The Triangle's music scene/market

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although they have been a steady player in the indy rock scene, they haven't had a major billboard entry I don't believe. Its amazing that they are one of the few independent labels left over from the early 90s heyday. I remember when Merge had their 5th anniversary party in Chapel Hill and celebs like Johnny Depp and Kate Moss actually showed up -weird.

I will admit to being "out of the scene" for years, bu for a while it seemed there used to be a lot of good multi-band benefits shows. I remember going to a Superchunk/Polvo/few other bands benefit at the BW3 location of the Cradle for $5 or 10.

There was some all day show at the DAP once with shorter sets, but 6 or 7 bands.

Looking at Merge's website, they have quite a roster now! I didn't go to any of the anniversary festivities, but still have Rows of Teeth, their 5 year anniversary compilation CD.

I went to the second of the two night Archers of Loaf farewell shows at Cat's Cradle and after it was over, it seemed like few people there cared. Either they didn't think it was the end for the band, or some other band would take there place. Crooked Fingers and Eric B.'s solo project have been interesting, but they're not the same...

WKNC's DJs stay within what they know, which can be a good or bad thing... But overall they keep a good talking-music ratio.

Has anyone heard anything on the future of Kings? On their website, it says the building will be demoed in mid-April, and the schedule only goes through the 21st.

I will admit to being "out of the scene" for years, bu for a while it seemed there used to be a lot of good multi-band benefits shows. I remember going to a Superchunk/Polvo/few other bands benefit at the BW3 location of the Cradle for $5 or 10.

There was some all day show at the DAP once with shorter sets, but 6 or 7 bands.

Looking at Merge's website, they have quite a roster now! I didn't go to any of the anniversary festivities, but still have Rows of Teeth, their 5 year anniversary compilation CD.

I went to the second of the two night Archers of Loaf farewell shows at Cat's Cradle and after it was over, it seemed like few people there cared. Either they didn't think it was the end for the band, or some other band would take there place. Crooked Fingers and Eric B.'s solo project have been interesting, but they're not the same...

WKNC's DJs stay within what they know, which can be a good or bad thing... But overall they keep a good talking-music ratio.

Has anyone heard anything on the future of Kings? On their website, it says the building will be demoed in mid-April, and the schedule only goes through the 21st.

Well if anything, King's is going out at their current location with a bang and some good shows. Check out the Torche/Black Tusk show and Holy Mountain. Hopefully the new location will up and running by the time of the F-cking Champs/Red Fang/Birds of Avalon show in June.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the N&O's David Menconi music blog, Alive After 5 will *not* have a regular schedule this year. They might have a couple of free shows on F Street, but that is it.

I didn't go to any of the Glenwood South shows last year... were they any good?

Raleigh Downtown Live has announced seven dates -- every other Saturday from the first weekend in June thorugh the end of August. June 2, 16, 30, July 14, 28, Aug 11, 25th. No acts have been announced yet.

There is no word on a new location for Kings on their website yet... anyone hear anything?

I really haven't listened to music radio in this market in about 8-or-so- years. I feel sorry for you people with iPods :silly: I cannot imagine why I would need to walk around with all of my CDs (that I've heard 1000x) at my disposal. I have a Rhapsody To Go subscription and LOVE IT.

A few years ago I was organizing our CDs (we have around 300 or so) and realized that we NEVER listen to 95% of them. I started thinking about all of the money I spent on them and tried Rhapsody instead of buying CDs. There are very few artists not on Rhapsody, but the rest? We download, listen, keep or delete and keep moving on. I listen to a ton of new music so I feel no guilt running through CDs that are just OK and tossing them.

The best way to keep current is to either download new music playlists from sites like the Rhapsody Radish or from one of Rhapsody's internal playlists. I like to go to the WBER site and download the songs they list in their rotation occasionally.

Any PlaysForSure mp3 players will work with RhTG. The new Sansa R players, however, are far and way the best. They sync with the software smoothly and offer the ability to download channels.

• 2 weeks later...
According to the N&O's David Menconi music blog, Alive After 5 will *not* have a regular schedule this year. They might have a couple of free shows on F Street, but that is it.

I didn't go to any of the Glenwood South shows last year... were they any good?

Raleigh Downtown Live has announced seven dates -- every other Saturday from the first weekend in June thorugh the end of August. June 2, 16, 30, July 14, 28, Aug 11, 25th. No acts have been announced yet.

