Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

Spill the beans!!!!!!!!!!1

I'm already dreaming of a the Kregel building being the spot. Basically one of the largest building on Wealthy near Eastern that could eaisly hold both retail and residental. And if the empty lot to the NE is part of a future project, stuff is about to get real serious in this area.

Runner-up location guess: The large church parking lot on Wealthy and Hollister was sold off for in-fill development, which would be just as awesome.

Edited by GR_Urbanist
  • Like 1

Agreed. Love both of those ideas (and redevelopment of the church building itself). Can't wait to hear what it is.

I'm already dreaming of a the Kregel building being the spot. Basically one of the largest building on Wealthy near Eastern that could eaisly hold both retal and residental. And if the empty lot to the SE is part of a future project, stuff is about to get real serious in this area.

Runner-up location guess: The large church parking lot on Wealthy and Hollister was sold off for in-fill development, which would be just as awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

I started a beer thread in the NE forums a few years ago, and just happened upon this thread.

Beer is in fact big tourism.

I have spent thousands of dollars making trips to places like Belgium (heading there again in 3 weeks) as well as copenhagen(Carlsburg etc...), Bremen(Becks etc...), Amsterdam(Amstel/Heineken etc...), London(all manner of english beers) and domestically everywhere I travel I seek out the local best. Be it Gritty's in Maine, Tequesta in Florida, 420 in Texas, etc.....

So one city I have on the list is GR mainly due to Founders. I had Hand of doom at the extreme beer feast Night of the barrels a few years back. and also breakfast stout amongst others. I'd definitely like to get out there some time to see the city and see the beer scene.

But I would not put too much int that poll. its clearly a regional publication.

Portlnd Oregon is beer city USA. #2 might be Denver

after that it gets dicey.

a fun map

http://popchartlab.com/products/breweries-of-the-united-states

Its not entirely accurate, but its pretty cool. it does not show brewpubs. and thats fine, but it does not show brewpubs that distribute in some cases either.

An example would be on Eastern Long island they have the not very good and just 2 year old Greenport Brewery, but do not show the Southampton Publick House. which has received the top award in brewing back in 1993 http://www.publick.com/articlemain.ihtml?ID=79

and yes, since I can buy their beers in CT they most certainly do distribute.

anyways. It also only shows 3 breweries in Hartford where I live. Not entirely accurate.

not to mention that poll was totally for homers voting up their own city. While GR deserves to be on any list, I am guesing mostly folks from GR saw that list and it might have leaked to Charlotte for some reason (they have no right being a beer city.

anyways...

back to the economic driver that is Beer.

CT has had a wine trail that attempts to garner tourism much like the Long Island wineries do. its not all that successful since we just do not have the quality....

Beer on the other hand we do have quality, and ever growing quantity and variation.

So some guy just 1-2 years ago started the CT Beer trail. http://ctbeertrail.net/page/breweries-1

and check the map on the bottom

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=106088491648816639937.00043c3b5f41f13c4988e&ll=41.619549,-72.680054&spn=1.231955,2.69165&z=8&source=embed

its getting press and has caught on pretty well.

W Michigan should have the same.

not to mention I think the beginning of the non-sustainable part of the growth is on its way. In tiny CT alone we have 7 full scale breweries in production , but 8 more planning to open in the next year or so. I have been to their web sites and seen images of locations being renovated with huge shiny new tanks. Million dollar operations for the most part.

I hope just one of them can come out with some quality unique beers. I do know for sure though, that this local beer is good for the economy and for my belly!

I hope MI supports the breweries out there to make distribution cheaper and easier. you really do have some great brewers!

• 2 weeks later...

I bet this property won't be on the market for very long. Taking the house and the parking lot across seems like an ideal redevelopment situation.

Joe

A little birdie in the Neighborhood told me that David LaGrand Bought the property, but no word yet on what the plans for it are.

