Energy | Going Green

Florida

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Every time an old bulb burns out, I replace it with a CFL from Home Depot (4 bulbs for less than $8 with tax) that have something like a 9 year warranty.

So far I have used 6 of those 8 with #7 about to get installed in the bathroom. I would only have 5 more standard light bulbs inside the house to replace (only 4 more to buy).

I prefer the light from a CFL and the savings on the power bill (these guys don't get as hot so my A/C gets some rest) is nice. I only worry about disposal because these products contain Mercury and need to be disposed of properly.

^I've changed the majority of mine as well. I can't change the ones connected to a dimmer switch for some reason. I know this b/c it says it on the box and b/c I've tried it. It worked for a little while, but soon that bulb went out. The family that owned this house before us had a fetish for dimmer switches. We've changed a few back to normal b/c who needs dimmers in the bathrooms, kitchen and yes even one closet had one.

I got my free energy audit last week. Bad timing as I had been using my heat during the two or three day freeze we had. Well, in those short few days I must have really done some damage. I used 300 kWH halfway through my billing cycle. My normal consumption is right about 385 per month so that was a big shock to me. I'm fearing my electric bill for the month. I may soon work on finding ways to insulate my home a bit more, perhaps buying new windows and doors or treatments for them.

Jan. 11, 2008, 10:33AM

Dynegy partnership one step closer to Georgia plant

Dynegy Inc. and LS Power Group's plans for Georgia's first coal-fueled plant in more than two decades advanced as an administrative law judge upheld the $2 billion project's air-pollution permit.

Georgia environmental regulators acted correctly in approving the 1,200-megawatt Longleaf plant, Judge Stephanie Howells said in a ruling issued today. The plant would be located in rural Early County, about 80 miles northwest of Tallahassee, Fla.

Friends of the Chattahoochee Inc. and the Sierra Club, both environmental groups, challenged the permit last year, saying air quality near the plant and water in the Chattahoochee River Basin would be harmed. "This is far from over," Justine Thompson, executive director at an environmental law firm called GreenLaw, said today. The decision by Howells will probably be appealed in state court within 30 days, she said.

Environmental groups are fighting coal-fueled power projects in Texas and other states amid increasing fears over so-called greenhouse gases linked to global warming. Houston- based Dynegy, owner of power plants in 13 U.S. states, and closely held LS of East Brunswick, New Jersey, have a joint venture to develop Longleaf and other projects.

Today's ruling marks a "positive step toward bringing reliable, economic and environmentally compliant energy to Georgia," Dynegy spokesman David Byford said. Dynegy plans to work on site engineering and power-sales contracts for the plant, which will take about five years to build, he said.

Source: chron.com

• 2 weeks later...

Energy plant proposed for Liberty County

The president of Liberty Industries Inc. of Bristol said his company is looking at other adjoining counties in addition to Liberty County for a proposed ethanol plant.

Liberty Industries is proposing a $38-million plant to produce ethanol and electricity from forest products, crops and municipal solid waste.

The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services said earlier this week that Liberty Industries is receiving a $4 million grant for a plant near Hosford. The company was among 12 companies, universities and research firms receiving $25 million in renewable energy grants.

Sam Hatcher, company president, said his other company, Liberty Holding Co., owns two sites in Liberty County that are being considered for the plant. But the company also is considering Leon County and other adjoining counties for the plant.

Source: TDO.com

^I've changed the majority of mine as well. I can't change the ones connected to a dimmer switch for some reason. I know this b/c it says it on the box and b/c I've tried it. It worked for a little while, but soon that bulb went out. The family that owned this house before us had a fetish for dimmer switches. We've changed a few back to normal b/c who needs dimmers in the bathrooms, kitchen and yes even one closet had one.

Sam's has dimmable CFLs now. They are a bit expensive, but since they last so long it might be worth it. Another thing to consider is that bulbs that are dimmed don't use the full wattage either. So, leaving traditional incandescents in these fixtures is not all that bad.

And for the record, I have a dimmer in my bathroom. Not in the closet though.

• 3 weeks later...

City approves energy-savings plan

The plan calls for the city to spend $49.5 million over the next five years, including $2.1 million this year. But the city will save money in the long-run by foregoing the need for new power plants and other savings, said David Byrne, the city's director of energy services.

It also means more money stays in the local community, instead of going to oil and gas vendors in Houston. Byrne estimated the city

FY 2008 Approved Capital Budget Highlights

Utilities

• Alternate Energy: $2,000,000

• Biosolids for Advanced Wastewater Treatment: $9,420,000

• Electric System Construction & Improvements: $10,025,000

• Energy Efficiency & Demand Side Management: $7,149,376

• Gas System Expansion: $1,394,220

• Repowering of Hopkins Unit 2 Phase I: $2,750,000

• Smart Metering/Advanced Metering Infrastructure: $24,325,000

• 2 weeks later...

Environmental groups cast doubts on 'clean' plasma-arc power plants

Environmental groups said Monday that proposed "plasma arc" plants that can convert garbage into gas that is burned to produce electricity really are polluting incinerators in disguise. The plants have been proposed in Tallahassee and in Okaloosa and St. Lucie counties. Gov. Charlie Crist touted the proposed Green Power Systems plant in Tallahassee in November as an example of clean renewable energy. Green Power Systems proposes using 1,000 tons of garbage per day to produce 35 megawatts of electricity. The plant could heat garbage and tires to 5,000 degrees Celsius to produce synthetic fuel, or syngas, which can then be burned to produce steam to turn an electrical turbine. The controversy hides behind the developing company's claim that they won't have smoke stacks or emissions, but their building plans include stacks and the company had admitted that whatever emissions it will have will be determined by the state review board.

