• Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Originally published December 5, 2007

City to install 'smart' electric meters

By Julian Pecquet

DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

CommercialElectricityMeter.jpg

Instead of 12 times a year, imagine getting information about how much electricity you're using every hour - 8,760 times a year.

Tallahassee city commissioners came one step closer to that reality Tuesday night by approving a $36 million contract with Bank of America to pay for the installation of electronic "smart" meters, starting early next year. Annual debt service will be about $1.65 million, but city officials hope the investment will be a money-maker over the long-term by cutting the need for new power plants and transmission lines and eliminating, by attrition, the need for 21 employees who read meters.

Source: TDO.com

Originally published December 13, 2007

EDC hears from green energy companies

By Bruce Ritchie

Democrat Staff Writer

TALLAHASSEE -- About 75 people attended a meeting of the Economic Development Council of Tallahassee and Leon County this morning to hear from companies that are involved in

Energy Kits May Help Residents Save Money

TALLAHASSEE -- The city of Tallahassee is offering free kits to its citizens to help save money on their electricity bills.

The "Be Energy Smart Plus Kits" come with countless tips and tools to help save energy in your home. The kit includes two fluorescent light bulbs, a thermostat card, two low-flow shower heads, a water leak detection tablet and a bunch of information.

"We're really just putting more information and more tools in their hands so they can then change their habits and take more control over their consumption over the utility bills," said Cynthia Barber, the city's Utilities Manager.

If residents follow all the advice in the kit and use the tools it comes with utility workers estimate it could save residents hundreds a year.

The kits will be available to anyone after the New Year at various locations around the city.

Source: WCTV.TV

Energy companies discuss future of Tallahassee's power

Tallahassee and Leon County's interest in green energy projects is putting the community on the national energy map, speakers told the Economic Development Council Thursday.

Panel moderator David Byrne said the city is encouraging conservation and alternative energy to avoid the need for a new power plant.

The city was involved in a partnership that in July dropped plans for a coal-fired power plant in Taylor County.

The Florida Renewable Energy Producers Association is working with the city of Tallahassee, TCC and local policy makers to create incentives for large-scale solar projects, said Michael Dobson, association president.

"Those partnerships are really what's going to make Tallahassee green and make Florida green," he said. "It's going to take that kind of commitment."

Yea a trend that i'm noticing is that even if tally will never have as much development as other places, it is emerging as a national Green City...

It appears we are getting a lot of press for our Green developments, workforce housing and we are the leaders in those areas....

these developments are attractive to lots of people, so it will continue to lure people here in the future.

I saw the little tidbit about burning up waste wood in Innovation Park and cant help but wonder if It'll stink like a paper mill... I know Danfus wasnt looking for stank air from tallahassee. Plus, i work there. Tons of people take thier lunch breaks to walk around the loop- And visitors from all over the world... hummm... All the energy alternative they taked about in the Dem sounded good, except this one.

• 3 weeks later...

Environmentally Friendly States Ranked

Forbe's says the top five worst states include Mississippi at 46, Louisiana at 47, Alabama at 48, Indiana at 49 and West Virginia as the worst ranked state.

Many residents say they try to do their part by buying fluorescent bulbs, driving smaller hybrid cars and recycling.

"The thing is if you do these things not only does it help the environment but it will save you a lot of costs too, which is you know another plus," says Tallahassee resident Amanda Dean.

There's some better news for other southern states, Georgia came in at 29 and Florida at 20.

At the top of the list are famously "green" states, Vermont, Washington and Oregon.

The Forbes Magazine survey took different factors into consideration including energy efficiency, air quality, environmental policies and hazardous waste disposal.

Source: WCTV.tv

Progress stalls on biomass plants

If producing energy from wood waste or garbage is the Tallahassee area's future, that future is still waiting to get started. A proposed plant that would convert garbage into gas still hasn't been approved by the city after a year of talks. Green Power Systems of Jacksonville wants to build the plant at Tallahassee's Southeast Farm on Tram Road. Another company, Biomass Gas & Electric LLC of Norcross, Ga., has a proposed site in Innovation Park. But the company still has not filed a state permit application and has less than six months to win state permit approval under a contract with the city.

Tallahassee Earns Green City Award

Tallahassee is earning statewide recognition for its efforts to go green. The city is the second city in the entire state to receive the "Green City" Award.

The title recognizes the city for outstanding environmental stewardship.

City officials say the people of Tallahassee have earned this recognition by improving and advancing Florida's environment and energy security, but the Mayor says it doesn't end here.

Mayor John Marks said, "We can use compact florescent lighting in our houses, we can make sure to get energy orders in the houses, and to produce electricity in the city of Tallahassee is the most environmental safe manner. We can and will do that, these are things we will continue to do."

A few criteria for the Green City award include the use of poultry fat to produce bio-diesel fuel, solar panels and employee education.

Source: WCTV.tv

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the record: All but 1 light bulb in my house is compact florescent. As soon as I get a chance that 1 bulb will be as well.

How about you all?

^I've changed the majority of mine as well. I can't change the ones connected to a dimmer switch for some reason. I know this b/c it says it on the box and b/c I've tried it. It worked for a little while, but soon that bulb went out. The family that owned this house before us had a fetish for dimmer switches. We've changed a few back to normal b/c who needs dimmers in the bathrooms, kitchen and yes even one closet had one.

Archived