Arkansas Razorbacks

Mith242

The Razorback baseball team continues with success in the SEC tournament this weekend. So far the Hogs have sent Alabama and South Carolina to the losers bracket by beating both teams 6-0. Pitcher Jess Todd through a record 17 strike outs in last nights win.

Here is a link to the upcoming games and times: SEC Tourney

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, once again the Razorback make it to a SEC Title game and don't come through. At least we did land a Regional for this coming weekend. If we do advace here, we should end up with a Super Regional. These games should bring in alot of tax dollars for the city and region.

Well, once again the Razorback make it to a SEC Title game and don't come through. At least we did land a Regional for this coming weekend. If we do advace here, we should end up with a Super Regional. These games should bring in alot of tax dollars for the city and region.

Its like a recurring trend... football, basketball, and now baseball. At least we didnt loose to uf again.

The Razorbacks had no trouble with Albany last night as we won the 1st round 9-0. We play Oklahoma State today at 6:30. Hopefully we can beat them but it should be much harder than last nights game. Attendance was kind of dissapointing at last nights game with around 8400 fans. This was probably due to the 1 hour rain delay during hte beginning of the game.

The Razorbacks had no trouble with Albany last night as we won the 1st round 9-0. We play Oklahoma State today at 6:30. Hopefully we can beat them but it should be much harder than last nights game. Attendance was kind of dissapointing at last nights game with around 8400 fans. This was probably due to the 1 hour rain delay during hte beginning of the game.

Last night we lost 14-3. I'm not surprised because OSU is a good team with really good record. How did they get into our regional anyways? Don't you get to play easier teams if you're a top seed?

Last night we lost 14-3. I'm not surprised because OSU is a good team with really good record. How did they get into our regional anyways? Don't you get to play easier teams if you're a top seed?

The top seed plays the 4 seed for our Regional, we played Albany and won. Then we had to play the winner of the 2-3 seed game which was OSU.

It was a good afternoon performance for Schmidt yesterday as we coasted against Creighton but the usual dissapointment set in last night was we faced OSU again and lost. Just like in Football and Basketball, the Hogs get so close but can't ever finish. :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

The Democrat-Gazette is reporting that Chuck Barrett will be the new football announcer. Evidently Frank Broyles got his way as KATV was wanting their man Scott Inman to do it. I think Chuck is an excellent choice- he's done a great job announcing the baseball Hogs and is an entertaining radio show host. I hope he keeps doing the baseball job also- he would be hard to replace.

ADG Razorback Football Announcer Article

The Democrat-Gazette is reporting that Chuck Barrett will be the new football announcer. Evidently Frank Broyles got his way as KATV was wanting their man Scott Inman to do it. I think Chuck is an excellent choice- he's done a great job announcing the baseball Hogs and is an entertaining radio show host. I hope he keeps doing the baseball job also- he would be hard to replace.

ADG Razorback Football Announcer Article

I agree. I'm sure not everyone in central Arkansas agrees though. I think people in that part of the state are feeling 'slighted' again. I heard people arguing that Inman is a great anchor for KATV. But I don't think anyone in NWA is even aware of him. I had heard KNWA wasn't going to show the Nutt Houston show which would mean less advertising dollars if the show wasn't shown in NWA. KNWA is a sister station to KARK in Little Rock and they felt it wouldn't be right to show their 'competition' hosting a show on their sister station. I think Barrett will be a good choice though. If we were going to have someone from a station do it I would have rather seen Bo Mattingly do it anyway.

I agree. I'm sure not everyone in central Arkansas agrees though. I think people in that part of the state are feeling 'slighted' again. I heard people arguing that Inman is a great anchor for KATV. But I don't think anyone in NWA is even aware of him. I had heard KNWA wasn't going to show the Nutt Houston show which would mean less advertising dollars if the show wasn't shown in NWA. KNWA is a sister station to KARK in Little Rock and they felt it wouldn't be right to show their 'competition' hosting a show on their sister station. I think Barrett will be a good choice though. If we were going to have someone from a station do it I would have rather seen Bo Mattingly do it anyway.

Mith, I think you are correct- there are indeed people in central Arkansas who are miffed about the selection, namely Wally Hall ( Arkansas Democrat-Gazette sports columnist). Poor Wally- he tries so hard to give the impression that he is objective about some matters that it is very obvious that he isn't. He acts like he so concerned about "dividing a state that is too small and too poor to not stand together" when his very words are helping that fracture to occur. I would add a link to his Sunday column but it is for subscribed readers only. In it he makes sure to note that he isn't for Inman and isn't against Barrett (although he says that Barrett has taken "dozens of cheap shots" at him over the years).

Anyway....after taking several cheap shots at Barrett, Frank Broyles, Houston Nutt, Matt Shanklin and the entire UA administration, Wally lets us know that it is all politics and "most of the state" was disregarded. What a crock. To get the whole story you'll need to read his own words as distasteful as that might be. It actually makes for a good read- he sure knows how to stir the pot at times.

Bo Mattingly? I never would have thought of him. He might make a good anouncer now that he has let up on the sarcasm a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

A little bit off topic, but did anyone notice that Bo Mattingly apparently quit? It will be weird not seeing him on KNWA anymore. Any bets on this will somehow end up as another chapter in the Razorback soap opera? I almost half expect to see rumors pop up that he was fired as a concession for the whole football announcer job, so that their rival station in Little Rock wouldn't get the job.

