Dillard Creek Commons | Creekside Village

DT-Gville

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The developer will only pay a portion of the cost for Bass Pro. The county/state/municipality will be paying the rest through sales tax revenue generated that is paid back to the retailer. That is the only way a deal will get done here. That is how every Bass Pro deal gets done. It is not pretty. Usually they require 10-20 million in subidized costs from a combination of the developer and the government.

I'll still take a Bass Pro Shops. I don't care if the government has to pay for some of the costs.

Does the economic impact to the region really outweigh the concessions to make it worthwhile, though? I have to wonder about this.

I say yes. If lots of other states can provide incentives for a BPS, why can't we? If Myrtle Beach can get a BPS, why can't we?

I say yes. If lots of other states can provide incentives for a BPS, why can't we? If Myrtle Beach can get a BPS, why can't we?

Keep in mind that government is not paying any of the costs. It's you, the tax payer that would ultimately be paying this price.

I'm talking real (estimated) numbers here, though. It could be that in these other locations, the economic benefit to the region outweighs the concessions that are paid. Will that be the case here as well? I dunno. Something like this is not easy to calculate ahead of time, regardless of the elaborate regression formulas that may be used to attempt to do so.

Keep in mind that government is not paying any of the costs. It's you, the tax payer that would ultimately be paying this price.

I'm talking real (estimated) numbers here, though. It could be that in these other locations, the economic benefit to the region outweighs the concessions that are paid. Will that be the case here as well? I dunno. Something like this is not easy to calculate ahead of time, regardless of the elaborate regression formulas that may be used to attempt to do so.

I know. If I had the money, i'd pay for the construction of a BPS by myself. The economic impact of one far outweighs the cost of building one. For that second part, look around RT. We have mountains less than an hour from here and tons of lakes within a 30 minute drive. This is one of the largest outdoor regions in the whole country. How would it not be a big economic boom? Almost everybody that lives around here either hikes, fishes, hunts, etc.

I know. If I had the money, i'd pay for the construction of a BPS by myself. The economic impact of one far outweighs the cost of building one. For that second part, look around RT. We have mountains less than an hour from here and tons of lakes within a 30 minute drive. This is one of the largest outdoor regions in the whole country. How would it not be a big economic boom? Almost everybody that lives around here either hikes, fishes, hunts, etc.

G Man, Bass Pro Shop is far from the only company that does what they do. There are a ton of outdoor, fishing and hunting supplier stores across the Upstate. Essentially, BPS is a better and much larger version of your average Wal-Mart outdoor section.

If they are such a great company, why the subsidy?

G Man, Bass Pro Shop is far from the only company that does what they do. There are a ton of outdoor, fishing and hunting supplier stores across the Upstate. Essentially, BPS is a better and much larger version of your average Wal-Mart outdoor section.

If they are such a great company, why the subsidy?

The reason BPS and Cabela's doesn't pay for construction and subsidy their stores is because they know these states around the country will line up and bend over for one of their stores due to the amount of tourism and economic development dollars one brings in for the area.

The reason BPS and Cabela's doesn't pay for construction and subsidy their stores is because they know these states around the country will line up and bend over for one of their stores due to the amount of tourism and economic development dollars one brings in for the area.

Can you source that, or is it something you just know?

Can you source that, or is it something you just know?

It's just something I know. There is a reason Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's pays next to nothing in rent and for their stores to be built. It is because the amount of money each store brings in outweighs the cost for the developer and government to pay for one.

I am a very avid fisherman, boater and recently flatwater kayaker.

I have never been to a BPS, and will probably not shop at this one if its built,they are

just to many great local shops.

So hears my questions, who will benefit from all this "economic impact"? Do people drive

to BPS's and spend the weekend at the local hotels,Will they go into town to dine at

local restaurants? What about the guys I purchased my Nitro by Tracker,[ the same brand as BPS's] boat from,Outdoor Marine and R.V, will this help them? They are right

across the interstate. What about Sunrift where my son and I just purchased new

kayaks? What about small stores like White Jones in Anderson?, where I get about 90%

of my fishing gear, and all my info on what lures are hot on lake Hartwell, because they

fish the same water I do.

