Arkansas Razorbacks

Mith242

I had forgotten about Heath's meeting with Broyles today. So I was a bit surprised to check out MSNBC.com and see that Heath was fired. I'm a little surprised to be honest. I thought maybe he had done enough in the SEC Tournament and the fact that other vacancies like Kentucky isn't going to help. I just figured they'd wait another year. Apparently not.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems a lot of people think Texas A&M's Gilllispie is coming. Foxsports is even reporting that Gillispie is likely to be announced as the new coach soon. So it's not just local message boards reporting this. That would make more sense to me as to Heath being fired if they already had someone else lined up to take over.

I had forgotten about Heath's meeting with Broyles today. So I was a bit surprised to check out MSNBC.com and see that Heath was fired. I'm a little surprised to be honest. I thought maybe he had done enough in the SEC Tournament and the fact that other vacancies like Kentucky isn't going to help. I just figured they'd wait another year. Apparently not.

Yeah, I was wondering when it was going to be announced. So who is our next coach? I would have to guess Billy Gillispie from Tex A&M.

Also Razorback baseball won the series over #1 Vandy this weekend before a record regular season weekend crowd of over 26,000. They have moved up from #9 to #5 in the polls.

Yeah, I was wondering when it was going to be announced. So who is our next coach? I would have to guess Billy Gillispie from Tex A&M.

Also Razorback baseball won the series over #1 Vandy this weekend before a record regular season weekend crowd of over 26,000. They have moved up from #9 to #5 in the polls.

Yeah I'm not sure when they'll officially announce a new coach. But just about everyone seems to think it's Gillispie. Yeah I forgot to mention the baseball team won the series against Vanderbilt. Nice to see us move up in the polls. I wonder how far they dropped.

Yeah I'm not sure when they'll officially announce a new coach. But just about everyone seems to think it's Gillispie. Yeah I forgot to mention the baseball team won the series against Vanderbilt. Nice to see us move up in the polls. I wonder how far they dropped.

Actually, I put us at #5 but we moved to #7 according to the baseball America poll. Vandy fell to #3. We were so close to a series sweep but we just could not get it done on Saturday.

Heath apparently met shortly with reporters. He thought he really was going to keep his job apparently. According to him he thought some (unnamed) supporters were going to back him up. He said they apparently changed their minds.

Heath apparently met shortly with reporters. He thought he really was going to keep his job apparently. According to him he thought some (unnamed) supporters were going to back him up. He said they apparently changed their minds.

Mith, if his wife was unhappy here perhaps they can find someplace in the midwest or out east where they'll both be happier.

The aTm boards in College Station are abuzz...

Mith, if his wife was unhappy here perhaps they can find someplace in the midwest or out east where they'll both be happier.

The aTm boards in College Station are abuzz...

Yeah but I have to say I do feel bad for him though. I don't think he personally wanted to leave. He also really seemed to believe some supporters/boosters were going to back him up and they didn't. While I can't say I'm looking forward to seeing the basketball program going a different direction I still hate for him to have to leave like that. All I can say is that the university better have someone good lined up.

Still no announcement on a new backetball head coach. I think that it might be over for Billy Gillispie, I thought I saw something about him accepting a new contract w/ A&M through 2012. Anyone else heard anything?

Yeah supposedly one of Gillipie's friends have said he's staying. Sounds like A&M is shelling out the big bucks to keep him. I suppose nothing is final but it doesn't look like it will be him.

Yeah supposedly one of Gillipie's friends have said he's staying. Sounds like A&M is shelling out the big bucks to keep him. I suppose nothing is final but it doesn't look like it will be him.

The local Fox station just reported that a deal with Gillespie had been in the works for a while and fell through when A&M offered him 2 mil a year. A&M's AD informed Frank today. Sounds like there won't be a new coach until after the Final Four.

Who do ya'll like as champions? I think Florida will repeat.

The local Fox station just reported that a deal with Gillespie had been in the works for a while and fell through when A&M offered him 2 mil a year. A&M's AD informed Frank today. Sounds like there won't be a new coach until after the Final Four.

Who do ya'll like as champions? I think Florida will repeat.

This won't look good if Broyles can't get a 'name' coach to fill the position. I think many people would have just have seen Heath get another year than some 'no name' coach come in.

I like Florida's chances, but you never know. Of course I'm rooting for the SEC team as well.

Looks like it will be Florida and Ohio State in the championship game. Florida is looking very impressive in beating UCLA. I imagine they will be a huge favorite to win.

It's now being reported that the University of Arkansas has been granted permission to speak to Memphis coach John Calipari. Never did like that guy- that's as bad as talking to John Brady of LSU. I hope they keep looking for someone that meets my approval. :rolleyes:

Looks like it will be Florida and Ohio State in the championship game. Florida is looking very impressive in beating UCLA. I imagine they will be a huge favorite to win.