There is no word on a new location for Kings on their website yet... anyone hear anything?

idk if this belongs here but it has something to do with Triangle Music. Unbeknownst to most of the Triangle, one group of individuals recently claimed their fifth national championship. The Triangle Youth Brass Band is a group of high school individuals who play brass instruments in a typical British Brass Ensemble and play mainly classical music. As of this year there are two ensembles, lower ensemble, the Triangle Youth Brass Ensemble, and the top ensemble the Youth Brass Band. The Youth Brass Band has won five national championships from the North American Brass Band Association, they just recently won their fifth championship this past weekend. The Youth BRass Ensemble claimed first place in their division as well in only their first year of existence. The Youth Brass Band has only been in existence since 1997, and have only competed in the NABBA Championships for five years, of which they have all won. They are considered the top youth brass ensemble in the country. As a former member, 2006 Champions!!, I thought this would be a cool accolade for the Triangle, as many of the members have gone on to the top music programs in the country. It is pretty cool to know that the Triangle area is a breeding ground for top classical musicians.

BL Downtown Live schedule was partially released:

June 2- Everclear

June 16- TBA

June 30- Firehouse

July 14- The Romantics and Will Hoge

July 28- Night Ranger

August 11- Soul Asylum

August 25- Warrant

i'm really not too excited about it, but will probably go out to a few of them just for some live music outside. the scene was always good at the ones i've been to in the past. i listened to everclear when i was younger so i guess i'll start the summer off with them. any thoughts on the schedule?

I guess they can't get any bands that are on top of their game currently-I think this may be their worst line up to date. Soul Asylum was decent many moons ago. The new Birds of Avalon album is really good, speaking of local bands that deserve props.

I was reading this last week, but forgot to post it here. Indy has a good article from Grayson Currin on Kings closing and the music outlook in Raleigh, Durham, etc. Talks about how other venues may be able to provide some bookings for former King's regulars, but also that many more local groups may shift to house parties around town.

It sucks that Kings has to go, but I don't know what else could have been done. I'm sure the city could do more to support these businesses, but ultimately, it's the building owners who will decide wether they will survive. Ideally, if there were a real estate developer/owner who felt it was important enough to foster these venues, that would be enough, but the almightly dollar wins out too often.

I think it is sad that the Downtown Raleigh Live lineup is so heavily stocked with rock bands. Where is the Naughty By Nature equivalent this year? Arrested Development? Where are the "fun" bands like Presidents of the United States? Why aren't they booking more local acts? Are local bands too cocky to not want to play before the sun goes down? I hope this year won't kill the series.

The Independent articles seemed hell bent on dissing Raleigh. They portray the city as having nothing other than Kings, past, present or future. Just because they don't remember the Fallout Shelter, the Mission Valley Snookers, the Brewery's heydays, the Hideaway, the Berklye Cafe, etc. doesn't mean that history doesn't exist.

Things will (hopefully) sort themselves out, and music fans will find them. I hope the Downtown Events Center has the good mix they are promising of live music, film festivals and murder mystery parties. Though what is going on with the ground floor space in that building? Is Alibi still open?

Bickett was 80% gallery, 15% bar, 5% club. They chose to locate away from downtown in a neighborhood that was quickly becoming family focused (look at all the kids' toys in the park on Bickett Blvd!). It is not a "trend setting loss" but it would be cool if places like Lump picked up the band mantle. Get whatever permit allows Artspace to server wine and beer on First Fridays!

Things will (hopefully) sort themselves out, and music fans will find them. I hope the Downtown Events Center has the good mix they are promising of live music, film festivals and murder mystery parties. Though what is going on with the ground floor space in that building? Is Alibi still open?

An article said there was a contract to run the Bickett at the Hudson through the fall, but not sure what happens after that.

Driving by the other day, there is space available in the storefronts at the West South/South Saunders intersection. I think that would be far enough away from Boylan, and a better neighbor than the existing minimarts, but that is my personal opinion.

The housing project (Heritage Village) southwest of South/Saunders might not be happy either...

The Maywood corridor is not too far from Saunders, and there is a lot of empty-looking spaces. That area kinda feels like where Bickett used to be -- industrial use near train tracks. I think that would be a neat music/arts/creative class village, but it seems like land owners are waiting to see how the Dix park/DHSS discussion goes.

I would like to see Kings in that beauty supply store on Cabarrus or somewhere else near Kulture, but rent might be too expensive there too.

The old vaccum cleaner space across from White Collar Crime or the old antiques store between White Collar Crime and Ess would be close to the old location, but again, rent could be an issue in a few years.

I would think rent on the "other side of the tracks" on Cabarrus would be cheap enough, yet close to downtown. There are some industrial sites down there, especially along DuPont Circle, but it is getting close to Boyland Heights territory there.

The warehouses along Saunders between Ray Price and Lake Wheeler would be cool, and have few/no residential neighbors, but that is going out of downtown proper.

Just saw an article today: http://www.newsobserver.com/442/story/568287.html

SignalFest, the Southeast Electronic Music Festival, being held this weekend in Chapel Hill. I'm a big fan of that type of music, and I'm just NOW finding out about it. :dontknow:

Anyways, I googled it and found their website: www.signalfest.com

Too late notice for me to attend any of it this year, and that's too bad since I like some of Noel Sanger's work. But now that I know such an event is held here in the Triangle you can be sure to see me next year. :shades:

Archived