Arkansas Razorbacks

Mith242

Forgot to post this earlier. I'm sure everyone already knows at this point. But Petrino has a new contract. His salary is now over $3 Mil ( I don't recall the exact figure) and he's back to being the third highest paid coach in the SEC. Of course there are incentives and such for making bowl games and so on. Perhaps the biggest thing is the buy out clause. I think for the first couple of years the buy out is about $18 Mil. So I don't see anyone coming in and trying to pry him away from here. Before his contract had a non compete clause that kept him from going to another SEC West team, like Nutt did. But now the non compete clause extends to all the SEC. A few were concerned that Florida might be looking at Petrino. Either way looks like Petrino is here to stay for a while.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm wonder if that buyout clause works both ways- if the UA wants to get rid of him (and we all know it could happen) does that mean they would have to pay him that amount to do so?

Anyway- I'm glad to see the commitment from him. It will certainly help recruitng to have a stable coaching situation and he is a proven winner.

I think Ohio State is going to overlook the Razorbacks. Because the Hogs aren't one of the regular BCS teams and the state itself is somewhat under the radar the Buckeyes are going to be overconfident and the Hogs are going to run all over them. Sure wish the game was a few days earlier, Tuesday is just a strange day for a fb game.

• 2 months later...

I know these 'coffee house' topics tend to get overlooked nowadays. But I've been meaning to mention that there's been quite a few people wanting a change in the basketball program. Attendance has been down quite a bit at Bud Walton Arena. And it seems the patience of fans for Pelphrey has run out. I have to say I've a bit on the fence on this one. I can certainly understand people's frustrations, he has been here a while and he is down to 'his' players now. But supposedly he has a very good recruiting class coming in next year. For one I'm worried that if Pelphrey is fired then there's a good chance some of those recruits will be lost. Then I also wonder about having to start all over again with another coach having to rebuild the program to where he wants it. Then you possibly have to wait a couple more years or so to expect improvement. It's too bad Pelphrey couldn't have started coaching right after Nolan's era was over. I think there could have been a smoother transition. I guess I'm leaning a little more to letting him have one more year to show some real progress. But maybe I'm wrong and Pelphrey just doesn't have what it takes to turn around our program. I admit I had good expectations out of him when he was first hired and would have thought he could have turned things around by now. I'm also wondering if we could end up with another situation where we have a hard time finding a coach who would actually want the job. Unfortunately the head basketball coach here isn't what it was a decade ago.

I know these 'coffee house' topics tend to get overlooked nowadays. But I've been meaning to mention that there's been quite a few people wanting a change in the basketball program. Attendance has been down quite a bit at Bud Walton Arena. And it seems the patience of fans for Pelphrey has run out. I have to say I've a bit on the fence on this one. I can certainly understand people's frustrations, he has been here a while and he is down to 'his' players now. But supposedly he has a very good recruiting class coming in next year. For one I'm worried that if Pelphrey is fired then there's a good chance some of those recruits will be lost. Then I also wonder about having to start all over again with another coach having to rebuild the program to where he wants it. Then you possibly have to wait a couple more years or so to expect improvement. It's too bad Pelphrey couldn't have started coaching right after Nolan's era was over. I think there could have been a smoother transition. I guess I'm leaning a little more to letting him have one more year to show some real progress. But maybe I'm wrong and Pelphrey just doesn't have what it takes to turn around our program. I admit I had good expectations out of him when he was first hired and would have thought he could have turned things around by now. I'm also wondering if we could end up with another situation where we have a hard time finding a coach who would actually want the job. Unfortunately the head basketball coach here isn't what it was a decade ago.

With the loss tonight and the photo/recruiting violation it seems likely that Pelphry is gone. Like you I think it will be really hard to find a top coach that will come here and it will be a another rebuilding process for whoever takes the job. The bottom line is the low attendance and loss of revenue will force a change even though that change is no guaranty that it will raise attendance. I think Pelphry should be given more time, especially with the players that are coming but I doubt that will happen. It would be great to see Mike Anderson come here but I don't see that happening. I actually spoke to him last summer and he seemed right at home at Missouri and said we should support Pelphry.

With the loss tonight and the photo/recruiting violation it seems likely that Pelphry is gone. Like you I think it will be really hard to find a top coach that will come here and it will be a another rebuilding process for whoever takes the job. The bottom line is the low attendance and loss of revenue will force a change even though that change is no guaranty that it will raise attendance. I think Pelphry should be given more time, especially with the players that are coming but I doubt that will happen. It would be great to see Mike Anderson come here but I don't see that happening. I actually spoke to him last summer and he seemed right at home at Missouri and said we should support Pelphry.

