Goodbye Bloomingdales

Urban92

I just heard on the Business news on PBS that the CEO of the Macy/Bloomingdales is planning to phase out the Blomingdales name completely. Now I do have some wonders. One of them is, what will be the long term demise of the Bloomingdales department store and will NYKers support this change. Feel free to discuss it here.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be horribly disappointed! Bloomies is my favorite department store. Although it seems all of the major dept stores are part of the same conglomerate already, I feel that Bloomies stores do what Macys, Nordstrom, NM, etc. cannot. They have clothing that young men like to wear out every day. The other stores have good businesswear but if you look at the "casual" wear sections in a Macy's you'll find all the plain/boring khakis and polos you can find anywhere else. In a Nordstrom store, the "young men" section is just deconstructed jeans and sweaters. Deconstructed =/= hot or hip. If I want a torn sweatshirt I'd go to H&M and get it for 1/4 the price. I don't know all the designers that you'll find a Bloomies, but I love getting cashmere sweaters there that look crisp and hot, not dated or needlessly embellished. If all of my Bloomies stores became typical Macys I think I'd cry, and then give up on department store shopping altogether.

I think you must have heard wrong...the CEO of Federated had this to say on 02/27/07 on CNBC.

As for the plans to change its name, the company is "focused on Macy's and Bloomingdale's, not a federation of department stores," Lundgren said. "That said, Bloomingdale's is - and will remain - a very important part of the company."

I should hope so, because Macy's blows! Bloomie's in NYC is the best department store I've been to in the US (I went to one in France that beat it). Though with Macy's trying to bring an upscale brand to Chestnut Hill in Newton, MA, I do worry. I don't see why they would compete against themselves in Chestnut Hill with a Bloomingdale's already there.

Archived