Source: Tallahassee Democrat

• 2 weeks later...

City Manager Announces Internal Reorganization

New Department Created for Green Initatives

March 20

New Department Directors Also Named - Tallahassee City Manager Anita Favors Thompson today announced details on a reorganization of the municipal government. Favors Thompson crafted the internal reorganization to increase internal efficiencies, respond to changing needs and to bring greater focus on priorities. The new structure shifts responsibilities as well as reporting assignments of some departments and Assistant City Managers. The reorganization will save $300,00 for fiscal year 2008 plus and an additional $150,000 over the subsequent three years.

In addition, Favors Thompson also named three persons to head city departments and assigned another director to a new priority area.

Raoul Lavin, a 15-year City employee, has been named as the director of the Department of Management and Administration (DMA).

Dee Crumpler as the Director of the City's Parks & Recreation and Neighborhood Affairs Department.

Medhat "Mike" Tadros has been named general manager of the reorganized Underground Utilities Department, which combines the operation and maintenance of the Water, Sewer and Natural Gas utilities and also Stormwater Management functions.

Cynthia Barber, currently the Director of Utility Business and Customer Services, has been named director of the new Department of Environmental Policy and Resources, which will direct all of the City's "green" initiatives, including creating and monitoring energy reduction programs and seeking grants for green programs.

Read More

• 1 month later...

Was anyone aware this was going on:

Tally vs. Gainesville

I find it pretty cool and interesting. However if it's done on just raw numbers and not weighted, then it's biased towards Tallytown b/c Tally has a population of approximately 160k while G'ville only has approx. 108K. Based on that bias, we better win this one! :)

These things are all fine and good and Im happy that the government seems to be taking this seriously, but I just dont see how we can call ourselves a green city when we dont even have recycling pickup service... I mean where is the closest recycling plant anyway? To me a bigger deal would be to build a state of the art recycling plant.

These things are all fine and good and Im happy that the government seems to be taking this seriously, but I just dont see how we can call ourselves a green city when we dont even have recycling pickup service... I mean where is the closest recycling plant anyway? To me a bigger deal would be to build a state of the art recycling plant.

Im at Polo club on High... maybe its just my apt complex's fault I'll have to talk to my land lord. My roommate has said she is even thinking of taking our recyclables to campus to get them taken out of the trash. I think that if our city wants to really be green that there are big things that they need to do... like making better regulations on residential construction. I know alot of students living in facilities that cant possibly be insulated or sealed in any manner. I think they are heading in the correct direction creating a department. That to me says that this is something more than a directive to appeal to people.

Im at Polo club on High... maybe its just my apt complex's fault I'll have to talk to my land lord. My roommate has said she is even thinking of taking our recyclables to campus to get them taken out of the trash. I think that if our city wants to really be green that there are big things that they need to do... like making better regulations on residential construction. I know alot of students living in facilities that cant possibly be insulated or sealed in any manner. I think they are heading in the correct direction creating a department. That to me says that this is something more than a directive to appeal to people.

• 4 weeks later...

I heard a story on WFSU-FM last week about a plant over in Jackson County (Campbellton or Cottondale I think) that produces wood pellets for power plants to burn from scrap pulp products. In fact, the reporter stated this was the worlds largest plant/producer of these wood pellets. They are then trucked or taken by rail to the Port of Panama City where they are shipped to Europe & mixed with coal at their power plants to reduce the carbon emissions. They apparently burn very hot & produce quick & high heat needed for the boilers & actually reduced the amount of coal needed to accomplish the same results.

My question is why do we have the worlds largest plant/producer of these wood pellets practically sitting in our backyard but we aren't even taking advantage of what they offer? Instead, we're shipping it all halfway around the world to other Countries! Why aren't we looking at this as a solution for some of our energy needs? I'm certainly no engineer but on the surface it sure sounds like we should explore this option. It's a shame we're shipping our local resources to Europe for them to reduce their reliance on coal while we continue to import coal....crazy isn't it?

What am I missing here? :dontknow:

I heard a story on WFSU-FM last week about a plant over in Jackson County (Campbellton or Cottondale I think) that produces wood pellets for power plants to burn from scrap pulp products. In fact, the reporter stated this was the worlds largest plant/producer of these wood pellets. They are then trucked or taken by rail to the Port of Panama City where they are shipped to Europe & mixed with coal at their power plants to reduce the carbon emissions. They apparently burn very hot & produce quick & high heat needed for the boilers & actually reduced the amount of coal needed to accomplish the same results.

My question is why do we have the worlds largest plant/producer of these wood pellets practically sitting in our backyard but we aren't even taking advantage of what they offer? Instead, we're shipping it all halfway around the world to other Countries! Why aren't we looking at this as a solution for some of our energy needs? I'm certainly no engineer but on the surface it sure sounds like we should explore this option. It's a shame we're shipping our local resources to Europe for them to reduce their reliance on coal while we continue to import coal....crazy isn't it?

What am I missing here? :dontknow:

Archived