I used to live on wealthy and james street back in the 90's and the elderly couple that owns the store has had it for many many years. At one point they where the last open business on that block besides the wild bunch and i believe they resent that the white community is "taking back" the area after letting it fall into ruin in the 70's-80's. They also own(ed)? the house directly across the street. This is the very definition of gentrification. Maybe some of you should stop in there and spend some money with them. (The lady is kind of mean though)

I suddenly have an urge to go spend money in a dilapidated building with a mean lady behind the counter! :)

I used to live on wealthy and james street back in the 90's and the elderly couple that owns the store has had it for many many years. At one point they where the last open business on that block besides the wild bunch and i believe they resent that the white community is "taking back" the area after letting it fall into ruin in the 70's-80's. They also own(ed)? the house directly across the street. This is the very definition of gentrification. Maybe some of you should stop in there and spend some money with them. (The lady is kind of mean though)

How is it the very definition of "gentrification?" Just curious. I personally don't think so. They've obviously neglected their properties so much so that they can't keep the 4 retail bays full of tenants, can't keep their own party store in business, and can't even keep the rain from coming in and destroying the roof and wall. I don't believe their cost of owning the properties have been adversely affected by neighboring properties being renovated. In fact, I'll have to look up their tax scenario on accesskent, but I'm guessing their property taxes aren't much more than they have been for a decade or more.

Could it just be the definition of "bad business?"

I used to live on wealthy and james street back in the 90's and the elderly couple that owns the store has had it for many many years. At one point they where the last open business on that block besides the wild bunch and i believe they resent that the white community is "taking back" the area after letting it fall into ruin in the 70's-80's [...] This is the very definition of gentrification.

Whaaaaat? What sort of business owner would get ticked off that people are opening up new businesses and attracting more potential customers? What, they didn't like that these were "white" customers? I know another word for that, and it isn't "gentrification." And how, exactly, did "white" people allow the area to fall into ruin? I doubt a giant white collective went, "Golly, this is a such a beautiful, peaceful neighborhood, and our businesses are doing really well, so let's just pack up our stuff and leave." From what I've heard, the area was full of thugs, druggies, and gangbangers starting even back in the late '60s. Boarding up the windows and locking up was a good move. years ago. That people finally started trying to make silk purses out of sow's ears should have had them jumping for joy in the streets. If, indeed, they resented this, it is a good indicator of why their business failed.

Could it just be the definition of "bad business?"

Now that's more like it. The sad thing is, they made the number one mistake of every bad business owner: Hanging on too long, unti lthere is nothing left but dust and empty shelves. Years ago when the Ren Zone was still around, they probably could have made double whatever they got. Instead, they're getting a pretty sad pittance. I won't gloat about it, because their obstinance made us all suffer with this ugly eyesore for years, until it finally started collapsing into the street. I can't wait to see what happens from here, though!

There is an article on Mlive today about this business/building on Wealthy Street. It may clear up some of the questions that have been asked previously in this thread.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2012/07/dg_party_store_wealthy.html#incart_river_default

Edited by DwntwnGeo

It's an interesting article, and you can feel bad for the lady, but just because she "wants" to be in business, doesn't negate her obligations (taxes, etc.). I think a lot of entrepreneurs that have to fold their businesses "want" to stay in business but have accepted the harsh reality. Seems like this lady is having a hard time accepting it.

Joe

There is on article on Mlive today about this business/building on Wealthy Street. It may clear up some of the questions that have been asked previously in this thread.

http://www.mlive.com...t_river_default

I cannot believe that people are feeling sorry for this person and might actually try to save the place for her!

Are people NUTS????? Are people so far out in bleeding heart land that they want to encourage this joke of a circus?

As if anyone in that area wants to eat at a dusty dump or patronize a crappy liquor store. Sandmanns got shut down for less than this!

Get this building away for this racist nut so it can be saved. She cant afford it, cannot take care of it, and has no idea what to do with it!

The city should have yanked this property for her years ago.

On top of that she is showing a complete disdain for the people in the area with her vile racist attitude and needs to take her memories and retire them both.

I want a white knight to come in and pay my taxes and bills too. That would be fantastic. I completely disagree with trying to save the business as a charity. That is not the definition of a business. I can't wait for this property to get scooped up a by business owner that has proven success. (the wealthy street bakery)

There is an article on Mlive today about this business/building on Wealthy Street. It may clear up some of the questions that have been asked previously in this thread.

http://www.mlive.com...t_river_default

I'm glad the Press was able to do an interview with her. So much speculation and rumors about this property, and now we know. Sad story when families get older and start experiencing health/mental issues, but I totally agree with others that charity to keep the building/business open is a bad idea.

