste in the surrounding counties if not just from garbage pickup here in town. This type of plant would create greenhouse gasses on the oder of the Hopkins plant, it wouldnt be nearly as bad as the proposed coal plant.

I pretty sure that the coal plant proposed was going to reuse waste water from the Buckeye paper mill in Perry. They were going to place the power plant right beside the paper mill. The fenholloway river flows near buckeye and already has been polluted from the paper mill. This was part of the reasoning to put the power plant there. A Nuke plant could use the same infrastructure the coal planet was going to use. There is already a nuke plant an hour or so down from Perry in Crystal River. Its been there as long as I can remember. The next closet one to us is in Dothan, AL.

I hate to use nuclear because of the stigma attached to it and the possibilities of something going wrong with the plant. There just aren't many reliable alternatives left that are environmently friendly and would work in Florida.

• 3 months later...

Nah, after the effort I've had to go through lately just to get the dang city to pick up my trash from the curb once a week, I was already seriously thinking about just throwing it in a barrel and lighting it up anyway. Burning garbage for fuel sounds more satisfying to me than "coverting biomass" or whatever.

(I'm mostly joking around about this, but you know what I mean.)

Now, this is what we have been waiting for...... a Governor who will bring some of the bacon home to Tallahassee.

I would like to know how the meeting went with the Aircraft executives. We may have lost the Piper deal but, we may yet win an even bigger and better prize!

All the Big City Newspapers are giving this trade mission prime treatment except the Democrap. The Sun-Sentinel even has a blogger there covering this story.

http://blogs.trb.com/news/local/south_flor..._us_starts.html

There are over 200 business and government leaders accompanying the Governor on this trip. I wonder is anyone from Tallahassee there with the Governor????????? How can you be the newspaper of record in the Capital City and not give this trade mission better coverage???????? I saw nothing in today's paper about further trade discussions. All the other newspapers are all over this story. BTW, this is the largest Trade mission to Brazil and Chile ..... EVER!!!!

All the Big City Newspapers are giving this trade mission prime treatment except the Democrap. The Sun-Sentinel even has a blogger there covering this story.

There are over 200 business and government leaders accompanying the Governor on this trip. I wonder is anyone from Tallahassee there with the Governor????????? How can you be the newspaper of record in the Capital City and not give this trade mission better coverage???????? I saw nothing in today's paper about further trade discussions. All the other newspapers are all over this story. BTW, this is the largest Trade mission to Brazil and Chile ..... EVER!!!!

Archived