Anyway back to more direct talk of the Razorbacks. Does anyone have any predictions for the football team this fall? A lot of magazines predictions are out. I think most have the Hogs around 2nd to 4th in the SEC West.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like yet another of the Springdale 5 is leaving. Sounds like Norman is on his way out as well. But overall there's been more good news coming out. Sounds like they've picked up a lot of oral commitments. Surprisingly all the controversy doesn't seem to have hurt recruiting. Although these guys can change their minds before they officially commit.

Looks like yet another of the Springdale 5 is leaving. Sounds like Norman is on his way out as well. But overall there's been more good news coming out. Sounds like they've picked up a lot of oral commitments. Surprisingly all the controversy doesn't seem to have hurt recruiting. Although these guys can change their minds before they officially commit.

I don't like to see good players leave, but if they aren't wholeheartedly with the team and coaching staff it's better they move on. It does sound like recruiting has gone better than expected. How this season goes will have a lot to do with whether the commitments are here next year.

If Casey Dick can consistently pass the ball well and our receivers hang on to it we should have a great year. Otherwise the other teams will stack the line against Mcfadden and Jones and except for the occassional break through run we'll be punting a lot.

Sounds like Bo Mattingly has done good for himself with a radio show. I wonder if he just got tired of the hours and weekends and wanted to spend more time with his family like he said? It was kind of a sudden departure though.

Sounds like Bo Mattingly has done good for himself with a radio show. I wonder if he just got tired of the hours and weekends and wanted to spend more time with his family like he said? It was kind of a sudden departure though.

I didn't know he had a new radio show. Yeah I've wondered about the whole thing. Something just seems a bit odd about the whole situation.

I didn't know he had a new radio show. Yeah I've wondered about the whole thing. Something just seems a bit odd about the whole situation.

I think that his new radio show is on KFAY but KNWA is planning on suing Bo because he may have breached his contract after his resignation.

Anyway, here is more info on the story from the Times: Bo Mattingly

I think that his new radio show is on KFAY but KNWA is planning on suing Bo because he may have breached his contract after his resignation.

Anyway, here is more info on the story from the Times: Bo Mattingly

Thanks for the info Colby. It seems to shed at least a little more light on his leaving. Although I would think there's still some other factors we don't know about.

Thanks for the info Colby. It seems to shed at least a little more light on his leaving. Although I would think there's still some other factors we don't know about.

Quite possibly, he had some problems in the past with drinking and driving or something. But I am pretty sure that is not the case this time. I have heard from a friend of a friend that he is completely past those kind of problems and is focused on his family now.

Quite possibly, he had some problems in the past with drinking and driving or something. But I am pretty sure that is not the case this time. I have heard from a friend of a friend that he is completely past those kind of problems and is focused on his family now.

Yeah I heard about that but was under the same impression as you. I was wondering more if he just had some conflicts with someone else at the station. It just seems like you wouldn't suddenly leave unless there was something going on.

Yea!! Fall football practice is underway at long last. Just 25 days until Troy comes to town to take their beating. :)

:lol: It's ironic hearing about other SEC teams having such a tough schedule. We seem to be going the opposite direction having nothing but creampuffs outside the conference schedule.

:lol: It's ironic hearing about other SEC teams having such a tough schedule. We seem to be going the opposite direction having nothing but creampuffs outside the conference schedule.

Well, we probably needed a year off after the horrible loses to USC but don't worry we have a home and away with Texas for the next two years. By the way...I HATE TEXAS and hopefully we can at least get a home win over them.

Well, we probably needed a year off after the horrible loses to USC but don't worry we have a home and away with Texas for the next two years. By the way...I HATE TEXAS and hopefully we can at least get a home win over them.

Yeah we get a lot more pumped up playing Texas. If we had played USC later in the year last season I think we could have had a lot more competitive game. But I still don't like the idea of playing nothing but creampuffs. I know playing in the SEC is really hard. But I still think there should be at least one somewhat decent team in there somewhere. But like you said, Texas will be coming up. If we can't get Texas after the two year period I'd like it if they picked another Big 12 team. Some of the old SWC teams would be nice, but I wouldn't mind trying to play some of the former Big 8 teams in the Big 12 either.

This is kind of off topic but I thought it was funny. On one of my weekly commutes between Fayetteville and Tulsa, I noticed a new billboard right in the middle of Tulsa. I guess they are trying to recruit a few Sooners to come on over to Arkansas. Since I from Fayetteville and grew up a Razorback fan but graduated from Oklahoma, I got a kick out of it. Most of you probably won't find it near as funny, but here is a bad picture from me driving back by it.

1050645257_e2fdc29fbd_b.jpg

This is kind of off topic but I thought it was funny. On one of my weekly commutes between Fayetteville and Tulsa, I noticed a new billboard right in the middle of Tulsa. I guess they are trying to recruit a few Sooners to come on over to Arkansas. Since I from Fayetteville and grew up a Razorback fan but graduated from Oklahoma, I got a kick out of it. Most of you probably won't find it near as funny, but here is a bad picture from me driving back by it.

1050645257_e2fdc29fbd_b.jpg

Tulsa has always had a large number of Razorback fans. I've never really understood why and I don't think the rest of Oklahoma has as many, but putting that sign there makes sense. The UA has to recruit everywhere just because the recruiting base in Arkansas isn't that large and some instate athletes are going to leave.

What street is that on? Next I go to Tulsa I'll visit it and it'll bring a big grin to my face!

I wonder if it's because people usually always had to go out of state for a lot of jobs when they graduated college. I know a lot of people (especially in the past) ended up in Dallas. Perhaps Tulsa was a bit of the same situation.

Archived