Whaaaaat? What sort of business owner would get ticked off that people are opening up new businesses and attracting more potential customers? What, they didn't like that these were "white" customers? I know another word for that, and it isn't "gentrification." And how, exactly, did "white" people allow the area to fall into ruin? I doubt a giant white collective went, "Golly, this is a such a beautiful, peaceful neighborhood, and our businesses are doing really well, so let's just pack up our stuff and leave." From what I've heard, the area was full of thugs, druggies, and gangbangers starting even back in the late '60s. Boarding up the windows and locking up was a good move. years ago. That people finally started trying to make silk purses out of sow's ears should have had them jumping for joy in the streets. If, indeed, they resented this, it is a good indicator of why their business failed.

Now that's more like it. The sad thing is, they made the number one mistake of every bad business owner: Hanging on too long, unti lthere is nothing left but dust and empty shelves. Years ago when the Ren Zone was still around, they probably could have made double whatever they got. Instead, they're getting a pretty sad pittance. I won't gloat about it, because their obstinance made us all suffer with this ugly eyesore for years, until it finally started collapsing into the street. I can't wait to see what happens from here, though!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_flight

http://atomicobject.com/pages/Wealthy+Street+History

iNTERESTING HISTORY OF WEALTHY ST.

My family settled on wealthy before the turn of the century and never left...

to me it is a personal battle to define whether development equals what is best for the people who have endured so many bitter hands dealt by the city of grand rapids. This is more of a heritage then a hobby to me. Being from one of the last white (hungarian) families in the neighborhood during the 70's-80's unrest i can appreciate the re development of the area . At the same time i believe that some of the invesment is not true to the neighboorhood and its people.

I cannot believe that people are feeling sorry for this person and might actually try to save the place for her!

Are people NUTS????? Are people so far out in bleeding heart land that they want to encourage this joke of a circus?

As if anyone in that area wants to eat at a dusty dump or patronize a crappy liquor store. Sandmanns got shut down for less than this!

Get this building away for this racist nut so it can be saved. She cant afford it, cannot take care of it, and has no idea what to do with it!

The city should have yanked this property for her years ago.

On top of that she is showing a complete disdain for the people in the area with her vile racist attitude and needs to take her memories and retire them both.

-

Typical CRC hollander talk- You are to scared to come to wealthy- Your anscestors are (or should

be) ashamed of you ...

-

Typical CRC hollander talk- You are to scared to come to wealthy- Your anscestors are (or should

be) ashamed of you ...

I lived on the CORNER of Wealthy and College for 5 years.

My family lived just slightly south of Hall and Fuller from 1987 until I moved to College and Wealthy.

My grandparents lived on Bates (south of Wealthy) from the 50s until 2003

So there goes that.

#2 People like you seem to love to play like Wealthy st. was such a wonderful little place before all of these evil people showed up and just "took over". That it was some thriving community of merchants. It was certainly nowhere near this.

The Wealthy and Fuller intersection in the summer was packed with hoods and gangbangers outside of what was once one of those apparently beloved liquor stores. The area experienced numerous shootings, vandalism, and just was a total mess. What was to be the Wealthy Theater was falling in on itself, and would have if those "evil" outsiders didnt come in and just ruin things by fixing the place.

Virtually everything else running all the way to Union was boarded up, dilapidated, or in ruins. There are STILL buildings including "D&G" that are still in that 1990s Wealthy st. condition.

As a MINORITY kid, I sure as heck didnt go on Wealthy. Only an idiot would if they didn't have to. When I would bike downtown, I would go though Eastown and head NW so I didnt have to go into that part of the city.

Now, thanks to all of those outsiders, big business people, and community activists that didnt think living in a ghetto was cool, I dont have to act afraid of Wealthy because it is safe. And thanks to their continued love for the area, and the continued mentality of some of the last slum holdouts that keep letting their building fall into ruin, the wheels of the legal system will start prying some of these last few run-down structures out of their hands and onto the market so people that actually care about Wealthy can get them back into shape and into service for the WHOLE area.

• Like 1

Grew up in the area, moved and after all these evil people "Fixed" the neighborhood all I can say is ....WOW! I could not have said it better myself! We can all feel bad for her situation but the facts are no evil developer stepped in and took the property, it was listed on the GRAR website and EVERYONE had the chance to step in and make an offer or buy it. As to how and why it went up for sale is not some EVIL developers problem, that has to do with the courts..... big difference in my opinion

• GRDadof3 changed the title to Wealthy Street Mega Thread