joshleo

Wealthy Street Mega Thread

I didn't realize that the city had shot down Steve Bratschie's plans for the 4 story apartment building at that corner: 

Bratschie sought informal feedback on plans to build a four-story building on the lot.  Bratschie said the commission did not support the four-story building.  A report from the city’s planning staff noted that the surrounding buildings were one- and two-stories tall (the commission’s goal is for new buildings to match the scale of the existing neighborhood). Plans for the four-story building were abandoned, because it wouldn’t have been financially feasible to scale the building down to two- or three-stories, Bratschie said.

If that's the case why would Guy Bazzani have proposed a similar massed structure at that corner after after Bratschie's project was shot down?  The argument that other buildings in that area are only one or two stores doesn't hold water.  The city approved both the  Orion, Eastown Flats and the "Forty Acers" building both a few blocks down and those buildings are 3 and 4 stories tall.

Here is Bratchie's original proposal: 

imageproxy.jpg.3647a815c1a1053928bab2a1075b1e9e.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mpchicago said:

I didn't realize that the city had shot down Steve Bratschie's plans for the 4 story apartment building at that corner: 

Bratschie sought informal feedback on plans to build a four-story building on the lot.  Bratschie said the commission did not support the four-story building.  A report from the city’s planning staff noted that the surrounding buildings were one- and two-stories tall (the commission’s goal is for new buildings to match the scale of the existing neighborhood). Plans for the four-story building were abandoned, because it wouldn’t have been financially feasible to scale the building down to two- or three-stories, Bratschie said.

Wow. That is... Very faulty logic.

3 hours ago, mpchicago said:

If that's the case why would Guy Bazzani have proposed a similar massed structure at that corner after after Bratschie's project was shot down?  The argument that other buildings in that area are only one or two stores doesn't hold water.  The city approved both the  Orion, Eastown Flats and the "Forty Acers" building both a few blocks down and those buildings are 3 and 4 stories tall.

Here is Bratchie's original proposal: 

imageproxy.jpg.3647a815c1a1053928bab2a1075b1e9e.jpg

Based on that drawing the powerlines go right through the building so I can see where they might be reticent. 

3 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Based on that drawing the powerlines go right through the building so I can see where they might be reticent. 

Yes, funny how the power lines are so prominent in the drawing, but not the case in reality on that side the street.   Who knows maybe that was part of the crazy reasoning behind not approving this building.  :wacko:  

Edited by mpchicago

3 hours ago, mpchicago said:

Yes, funny how the power lines are so prominent in the drawing, but not the case in reality on that side the street.   Who knows maybe that was part of the crazy reasoning behind not approving this building.  :wacko:  

Agreed. I thought it was good infill. Better the cargo containers (and I actually like the idea of cargo container developments). ;)

Joe

7 hours ago, mpchicago said:

Darn, I was being sarcastic but didn't include an emoji. Experiment = fail. :)