The Triangle's music scene/market

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem I think is that the Triangle lacks one solid venue for these proven acts. Walnut Creek is too corporate, and the forementioned are dirty bars. Sure they have some great history like CBGB, but to showcase talent, an area needs a musical type theater. A rock'n'roll hall of fame type place that draws people to it.

That would be very cool. I would like to see this area put a face to its music image that is just floating around out there. If a city in the are were to do it, I've got to lean towards Chapel Hill. But I'd like to see Raleigh step up and do something to this effect.

The problem I think is that the Triangle lacks one solid venue for these proven acts. Walnut Creek is too corporate, and the forementioned are dirty bars.

I think the "dirty bars" is what makes it. I would think the solid venue for Raleigh is Lincoln Theater or what could have been was Martin Street Music Hall (no more). There is nothing like going to a bar and seeing a band you don't know and then they become famous.

OK, showing my age here. Seven of my friends went to a bar one Tuesday back in early, early 80s (1980 or 1981 I think) when I was a freshman at ECU. They had a beer special (probably Strohs Light) and that is what drove us there Twelve people showed up, seven of them were my gang of hoodlums. Some band played in the corner as we were downing the Tuesday night special. About 6 months later, that band put out an EP called "Gardening at Night" and then later an album called "Murmur" which got 5 stars from Rolling Stone and changed music and started the alternative music movement. (This was after Disco, then Punk with a splash of New Wave and the world was looking for a change)

Of course, that band was R.E.M.

Nothing like being in a "dirty bar" seeing a good live act..................

There are a lot of smaller venues (past and present, clubs and non-traditional) in the area.

Chapel Hill/Carboro - Cat's Cradle, Local 506, Skylight Exchange, Go! Recording Studios, on campus venues, Weaver Street Market commons, various "house/backyard" shows.

Durham - Carolina Theater, Ringside, Under the Street, Duke University venues.

Raleigh - Lincoln Theater, Kings, Pour House, Berkley Cafe, Brewery, Sadlacks, Bickett Gallery, various museum auditoriums, NC State's Stewart Theater and other venues.

This is in addition to larger venues like the Longbranch/Disco Rodeo (formerly the Ritz), Walnut Creek, Booth, and Regency Park Amplitheaters, Raleigh Memorial Auditorium, RBC Center, Dean Dome, football stadiums, etc. Or places like Borders bookstores and other bars that have live music sporadically. Catlin Cary (another Whiskeytown alum) played the Six Forks/Wake Forest Borders a year or two ago.

Ideally there would be a Ritz-sized venue right in the heart of downtown Raleigh (in the warehouse district or former Greenshields building!) to book emerging acts of all flavors with loyal followings, but I don't know if that will ever happen. Areas that (to me) could use live music venues include Glenwood South, Brightleaf, East Franklin Street, Ninth Street.

East Franklin has the Wetlands Dance Hall (relatively new) and the Library. Go! is gone but Reservoir is there now with some occasional bookings (Wetlands is essentially Go! moved to E. Franklin).

The Duke Coffeehouse is a pretty good venue in Durham. 307 Knox, Jo and Joe's, and Marvell also book bands. Under the Street is dead and gone for years but they did get great bands there.

As stated earlier, a new music club will be opening where Martin Street Music Hall was.

The Fallout Shelter, the Garage (Hillsborough St.) and Caboose (Garner) were great clubs as well (RIP).

The Fallout Shelter, the Garage (Hillsborough St.) and Caboose (Garner) were great clubs as well (RIP).

WoW The Fallout shelter !!! Started by a guy I went to High School with.. Now we are getting Old School. I have a few others old ones and talk about urban redevelopment !!!!

Where the Darrells was on Hillsbough Street, there was a line of clubs where the parking lot is now. It was always packed with people in the Street, so much that the right lane was almost pedestiran since so many people just walked in the street. Right beside Weathermans Jewerly, was Free Advice which had R&R bands, then Crazy Zacks was next door to FA before it got so popular with Beach music and built a huge location where the Applebees is now on Hillsbough at Meredith College. Then on the corner was Barry's, which later moved to the upper floor above what is now Porters. Also, in 5 points, "The Office" was where Lilly's and 3rd place is and where "The Point" is in 5 points, was Trax Studios, a recording studio. The Office was a more than a dive and would very, very seldem have music or bands.

