Dillard Creek Commons | Creekside Village

DT-Gville

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, until I see the plan in person, I am not totally enthusiastic about this project. Will this retail/commercial complex help to limit further sprawl, or be a catalyst to increase random development covering that part of the Upstate? Yes, I am usually excited about new large-scale mixed-use developments, but this one seems a bit scary for the people and land in that area. I think if they added a high density residential element to the mix I would be at peace with it all.

To be honest, until I see the plan in person, I am not totally enthusiastic about this project. Will this retail/commercial complex help to limit further sprawl, or be a catalyst to increase random development covering that part of the Upstate? Yes, I am usually excited about new large-scale mixed-use developments, but this one seems a bit scary for the people and land in that area. I think if they added a high density residential element to the mix I would be at peace with it all.

Good points. The unfortunate part is that currently the sprawl already exist in this area with the numerous single family home developments and more on the way. I like this development idea for the fact that it's one quality development and would much rather see this than a bunch of small Burger Kings, Shell stations, single use dentist offices, etc, etc. Hopefully this development will have some density.....the hotel/convention center part of the article gives me hope that there may be some density to this. Would be interested in seeing the plan.

I disagree that it will impact West Spartanburg more than Greenville. Being right on the county line, this is only a few miles from many homes on the Eastside of Greenville. One major reason this retail/hotel complex is being built there is because of the $$ within 5 miles. While it is sort of sprawly, it will help to further bridge the GSP metro.

Besides, everything can't be downtown or in an urbanized fashion. A development of this caliber almost has to be in the 'burbs, and when you think about it this isn't that far away from a large population base.

This reminds me of the huge outlet mall complex next to the Baltimore airport (BWI). You can tell that it has really spurred a lot of growth in that area, with new home construction going up like crazy. A similar phenomenon has happened near the Mall of Georgia in Atlanta. While this development isn't on that scale, it will be large and can hopefully cause some positive growth in this area.

Cool, think i figured out how to post from my phone.

To the person who hadn't heard of this before, this project actually already has a thread.

And those those angry of Sprawl, this development will be next to the Huge 120 acre Village at Pelham underway, and I haven't seen critisism of that project on this boad. Wow that is a total of 300 acres of mxed use there.

Also would a project next to an airport really be sprawl?

^^^If this development has a Bass Pro Shops or something like it, then i'm it. If it doesn't, then I might still be for it depending on what it would look like and consist of. Also, I live all the way over in Powdersville, so I wouldn't shop here much if they built it.

And those those angry of Sprawl, this development will be next to the Huge 120 acre Village at Pelham underway, and I haven't seen critisism of that project on this boad. Wow that is a total of 300 acres of mxed use there.

Also would a project next to an airport really be sprawl?

I don't like either project. I think cities are most efficient (in various ways) if commercial and entertainment activity is concentrated downtown, along with some residential components. If that can't be done, then suburban commercial development should consist of high-density, pedestrian-friendly commercial development. Worst of all is low-density, non-pedestrian-friendly suburban development. Most of Greenville's commercial areas are in that last, worst category.

Greenville's track record on high-density, pedestrian-friendly suburban development is very bad.

Greenville's track record on high-density, pedestrian-friendly suburban development is very bad.

As it is for most Southern cities. Even some of the most urban cores in the South, like Charleston, are surrounded by some of the worst sprawl you've ever laid eyes on.

As it is for most Southern cities. Even some of the most urban cores in the South, like Charleston, are surrounded by some of the worst sprawl you've ever laid eyes on.

Can't argue with that. It's just not Greenville, look at Charlotte and Atlanta for worse sprawl than here.

I too am a little concerned about the further sprawl this would bring. Too bad they can't incorporate in into the Pelham plans, to keep the sprawl closer to the urban core.

If all these 85 developments come to fruition, new lanes are going to be needed ASAP! Witht the developemnts planned from GSP to Laurens RD, thousands of more cars will be taking a ride (or perhaps parking )!

:shok: 2,000 jobs could come from this development: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...EWS01/702280493 Thoughts and opinions? I might be for this development now whether it includes a Bass Pro Shops or not.

:offtopic: Out of curiosity g-man, why do you respond to your own posts? I ask because I use a news feeder, rather than directly going to the site sometimes. So every a topic I'm interested in gets a brand new response, it shows up.

Just wondering why it wouldn't be more efficient for you to just edit a post rather than trail one post after another.

:offtopic: Out of curiosity g-man, why do you respond to your own posts? I ask because I use a news feeder, rather than directly going to the site sometimes. So every a topic I'm interested in gets a brand new response, it shows up.

Just wondering why it wouldn't be more efficient for you to just edit a post rather than trail one post after another.

...because if I edit it, then people that have already read my post won't read it again to see what I have added.

Don't go back and edit unless you see a mistake. Thats the only reason the "edit" funciton is there. If you post more than once within a certain time frame, the forum software will consolidate posts for you. Try to get all of your thoughts into one post, but if you have more than one in a row, its generally not a big deal. If it gets excessive then we can deal with it at that time.

To answer gman's question- it will be in Spartanburg County (the SE corner of 14 & 85).

BS63922228.GIF

2000 jobs is pretty significant. This has the markings of sprawl, but one can't be sure at this point. I'll hold my judgement until I see some site plans. I would expect that any retail element will have a town center feel to it. I'm not sure how much of a residential compenent they are allowed to have there with the airport being so close. I would hope that there is an office building elemenet to this as well. Otherwise, I won't be excited about 2,000 retail jobs coming to the area. If residential can't be a part of it then you may as well cram as much of everything else into this 175 acres that is possible.

I think that the location near the airport and between Greenville and Spartanburg is very telling of their desired market. They want access to both cities, and it would seem that they want this to be a significant regional retail attraction (especially if most of the land area will be dedicated to retial).

Much of the property is inside the GSP environs. Even if residential can't be a part of this development, there will no doubt be a surge in residential growth in the surrounding area. Bent Creek Plantation will become a very popular neighborhood.

I am with you guys in the dislike of sprawl, but the fact is this is an underdeveloped area with great access in a somewhat wealthy area. Most people don't like to drive 'all the way' downtown for entertainment/shopping. So this kind of development was inevitable.

Archived