It's now being reported that the University of Arkansas has been granted permission to speak to Memphis coach John Calipari. Never did like that guy- that's as bad as talking to John Brady of LSU. I hope they keep looking for someone that meets my approval. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the update Zman. Why do you not like that guy? I have nothing for or against him, that I know of. Onto baseball, Arkansas has won the series with Tennessee. They easily won yesterday and just pulled it off today with a 4-3 win. This is great news for our team. Hopefully they can pull off one more tomorrow afternoon. Sweeping any SEC team on the road will really improve your rankings.

Thanks for the update Zman. Why do you not like that guy? I have nothing for or against him, that I know of. Onto baseball, Arkansas has won the series with Tennessee. They easily won yesterday and just pulled it off today with a 4-3 win. This is great news for our team. Hopefully they can pull off one more tomorrow afternoon. Sweeping any SEC team on the road will really improve your rankings.

Years ago when we played UMASS in a tournament at the start of the season Calipari made some smart remark about the UA and it has stuck with me all these years. Of course, I can't remember exactly what he said but we lost to them so he's on my list. LOL.

If he is hired he'll say all the right things and get my support because he is obviously a good coach and that's what matters.

The baseball team needed a series win on the road. That will be a great confidence booster- especially if they can sweep.

Rumors are that Calipari won't be coming to the U of A either. I'm sorta surprised he'd turn down $2Mil to stay at a Conference USA school. If thing don't turn around looks like we might have to go after a coach most of us probably haven't heard of. By the way Nolan has gotten a job recently. He's going to coach the Mexican National Team. He picked up Spanish while he was down at UTEP.

No offense to Dana Altman, but he wasn't exactly the name I was waiting to hear. He may turn out to be a great coach, but after all the hype and speculation it really feels we had to 'settle' because we couldn't get a big name coach. Which makes you really wonder about the state of things at the athletic department. I'm curious to see if he'll be making the amount Broyles was mentioning to try to lure some of the big names over. I know it's important to not let this drag out too long. But I still have to wonder was it important to hurry up to get a coach to settle things or did Broyles want to make sure he could go have fun at the Masters and settled for anyone he could get for this timeframe.

Sounds like we could end up getting more than just Altman from Creighton. There's talk that their AD could be coming to Arkansas to be head of basketball operations. Perhaps setting him up to to take over when Broyles is leaving. Not sure if that's all rumor or if there's much info to back that up.

No offense to Dana Altman, but he wasn't exactly the name I was waiting to hear. He may turn out to be a great coach, but after all the hype and speculation it really feels we had to 'settle' because we couldn't get a big name coach. Which makes you really wonder about the state of things at the athletic department. I'm curious to see if he'll be making the amount Broyles was mentioning to try to lure some of the big names over. I know it's important to not let this drag out too long. But I still have to wonder was it important to hurry up to get a coach to settle things or did Broyles want to make sure he could go have fun at the Masters and settled for anyone he could get for this timeframe.

I think it is a good choice. I think either him or Butler's coach would have been great. I don't like the idea of getting a big name coach. We've made our fortunes in basketball by recruiting smaller school coaches. Probably Butler's coach would have put us on top again, but I don't know about Altman. I look forward to having a good "coach" and not just a good "role model" (like Heath). Bill Self has been at top programs with top players and not much luck in the NCAA tournament. John Calipari I guess is a good choice, but he turned down NC State last year, and I'm sure Arkansas isn't exactly seen as the pinnacle of jobs for coaches. He would be too expensive anyways right now since we are paying 2 others. And Billy Donovan...you gotta be kidding me...

I think it is a good choice. I think either him or Butler's coach would have been great. I don't like the idea of getting a big name coach. We've made our fortunes in basketball by recruiting smaller school coaches. Probably Butler's coach would have put us on top again, but I don't know about Altman. I look forward to having a good "coach" and not just a good "role model" (like Heath). Bill Self has been at top programs with top players and not much luck in the NCAA tournament. John Calipari I guess is a good choice, but he turned down NC State last year, and I'm sure Arkansas isn't exactly seen as the pinnacle of jobs for coaches. He would be too expensive anyways right now since we are paying 2 others. And Billy Donovan...you gotta be kidding me...

Yeah I shouldn't make it sound like I hate the Altman choice. But I think a number of people aren't too excited yet after all the hype of supposedly bringing in a 'name' coach. I do think most fans will better enjoy his style of play. The players seem to have taken to him rather quickly. I'm sure he'll win over the fans as well. Although I will also say fans are going to expect a lot his first season because it looks like everyone could possibly be staying.

Archived