Dillard Creek Commons | Creekside Village

DT-Gville

One thing I have noted on these boards, and especially in this discussion, is that "sprawl" is viewed as a four-letter word by some people. While we all love high-density urban development, all development can't be like that. I am all for encouraging more developments that make good use of space, are attractive, etc., but the reality of the situation is that everything can't be designed that way. You have to have suburbs, and along with that, you have to have suburban developments with parking lots (i.e., "sprawl'). I have probably already lost some of you, but those of you who are still reading hopefully see my point. Everyone doesn't want to live in an ultra high-dense, urban environment where they walk most everywhere and don't ever need a car. Some people like having a car and are comfortable relying on one, and I don't look down on them for it. Because there will always be many people like that, developments such as this proposed on on Highway 14 and I-85 are important. Those of us on this board can hope that it will be well-planned, architecturally appealing, and perhaps mixed-use in some way. If we can get that, then we should consider ourselves happy.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I have noted on these boards, and especially in this discussion, is that "sprawl" is viewed as a four-letter word by some people. While we all love high-density urban development, all development can't be like that. I am all for encouraging more developments that make good use of space, are attractive, etc., but the reality of the situation is that everything can't be designed that way. You have to have suburbs, and along with that, you have to have suburban developments with parking lots (i.e., "sprawl'). I have probably already lost some of you, but those of you who are still reading hopefully see my point. Everyone doesn't want to live in an ultra high-dense, urban environment where they walk most everywhere and don't ever need a car. Some people like having a car and are comfortable relying on one, and I don't look down on them for it. Because there will always be many people like that, developments such as this proposed on on Highway 14 and I-85 are important. Those of us on this board can hope that it will be well-planned, architecturally appealing, and perhaps mixed-use in some way. If we can get that, then we should consider ourselves happy.

What four letter word is that Greenville? Is it nice, ugly, or something else? Maybe it's a word that starts with a S and ends with a T. :dontknow:

I agree with you Greenville. This development seems like a win/win. Well planned, in the center of a major region, a high job count, etc. This development in other cities would probably not receive the sprawl moniker quite so quickly.....some like to label every new development in Greenville as sprawl. Unforunate.

For anyone not able to get excited about the jobs, I just ran some numbers, and at 2,000 jobs (even low wage retail jobs), the payroll for this development should be around 33 million a year. Who doesn't want or can't be excited about 33 million being pumped into the local economy???? Obviously white collar research jobs would pay higher, but why is that even being brought up? This is a retail development. It is what it is. 33 million in payroll being pumped into the economy sure gets me excited! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

An article in the Greenville News today mentions that this project cleared a big hurdle by getting Airport Approval. The article also mentioned the developer Collette & Associates.

http://collettassociates.com/

Looks like the do some very nice projects.

Don't know much about Collete & Associates but their projects look good. Looks like several power centers. Does anyone know what tenants are looking at this development?

Article: Greer commercial project on I-85 clears hurdle

The Greenville (SC) News (4/4/2007)

Don't know much about Collete & Associates but their projects look good. Looks like several power centers. Does anyone know what tenants are looking at this development?

Collete & Associates have several properties that are "The Shoppes at Greenridge" type (i.e. Target, Kohl's, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc.). Some of their properties are located in cities having a Bass Pro Shops location, but not in their centers.

Article: House's budget might set aside funds for area projects

Spartanburg (SC) Herald-Journal (3/1/2007)

This article confirms Bass Pro Shops being targeted as the main tenant for the complex.

Bass Pro Shops wants to come to the Greenville area. Developers need to score a grand slam to land them here.

Greenville News Article

Check out the above link of a new Greenville News article about this project. HEre are notable quotes.

It would offer parks, shops, food stores, a cinema, restaurants, office space, department stores, nature exhibits, recreational activities, furniture stores, and automotive, marine craft and aircraft retail.

The two centers total 1.3 million square feet of building space, according to the application. Haywood Mall holds 1.25 million square feet.

I find the inclusion of "aircraft retail" and the nature exhibits unusual, although this looks very interesting; 1.3MM sf, combined with Magnolia Park and Greenridge, could suck more life out of Haywood Road.

BTW- btoy, good post. Informative and backed by an authoritative source; just what makes this board worthwhile.

Greenville News Article

Check out the above link of a new Greenville News article about this project. HEre are notable quotes.

It would offer parks, shops, food stores, a cinema, restaurants, office space, department stores, nature exhibits, recreational activities, furniture stores, and automotive, marine craft and aircraft retail.

The two centers total 1.3 million square feet of building space, according to the application. Haywood Mall holds 1.25 million square feet.

Good info. Thank btoy. :thumbsup:

Should be a great addition to the areas growing retail scene. :thumbsup:

I think that's a reasonable guess.

I can't figure out the aircraft retail; that's still just odd, unless it's a hobby shop?

Its just my guess, but I would think maybe Stevens Aviation. They have two locations in Greenville

one at GSP and one at Donaldson Center. The location at GSP is a turboprop center and the

location at Donaldson Center is more of a jet and new completion center. Stevens is a Beechcraft

Dealer and also does new aircraft completions for Piaggio Aeros, P.180 Avanti and Sino Swearingens

SJ30-2 Jet. They are also a aircraft brokerage firm that buys and sells new and used aircraft for

business and personal use.

It would make sense to me to combine their sells in this location,as new aircraft are not sold like

new cars, they are ordered from the factory, then flown to a completion center for the paint,

interior and avionics, that the customer wants. So they could have a customer fly in to GSP stop

by the sells center on their way to pick up there new P.180 Avanti.

Just my thoughts.

I'm looking forward to this development. Sure sounds like Bass Pro Shops to me. :) The reason Cabela's didn't get built in North Charleston is because they wanted the state to pay for part of building it. In Myrtle Beach and here, the Bass Pro Shops was and will be paid for by the developer. This is definitely a prime location for a BPS.

The developer will only pay a portion of the cost for Bass Pro. The county/state/municipality will be paying the rest through sales tax revenue generated that is paid back to the retailer. That is the only way a deal will get done here. That is how every Bass Pro deal gets done. It is not pretty. Usually they require 10-20 million in subidized costs from a combination of the developer and the government.

The developer will only pay a portion of the cost for Bass Pro. The county/state/municipality will be paying the rest through sales tax revenue generated that is paid back to the retailer. That is the only way a deal will get done here. That is how every Bass Pro deal gets done. It is not pretty. Usually they require 10-20 million in subidized costs from a combination of the developer and the government.

Does the economic impact to the region really outweigh the concessions to make it worthwhile, though? I have to wonder about this.

Archived