Yeah it's just hard to imagine him sticking around another year with a first round loss on top of the NCAA trouble. But like you said I can't see Mike Anderson wanting to come here. For that matter I have a hard time seeing any 'name' coach that would be wanting the job. Seems to me you end up having to gamble on another young unexperienced coach.

I keep hearing rumors that they've worked out all the buyout info and an announcement about Pelphrey leaving will be made next week. But again that's just rumors I'm hearing, nothing official has come out yet. But at this stage I think it would be a big surprise if Pelphrey was somehow able to keep his job for another year.

Well apparently it is official now, Pelphrey is now gone. Sounds like Arkansas is still going to go after Mike Anderson. Then next on the list of Marquette coach Buzz Williams. He's supposed to have some sort of ties to Arkansas. But sounds like they are trying to get a somewhat established coach and are willing to shell out some money to try to land someone. And they want to be competitive with Florida and Kentucky. So now I guess we just have to play the waiting game and see if they can actually get someone who's interested.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW...they got Mike Anderson. That's great! They must have come up with a huge amount of cash. I bet Nolan helped get him here- sounds like he wouldn't have came without Nolan's encouragement.

Yeah Nolan did give 'his blessing' on Anderson taking the job. It's always hard to tell what was true and what was rumor. But supposedly Anderson wasn't really interested at first. He obviously didn't leave under the best circumstances. But I think he eventually realized things have changed in the last ten years. Especially with Jeff Long as athletic director. I haven't heard all the details but I believe he'll be making $2.2 Mil a year. It would make him the third highest SEC basketball coach and tenth highest nation wide. Overall I think this was the best way to work things out for Razorback fans. It should certainly help get more fans interested again, bringing back someone who was around all those years of '40 minutes of hell'. Hopefully fans just don't expect too much too soon. I think we'll be able to keep a number of the upcoming recruiting class. But we may end up losing some. Then there's also word that Clarke wants to transfer now. But he apparently made the decision before Anderson was even hired. Not sure if he might change his mind now. I'm not sure if he made his decision based on emotion because of what happened to Pelphrey. Or maybe he really just wants to start over finish things somewhere else.

• 1 month later...

Ryan Mallett wasn't drafted until the 3rd round today. Must have been due to the negative talk about his off field problems because he should be a great pocket passer much like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are. If he has a good o-line he will have great success.

In better news- Dave Van Horn has a contract extension until 2020. He deserves it.

Go Hogs!!!

• 4 months later...

I'm sure most Razorback fans have already heard rumors on this for a while. But looks like it's getting closer to being official. Texas A&M has officially announced it's planning on leaving the Big 12. And although it's not official everyone is assuming they'll be making some sort of announcement in the near future about joining the SEC. Over all I'm happy on the move. I think they'll be a good addition to the SEC. It also brings back one of the old rivalries the Razorbacks used to have. Over all we just haven't had a lot of luck so far creating new rivalries in the SEC. Although they seem to slowly be building now, but I guess it just takes time. The one bad thing is it would then take away our one quality non conference game now. I also wonder if this would void the deal of playing in Dallas. I don't see why we wouldn't continue playing there. Still gives us some visibility playing in Texas and there's a decent number of Razorback fans in the Dallas area. I suppose in some ways this move could possibly take away from recruits. Before all the Texas high school players had to leave the state to play in the 'premier' conference of the SEC. Now they'll have the option to play in the SEC at Texas A&M and not have to leave the state. But Texas is a pretty big state and I get the impression Petrino's style of play speaks for itself and he'll continue to bring in recruits from Texas.

• 1 month later...

Hey, Mith,

FWIW, we've got a number-one-in-the-nation high school football team in Northwest Arkansas again, at least according to the computer (not the experts, which is a different poll) ranking system USA Today uses.

Hmmm...interesting pattern every couple of years...2005 (Springdale, #2 team in the nation at season's end, USA Today Offensive Player-of-the-year in young Mr. Mustain), 2011 (USA Today Offensive Player-of-the-year in Shiloh Christian's young Mr. Frazier, Bentonville ranked #1 in mid-season). Sure might spice up that "a second high school is needed in Bentonville" debate, though hopefully not for long.

Archived