Columbus Area Business Wish List

mitchella81

With all the development going on in town i was just curious to see some of the Stores and Businesses people would like to see come to town. Some of mine are:

Dave and Busters

Joes Crab Shack

A real 5 star hotel downtown like Westin

Cheesecake factory

a Lexus dealership(a city our size it makes no sense to go to Atlanta or Montgomery)

Belk

World Market(Auburn just got one we should be next)

Nordstroms or Saks Fifth Ave(old Parisians in Peachtree mall would be perfect location)

Just add some of ya'll ideas and we'll see how this list grows and what actually shows up

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all the development going on in town i was just curious to see some of the Stores and Businesses people would like to see come to town. Some of mine are:

Dave and Busters

Joes Crab Shack

A real 5 star hotel downtown like Westin

Cheesecake factory

a Lexus dealership(a city our size it makes no sense to go to Atlanta or Montgomery)

Belk

World Market(Auburn just got one we should be next)

Nordstroms or Saks Fifth Ave(old Parisians in Peachtree mall would be perfect location)

Just add some of ya'll ideas and we'll see how this list grows and what actually shows up

I ditto all of those, especially the Lexus dealership. On my "must have" list, but, altho can get service there at Jay, as you note, have to go to Atlanta or (for God sakes!) Montgomery for warranty work. The official explanation I get from Toyota is demographics and low average wage. Cant see that changing real soon -- BRAC simply means more of the same young and low-paid workers who are not in the Lexus market.

Same for others on your dream list. Unless and until some high-tech high-paying jobs move in, wont get the first rate stores. If I had to bet, Id say the DT hotel is the most likely. But not until white water is up and running (no pun intended) That keeps gettin pushed back, but the word now is next summer. With that in place and the Riverwalk finished, Columbus should become more of a destination city. Some entertainment facilities -- like D&B -- is also likely. The demographics are definitely there for that.

My wish list:

Restaurants:

1) California Pizza Kitchen

2) Macaroni Grill

3) Taco Mac

4) Bugaboo Creek Steakhouse

5) Ted's Montana Grill

6) Jocks and Jills

Retail:

1) Bloomingdales

2) Saks 5th Avenue

3) Banana Republic

4) Super Target

5) Nordstrom

6) Wal-Mart Supercenter on the southside

7) Home Depot in Midland

8) Major life-style center in Midland near the new Wal-Mart Supercenter development

Hotels/Office Buildings:

1) 20-25 story Hilton or Hyatt downtown with at least 300-400 rooms

2) 30 story mixed-use building along broadway

3) 25 story condo building between TSYS HQ and the new Eagle & Phenix lofts/condos

4) 30-40 story for Aflac downtown!

Road Improvements:

1) Veterans Pkwy - 4 laned from Northside High School all of the way through Harris County

2) Moon Road - 4 laned to Whittlesey Blvd.

3) I-185 extension south of Fort Benning

4) I-14 to become a reality

Car Dealerships:

1) Land Rover

2) Lexis (tired of Lexus of South Atlanta thinking they are Columbus's dealership)

3) Hummer (Hummer in Union City advertises in the Ledger-Enquirer saying they are Columbus's Hummer Dealership!)

4) Infiniti

5) Jaguar

I say in the next 5 years Columbus will have just about everything on my list. I have heard rumors of a lot of these business looking at the area. Just keep our fingers crossed!

My wish list:

Restaurants:

2) Macaroni Grill

3) Taco Mac

5) Ted's Montana Grill

6) Jocks and Jills

Retail:

1) Bloomingdales

2) Saks 5th Avenue

3) Banana Republic

4) Super Target

5) Nordstrom

7) Home Depot in Midland

8) Major life-style center in Midland near the new Wal-Mart Supercenter development

Hotels/Office Buildings:

3) 25 story condo building between TSYS HQ and the new Eagle & Phenix lofts/condos

Road Improvements:

1) Veterans Pkwy - 4 laned from Northside High School all of the way through Harris County

Car Dealerships:

1) Land Rover

2) Lexis (tired of Lexus of South Atlanta thinking they are Columbus's dealership)

3) Hummer (Hummer in Union City advertises in the Ledger-Enquirer saying they are Columbus's Hummer Dealership!)