Now this is going back farther, and not sure if the youngn's remember, but in Cameron Village, there is an underground section where Fresh Market is. It had a subway like entrance and there were numerous bars down there like "The Frog and Nightgown" which became Bears Den and several others. They closed down "The Underground" due to new Firecodes but there were like 3 bars and 3 shops under the building that Fresh Market is in. Also, the "West End", across the tracks from the Amtrak station use to have outdoor parties with bands.

Before the underground, "The Frog and Nightgown" was on Medlin where Crowley's is and was considered a top nightclub of the 70's in the Southeast and maybe east coast, something Raleigh had never seen. Started by a guy I grew up with father who came from England.

Another item of interest is the where the storage place is next to Comp USA on Hwy 70/Glenwood is where Skate Ranch was. They use to have bands and "The Replacements" played there and Paul Westerburg would mention it every time he came to Raleigh and played the Brewery or other clubs after that.

And lastly, I forgot a Raleigh band that you can not talk music without mentioning....COC (Corrison of Conformity) One of Beavis and Butthead's "THEY RULE" bands ... They have a practice facility on Glenwood South and if you don't know where it is, you would never believe it. And I bet many of you have walked right over it..........

Ok sorry...I gidressed. the original post was on Austin City Limits

I was going to mention COC as one of Raleigh's legendary bands. Lesser known but legendary in the metal world: Confessor and Soul Preacher. All 3 are still going strong.

As a Chapel Hillian I have to admit to liking Raleigh bands better. Picasso Trigger were awesome back in the day.

I did see JQ and the Sex Police a few times and liked a couple of songs by each. Never got that much into Archers of Loaf or the other hyped-up Chapel Hill bands. "No Pocky for Kitty" was a great album by Superchunk and I always dug Polvo.

Other great but relatively unknown Triangle rock/indie bands (current and deceased):

Shiny Beast, Orifice (had ex Raleigh mayoral candidate Wayne Taylor in the band), Trucker, Regraped, Finger, Erectus Monotone, Cherry Valence, Birds of Avalon, Black Taj.

There are a lot of smaller venues (past and present, clubs and non-traditional) in the area.

Ideally there would be a Ritz-sized venue right in the heart of downtown Raleigh (in the warehouse district or former Greenshields building!) to book emerging acts of all flavors with loyal followings, but I don't know if that will ever happen. Areas that (to me) could use live music venues include Glenwood South, Brightleaf, East Franklin Street, Ninth Street.

I agree with you there, I think the old Greenshields would be great. A nucleus of places would be great around here, which creates a music "area" This would start a buzz and become a musical destination spot kind of like Glenwood is party spot.

• 1 month later...

Is this in place of the "pizza place" they painted on the windows or in addition to it?

I haven't been by there at night in a while, but will be good to check it out.

It looks like they're pretty well booked for the next few months too, which is a very good sign!

I walked by there Friday afternoon to see what was/is going on. The "just off Fayetville" location should help with parking, foot traffic, etc. There are going to be three places at 14 West Martin:

- Alibi bar - downstairs, formerly Lizzy's, now open

- Martin Street Pizza and Subs - street level of what was Martin Street Music Hall. still just paint on the windows, occasional signs of life, but nothing other than "coming soon". Good day/dinner hours use of streetscape space instead of an unfriendly "black hole".

- Raleigh Music Hall - second floor of Martin Street Music Hall. Did not go inside, but it shares the "entrance" with Alibi Bar. May have had a strip club for a while -- door was open, but never investigated further. was shut down by city and building owner. If they really want to attract more conventions, downtown could use some "adult" establishments, as long as they are discrete, which I think this upstairs location would have been suited for. And no guys handing out flyers, like in times square. ugh.

• 2 months later...

Archived