It just sounds to me that if, local,county,and state governments give them all these

incentives to build, and they have a million visitors a year, that BPS's are the ones

having the "economic boom".

^^Imagine all the tax dollars those million visitors a year would bring in though. Besides, Sunrift is located in Traveler's Rest, which is pretty far from this site, so I don't think this store would affect their business that much if it gets built. I'm still for and will always be for BPS or Cabela's, no matter if the government pays incentives for them to locate here or not.

Not in favor of subsidies for a BPS- those who would benefit would be (1) developers and (2) counties, with higher property and sales taxes- but just want to say how good this thread is, with an International Council of Shopping Centers article and others as sources. Well done, as informed opinions make this board valuable. (Better than using guessed Flyertalk posts as sources.)

North Charleston is still hoping to get a Cabela's: http://www.charleston.net/assets/webPages/...bDate=4/16/2007

Not in favor of subsidies for a BPS- those who would benefit would be (1) developers and (2) counties, with higher property and sales taxes- but just want to say how good this thread is, with an International Council of Shopping Centers article and others as sources. Well done, as informed opinions make this board valuable. (Better than using guessed Flyertalk posts as sources.)

I'm in favor of subsidies for a BPS or Cabela's, so this area can land one of their stores and would help make the upstate region a tourist destination. If Myrtle Beach, Charlotte, and Atlanta can get one, why can't we? Yeah, what these stores do in taking government money to build their stores is kind of wrong, but nobody is stopping them from doing it and these states are willing to pay for it.

It looks like i'm not the only one who changes their opinions on things. You guys were all hoping and praying for a BPS in this area and now that you find out the government pays for part of the cost of building one, you are against it. Get over it. I want BPS and could care less if the government pays the whole cost to build one.

It's just something I know. There is a reason Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's pays next to nothing in rent and for their stores to be built. It is because the amount of money each store brings in outweighs the cost for the developer and government to pay for one.

Just because an organization gets government subsidies, is not necessarily indicative of that organization providing economic growth. You don't need to look much further than professional sports venues, or even events like the Olympics to see that those often lose lots of money and don't provide the return that was promised.

Essentially, it seems Bass Pro is selling a quality of life investment, rather than a direct 1:1 economic investment.

If that's what the counties want, quality of life, they should make that plain. But if they are going to make the economic investment argument they better really back that up publicly with facts and figures that make it evident.

Essentially, it seems Bass Pro is selling a quality of life investment, rather than a direct 1:1 economic investment.

One thing that it may do, being in such a prominent location along I-85 is make people driving by take notice of the area (much in the same way the new CU-ICAR development, South Financial HQ, and Verdae development would do). I've driven through areas that I hadn't thought much about and said, "Wow! This place must be pretty progressive (or affluent or whatever) to have landed all of these companies/stores." Stuff like this is often times better than any billboard advertisement saying, "Greenville...Quality Life."

Nice article. If there's one thing that our area excels in with respect to new development/redevelopment projects, it's the private-public partnership.

Exactly. Everybody knows that Spartanburg County and Greer would bend over for a BPS here. It's just a matter of time until that happens most likely.

Does anyone know for sure that they are doing more than just "looking" at the upstate? Does anyone have any facts or has anyone seen them on any blueprints...just curious. I would hate this argument to be in vain but I would like to see one come.

Cool font. The Spartanburg Herald-Journal recently reported that sources said local officials are hoping to lure and score a BPS for this development. I don't have any blueprints or a site plan regarding this development and I doubt I will for sometime to come. There is no hard proof a BPS will come to this development, but there is a similiar development being built in Buffalo, NY right now that will include one. Also, the mention of things such as recreational activities, marine craft retail, nature exhibits, superstore, powercenter, etc. in the last Greenville News article about this development seems to be leaning to a BPS or something like it.

:thumbsup: Bass Pro has toured Greenville and the upstate market multiple times. They have not toured this site since the developer has gotten it under contract. The same developer is working with them on a site in South Asheville off Airport Road which they are very far down the road with BPS on. BPS pointed them in the direction of the upstate and specifically Greenville mentioning they would like a store there in addition to Asheville.

From my understanding BPS will be back in the market within the next 30 days to review this specific site and give them a better feel for being able to get a BPS deal done or not.

Archived