4) Infiniti

5) Jaguar

I say in the next 5 years Columbus will have just about everything on my list. I have heard rumors of a lot of these business looking at the area. Just keep our fingers crossed!

Yeah i've heard of a few of these also showing alot of intrest in the columbus area. i do believe most will be here within the next few years espcially when BRAC is completed. Which are some of these you have heard are showing a intrest? I can also see the downtown area of columbus becoming more office and high rise hotels witihn the next few years especially when the construction of The Phenixian is complete and CSU's expansion into downtown. Phenix City's Downtown re-development is only going to attract more business to downtown Columbus. Columbus skyline is changing and more and more developers are taking note even with alot of out of town money coming in.

Yeah i've heard of a few of these also showing alot of intrest in the columbus area. i do believe most will be here within the next few years espcially when BRAC is completed. Which are some of these you have heard are showing a intrest? I can also see the downtown area of columbus becoming more office and high rise hotels witihn the next few years especially when the construction of The Phenixian is complete and CSU's expansion into downtown. Phenix City's Downtown re-development is only going to attract more business to downtown Columbus. Columbus skyline is changing and more and more developers are taking note even with alot of out of town money coming in.

I have heard that Jay Auto Mall has been in talks with Lexus for some time now. A friend of mine has heard that they want to purchase Hollywood Connection and use that area for new dealerships. Carmike Cinemas would then build a new Hollywood Connection somewhere else in the city. Also, I have heard that Sheraton Hotels has been looking to build a new hotel downtown beside the convention center. Wal-Mart announced awhile back about building a new Supercenter on the southside once all of the other Supercenters are built. The Columbus Park one is finished (it has been open over a month now), the Midland Supercenter is expected to break ground this month, and the redevelopment of the Wal-Mart on Airport Thruway is expected to start soon. So hopefully in the next coming months Wal-Mart will announce plans for a southside store. Another developer has been trying to get Home Depot to build across from the old Swift mill in Midland, but I haven't heard anymore. The Swift site is for sale which is a great location behind the new Supercenter in Midland. That is the next hot area for growth in my eyes. Not sure about the other restaurants and car dealerships. I would expect to see those restaurants soon though based on the restaurant growth in the city.

I am very interested in knowing which of these in specific are rumored to be coming to town. I am still "exiled" in Atlanta (at least during the week) and so am not as well connected to the rumor mill as I would like! So please pass on any gossip!

Last I heard was that there are no current plans for any major high-rise buildings in DT or elsewhere (ie, Aflac in Wynnton) -- but that info was passed on a while back. In fact, I heard that CB&T had rejected the possibility of even changing the facade of its flagship buiding at

Bway and 12th. Apparently they consider that atrocious 50s marble-and-glass look to be a post-modern classic! If the biggest bank in town wont even consider a makeover of its current hqs, then the outlook for a new highrise from them is highly questionable. Synovus just built the new building. TSYS is a possibility but they still have plenty of room to spread out and no need to go up. So hotels and condos are a more likely addition to the skyline -- at least in the next 5 years. I would love it if KIA built a hq building there. ButI I suppose that they will be more inclined towards Atlanta or LaGrange. However, I am hearing that the KIA bigwigs are expressing interest in living in the Columbus area and commuting up I-185. Seems that the Korean culture is very music-oriented and the CSU School of Music and Rivercenter may be a big draw for them. If enough of the KIA higherups are in residence that could lead to some additional investment. and higher end retail And speaking of rumors, I still hear that a European car mfg (Jaguar?) is sniffing around the Auburn-Opelika area. However, not sure what effect the KIA announcement will have on that -- assuming that there is a grain of truth in the rumor.

I have heard that Jay Auto Mall has been in talks with Lexus for some time now. A friend of mine has heard that they want to purchase Hollywood Connection and use that area for new dealerships. Carmike Cinemas would then build a new Hollywood Connection somewhere else in the city.

