Wealthy Street Mega Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s too bad investors in the area burned down the old Wild Bunch club house on purpose to get them out and drive up property value! I frequented the club house and it had an amazing stage and could h

Here’s the scoop from the meeting. The building owner, contractor, architect and City staff were present, plus written testimony from the engineer. City staff presented a detailed history of the prope

Cynthia, I appreciate the direction of your post, but would it be too much to ask around a little more to get the facts of why we made the service change? I'll tell you, straight from the horse's mout

Posted Images

Is it a brewery or will Bell's be offered on tap? The article isn't very clear.

I can't imagine that they would do a brewery at the airport.  I would think that it would be a bar/restaurant owned and operated by Bell's serving only Bell's beer.  All we need now is for Short's and New Holland to come to GR and my dreams will be fulfilled.  

I can't imagine that they would do a brewery at the airport.  I would think that it would be a bar/restaurant owned and operated by Bell's serving only Bell's beer.  All we need now is for Short's and New Holland to come to GR and my dreams will be fulfilled.  

Yeah, I can't imagine they could brew beer there, probably just on tap. But it sounds like the airport is trying to get a local brewery in there as well. I did find it odd that visitors to Grand Rapids would be treated to a beer from... Kalamazoo. "Did I land at the right airport?" :)

They're also going to have a craft brew section called the Great Lake Tap Room in Concourse B. The airport and ExperienceGR are going full bore on the Beer City thing.

I hope this is this is just the first installment of a larger plan for them to become more of a regional brand. Maybe other airports like AZO and DTW will soon get a Bell's? Of course it would make sense for GRR to have GR Brewing Co or Founders or some other GR based one there, hopefully the Beer City theme means that one of them could open up shop there as well, a little bar hopping in the airport before boarding sounds like fun. 

• 1 month later...

Saw a sign in the window of Sand Mann's that a Little Caesars is going in soon. I am glad a business is filling an empty building but not so thrilled that it is a big chain (and one of such low quality too)

This may be more of an Eastown thing, but the car wash at the west end on Wealthy, which had a for sale sign for a while, has SOLD sticker up now.

Not sure if the likely clean-up costs would mean anything other than the car wash continuing, but one can hope for something better! 

Saw a sign in the window of Sand Mann's that a Little Caesars is going in soon. I am glad a business is filling an empty building but not so thrilled that it is a big chain (and one of such low quality too)

Yes, my daughter always says if you could get Little Caesar's Crazy Bread and Hungry Howie's pizza, that'd be the best pizza place. LC's pizza is utter crap now.

• 2 weeks later...

An unfortunately needed renovation I noticed today is at the Huntington Bank on the corner of Wealthy and Fuller.

A very serious security gate has been installed just inside the front door. I didnt look at it too closely, but it looks almost TSA grade. Nothing will get through that without a fight.

What a shame. That bank really made an effort to help bring some needed light to that area. The people there are always so polite and welcoming.

Now they had to hire security guards (sometimes 2 at the same time), and put this up because all of that has been met with a kick in the rear. 

• 3 weeks later...

Drove by this building today, and according to a banner outside, it will be the future home of the "Elk Brewery"!

Hope the future owners invest in a new paint job! :whistling:

[EDIT] And if I bothered to read the post above mine I would have seen that everyone already knew that.

405819735_74d0247b11_o.jpg

It's aliiiiiive.

http://therapidian.org/elk-brewing-under-full-construction

https://www.facebook.com/ElkBrewing

• 2 weeks later...

So This building has been pretty much the same for the past 5 years. When I took this photo the other day, there was a guy working on something in there. the inside has some tools but is pretty cluttered. It seems like there would be some serious potential for such a big building in a prime location (especially with the easy access for delivery trucks)

9341787743_e887f1d505_c.jpg

2007 photo:

405819739_691d2708db_z.jpg

So what's the deal with this building?

Regarding the new Elk Brewery...sounds like they will bring the building to the sidewalk but only occupy that one building?

What is with the Wild Bunch building next door?  I assume that is not part of the deal?

Hopefully this brewery and the new Taco place across the street will clean up the Wild Bunch building.

Also...with the purchase of the run down part store across from Wealthy Street Bakery...a few more long awaited positives for Wealthy st.

You would think after all of these years they would invest in making the outside not look so trashy? With things going in on either side, they might start seeing pressure to at  least splash a new coat of paint on the place.

Speaking of which, the "Heating and Cooling" building on the SE side of the Wealthy/Eastern intersection looks to have received just that. I don't know what the story is about that place. It's another one of those places that use to house a real business but now is just a place where the owner's trash accumulates while he is retired? I've noticed piles of junk mail covered in dust when I peeked through the door a while ago, and there is occasionally a couple of guys there tossing stuff in a dumpster out front. I really hope they are dressing up the place to sell

Does anyone still use the Wild Bunch? Do they have a liquor license?

I have been driving past that building twice a day, 5 days a week for two years...I have never seen anyone going in or out.

Hey, set up an event for them on FB, see who attends.

This is pretty awesome!

http://therapidian.org/local-brewers-create-tree-inspired-beers-benefit

To support Friends of Grand Rapids Parks and their Urban Tree-PLanting Project, 17 local breweries created tree-inspired beers that they will be selling August 4-10. Purchase of the special beers raises money to increase the tree canopy in every part of the city. 
  • GRDadof3 changed the title to Wealthy Street Mega Thread