I have heard that too. However, apparently Toyota keeps resisting based on the demographics and low-wage argument I mentioned previously. I cant understand why if Jay is willing to take the risk of opening a dealership Toyota is reluctant or why Toyota would even have veto power. I guess that it is a PR thing -- dont want to take the chance that a dealership might fail and give the brand a blackeye? At any rate, I hope that it works out for Lexus -- as it is right near the top of my wish list! I will try to track down the Sheraton rumor if I get down this weekend -- that would be wonderful news!

I have heard that Jay Auto Mall has been in talks with Lexus for some time now. A friend of mine has heard that they want to purchase Hollywood Connection and use that area for new dealerships. Carmike Cinemas would then build a new Hollywood Connection somewhere else in the city.

I have heard that too. However, apparently Toyota keeps resisting based on the demographics and low-wage argument I mentioned previously. I cant understand why if Jay is willing to take the risk of opening a dealership Toyota is reluctant or why Toyota would even have veto power. I guess that it is a PR thing -- dont want to take the chance that a dealersip might fail and give the beand a blackeye? At any rate, I hope that it works out for Lexus -- as it is right near the top of my wish list! I will try to track down the Sheraton rumor if I get down this weekend -- thta would be wonderful news!

There is no reason Lexus should not build a dealership here. The market is would easily support it. Yes, Union City is an hour up the road, but there is still plenty of demand for a an area over 500,000 people. There are a lot of people who own a Lexus in Columbus, and every tag says Lexus of South Atlanta. It's time for those tags to say Lexus of Columbus!

I am very interested in knowing which of these in specific are rumored to be coming to town. I am still "exiled" in Atlanta (at least during the week) and so am not as well connected to the rumor mill as I would like! So please pass on any gossip!

Last I heard was that there are no current plans for any major high-rise buildings in DT or elsewhere (ie, Aflac in Wynnton) -- but that info was passed on a while back. In fact, I heard that CB&T had rejected the possibility of even changing the facade of its flagship buiding at

Bway and 12th. Apparently they consider that atrocious 50s marble-and-glass look to be a post-modern classic! If the biggest bank in town wont even consider a makeover of its current hqs, then the outlook for a new highrise from them is highly questionable. Synovus just built the new building. TSYS is a possibility but they still have plenty of room to spread out and no need to go up. So hotels and condos are a more likely addition to the skyline -- at least in the next 5 years. I would love it if KIA built a hq building there. ButI I suppose that they will be more inclined towards Atlanta or LaGrange. However, I am hearing that the KIA bigwigs are expressing interest in living in the Columbus area and commuting up I-185. Seems that the Korean culture is very music-oriented and the CSU School of Music and Rivercenter may be a big draw for them. If enough of the KIA higherups are in residence that could lead to some additional investment. and higher end retail And speaking of rumors, I still hear that a European car mfg (Jaguar?) is sniffing around the Auburn-Opelika area. However, not sure what effect the KIA announcement will have on that -- assuming that there is a grain of truth in the rumor.

Well it really seems that downtown Columbus is not getting the highrises there all going across the bridge to Phenix City. There are two high rise condos i believe one is 12 stories and the other is 11stories including a rooftop resturant going up on the riverfront in phenix city near 13th and 14th streets. Then i still keep hearing the rumors about Phenix city trying to get a High Rise Hotel near the Ampitheather. What will play out when these buildings start going up and towering over the skyline of Columbus. downtown Columbus will build up higher i doubt columbus would want to be in the shadow of a suburb.

Well it really seems that downtown Columbus is not getting the highrises there all going across the bridge to Phenix City. There are two high rise condos i believe one is 12 stories and the other is 11stories including a rooftop resturant going up on the riverfront in phenix city near 13th and 14th streets. Then i still keep hearing the rumors about Phenix city trying to get a High Rise Hotel near the Ampitheather. What will play out when these buildings start going up and towering over the skyline of Columbus. downtown Columbus will build up higher i doubt columbus would want to be in the shadow of a suburb.

The reason -- I suspect -- that condos are going in PC is residential taxes are lower. A high-rise hotel near the amphitheater makes sense because the Iron Works would be a short stroll across Dillingham St Bridge (and perhaps the room tax is less, but dont know that for sure). Of couse a new highrise near Marriott would be directly across the street from the Iron Works. But a stroll across the bridge is more scenic than a dash across the street. As I have suspected, residential will gravitate to PC and (hopefully) commercial will gravitate to Columbus. But in the long run it is all good. DT PC is not so much a suburb, as actually an extension of DT Columbus separated only by the geographic barrier of the river and the artificial barrier of a state line (actually the state line runs to the high water mark of the river, so that the entire river belongs to Georgia -- the PC riverwalk is actually in Georgia I believe). I dont care where they put them, as long as they keep putting them up!

• 4 months later...

The reason -- I suspect -- that condos are going in PC is residential taxes are lower. A high-rise hotel near the amphitheater makes sense because the Iron Works would be a short stroll across Dillingham St Bridge (and perhaps the room tax is less, but dont know that for sure). Of couse a new highrise near Marriott would be directly across the street from the Iron Works. But a stroll across the bridge is more scenic than a dash across the street. As I have suspected, residential will gravitate to PC and (hopefully) commercial will gravitate to Columbus. But in the long run it is all good. DT PC is not so much a suburb, as actually an extension of DT Columbus separated only by the geographic barrier of the river and the artificial barrier of a state line (actually the state line runs to the high water mark of the river, so that the entire river belongs to Georgia -- the PC riverwalk is actually in Georgia I believe). I dont care where they put them, as long as they keep putting them up!

I hate to say it, but the view from Phenix City is much better than the view from Columbus. Maybe that's why the things with views are going over there...

I ditto all of those, especially the Lexus dealership. On my "must have" list, but, altho can get service there at Jay, as you note, have to go to Atlanta or (for God sakes!) Montgomery for warranty work. The official explanation I get from Toyota is demographics and low average wage. Cant see that changing real soon -- BRAC simply means more of the same young and low-paid workers who are not in the Lexus market.

Same for others on your dream list. Unless and until some high-tech high-paying jobs move in, wont get the first rate stores. If I had to bet, Id say the DT hotel is the most likely. But not until white water is up and running (no pun intended) That keeps gettin pushed back, but the word now is next summer. With that in place and the Riverwalk finished, Columbus should become more of a destination city. Some entertainment facilities -- like D&B -- is also likely. The demographics are definitely there for that.

Definately ditto the Joes Crabshack and CPK. Add:

Costco

Get a Costco and a World Market would come.

Another Lowes in Midtown.

Another Target in Midtown.

Rooms to Go

Bass or Cabelas

Borders Books

More Starbucks' locations...

A Whole Foods Market - that's a big wish, they only go in high-density wealthy areas...

My wish list:

Restaurants:

2) Macaroni Grill

3) Taco Mac

5) Ted's Montana Grill

6) Jocks and Jills

Retail:

1) Bloomingdales

2) Saks 5th Avenue

3) Banana Republic

4) Super Target

5) Nordstrom

7) Home Depot in Midland

Hotels/Office Buildings:

Road Improvements:

Car Dealerships:

1) Land Rover

4) Infiniti

5) Jaguar

I hear the powers that be in Columbus won't allow anything (else) over 5 or 6 stories in downtown, or anything that's not made of red brick. Maybe we should concentrate on 'Midtown' (where AFLAC is) for a skyline... I bet if Aflac built a new tower their current tower would be leased out faster than... some metaphor for something really fast.

I hear the powers that be in Columbus won't allow anything (else) over 5 or 6 stories in downtown, or anything that's not made of red brick. Maybe we should concentrate on 'Midtown' (where AFLAC is) for a skyline... I bet if Aflac built a new tower their current tower would be leased out faster than... some metaphor for something really fast.

I hope that isn't the case. I know that the proposed convention center hotel will have to be more than 6 stories. There is no room to go out downtown anymore. I imagine that it would be 10-15 stories. There was a recent article about W.C. Bradley's development of the condo/lofts at the Eagle & Phenix Mill. The area to the right of the redevelopment is being torn down. The article mentioned high-rise office and condo buildings being built on the site one day. Hopefully Columbus will build up instead of out.

The political Powers That Be are definitely NOT opposed to high rises in DT and would be delighted at the prospect. However, the Old Guard Powers That Be definitely WOULD be opposed to loss of any more historic buildings or to a highrise which was architecturally incompatible with existing red=brick/Victorian motif of traditional DT.

When Muscogee Mills was destroyed and replaced with parking garage, it endangered national historic landmark designation of the ENTIRE riverfront. So I think that that will be a significant factor in location. Note that recent WC Bradley article carefully specified that area being razed and set aside for future highrise was NOT a building with historic significance. While location is primary consideration, I think that architecture is a close second. The art deco Chrysler Building would be compatible. A boring steel and glass box would not. I think that the architect of the AFLAC Tower is on record as expressing remorse over his ho-hum uninspired design. Hopefully that remorse will be remembered if and when a highrise is built DT.

Although midtown is a possible site for another tower, I suspect that there are other locations that may get them first. As I have said before, I can envision a new linear DT runing along 1st and 2d Aves. from TSYS Campus on the South to Bibb Mills on the north. That stretch is perfect for highrises, as it parallels the river and land is available. There are alot of houses there (mostly ramshackle but many salvageable), but not a whole lot of historic value. Moreover, 2d Ave is almost totally commercial and could be replaced without any significant hue and cry over loss of valuable buildings. While the view from Wynnnton would be impressive because of elevation, the view of river and hills to west from buildings along 2d Ave would be pretty cool too. I think that this 2d Ave possibility will become more feasible and recognized if and when white water comes on line. If the put in point is Bibb Mills, then it makes sense to have development up and down 2d Ave -- as that will be the land route that white water users will have to travel. Bibb City is already gentrifying and it is a perfect site for a "village" development with cafes/bars/restaurants catering to the whitewater crowd. Add in development of Bibb Mills as condos/retail and Bibb City becomes the Buckhead of Columbus -- with 2d Ave analogous P'tree.

Other logical possibility for new highrises is the railyards. That is also a perfect area for an Atlantic Station brownfill reclamation. AND it would have the added benefit of removing those trains from snarling DT traffic AND the noise they make at night (keeping residents of midtown awake with their horns blaring!)

It is possible to have highrises AND preserve the traditional look of DT. Lets hope that we soon have the "problem" of determining where to put em and how they look, rather than wondering where the hell they are!

The political Powers That Be are definitely NOT opposed to high rises in DT and would be delighted at the prospect. However, the Old Guard Powers That Be definitely WOULD be opposed to loss of any more historic buildings or to a highrise which was architecturally incompatible with existing red=brick/Victorian motif of traditional DT.

When Muscogee Mills was destroyed and replaced with parking garage, it endangered national historic landmark designation of the ENTIRE riverfront. So I think that that will be a significant factor in location. Note that recent WC Bradley article carefully specified that area being razed and set aside for future highrise was NOT a building with historic significance. While location is primary consideration, I think that architecture is a close second. The art deco Chrysler Building would be compatible. A boring steel and glass box would not. I think that the architect of the AFLAC Tower is on record as expressing remorse over his ho-hum uninspired design. Hopefully that remorse will be remembered if and when a highrise is built DT.

Although midtown is a possible site for another tower, I suspect that there are other locations that may get them first. As I have said before, I can envision a new linear DT runing along 1st and 2d Aves. from TSYS Campus on the South to Bibb Mills on the north. That stretch is perfect for highrises, as it parallels the river and land is available. There are alot of houses there (mostly ramshackle but many salvageable), but not a whole lot of historic value. Moreover, 2d Ave is almost totally commercial and could be replaced without any significant hue and cry over loss of valuable buildings. While the view from Wynnnton would be impressive because of elevation, the view of river and hills to west from buildings along 2d Ave would be pretty cool too. I think that this 2d Ave possibility will become more feasible and recognized if and when white water comes on line. If the put in point is Bibb Mills, then it makes sense to have development up and down 2d Ave -- as that will be the land route that white water users will have to travel. Bibb City is already gentrifying and it is a perfect site for a "village" development with cafes/bars/restaurants catering to the whitewater crowd. Add in development of Bibb Mills as condos/retail and Bibb City becomes the Buckhead of Columbus -- with 2d Ave analogous P'tree.

Other logical possibility for new highrises is the railyards. That is also a perfect area for an Atlantic Station brownfill reclamation. AND it would have the added benefit of removing those trains from snarling DT traffic AND the noise they make at night (keeping residents of midtown awake with their horns blaring!)

It is possible to have highrises AND preserve the traditional look of DT. Lets hope that we soon have the "problem" of determining where to put em and how they look, rather than wondering where the hell they are!

Those are some excellent points with 2nd Ave and Bibb. I agree whole-heartedly with rejecting boring glass and steel. But also reject that only red brick is congruous. And agree that we don't have to demolish to build. There are impressive examples of architecture in downtown that don't have brick (mediteranean, art deco). Though it was a tragedy to have demolished the old courthouse, I actually think that in time present Gov't Center will become known as an excellent example of mid-century modern architecture. But if a constituency wants to essentially rope off an area of DT to preserve as a celebration of brick contstruction, then I'd be down with that. Would it be 14th Ave to 280, and 3rd to the river?

The areas between 2nd and the Expressway would be great for new development. It's location along and adjacent to major highways makes it a good candiate for regional and national retail... after the new rooftops are there. 'Rooftops', nearby residential, is the first thing a retailer looks for. And most progressive developers and planners (ULI, for example) agree that a good mixture is absolutely necessary. If Bibb City is analogous to Buckhead, then maybe Midtown is comparable to, well Midtown (all ATL).

How about this... and maybe this is a better discussion under transportation, or maybe both. But how about creating a 'mixed-use' corridor along the planned trolley trail. Except it becomes a commuter rail. Knowing what we know about fuel, highways and transit. Wouldn't it be a mistake not to go ahead and plan for the future. Other urban areas have gone before us and had to back-track to do it (aka ATL). And one of the big reasons Marta wasn't used in it's early days was that it wasn't convenient. You had to drive to it to use it, isn't that ironic. But now, with Atlantic Station, Terminus Atlanta and other developments, they're actually develing around Marta as if it were an assett like an Interstate. And there are waiting lists to get into these places. So back to Columbus.

What if our city fathers identified the trail as a future commuter rail and made it a TAD district and encouraged mid-rise development with retail, office on the bottom and residential on the top. The rail as planned will go from DT to Cooper Creek park. It passes what will be an Atlantic Station type development at the rail yards, historic Lynwood and the Medical Complex and other social services, CSU and walking distance to two regional parks, regional shopping at Peachtree.... the more I think the better I like it... It even goes all the way out to Manchester, GA. But how much open land is there really outside of DT?

• 3 weeks later...

I really do see downtown getting highrises soon. especially with the expected population boom over the next 5 years. Downtown columbus is very vibrant to the younger crowd. College dorms, the arts, party district, loft living. everything has been bieng setup for the past several years its going into the final stages now. Columbus as a whole is running out of land thats why developments are popping up in the surrounding communities. Its at that point now people still want to live in town therefore you build up. Within the next 3-8 years you can expect downtown Columbus to look different and taller with condos hotels and probaly office space primarily with a mixed use development style much like many of the condos in Atlanta. while still protecting its historic district. Although I can see midtown developing also mainly around the Macon Road-I-185 area. That area has died as the city has moved north with all the property now avaliable and the high population/ traffic numbers of that area it will become the center of midtown with offices and possibly condos. This will probaly happen after the new Administrative offices of the school board are built which in itself is a 4 story structure that will complement the 3 story Main public library next to it.. The highrises are on the way sooner than most think. Oh yeah and we can't forget this Phenix City fluked with the Phenixian and the Phenix Rising condos. I seriously doubt those companies are going to let those potential developments go. I see them moving across the river if Phenix City doesn't do something soon therefore thats the first 2 developments coming for Columbus.

To update some of the companies on the wishlist Costco & World Market are more than likely on there way to Columbus. Theres been alot of rumors flying that these companies are going to be locating in the new development at Columbus Park Crossing. To furthur back this up both have recently located to several cities around the size of Columbus. Another good area to watch is the new Billings shopping center going up in Midland with the Walmart supercenter theres a whole shopping center going up on the massive plot of land.

• 5 months later...

Archived