Parking problem downtown - too much of it? Not enough?

GRDadof3

• 2 weeks later...

• 6 months later...

I know they decided to go with a stacked approach (commercial/retail on bottom, parking, then building rights above). I believe they also want to keep development away from the old portion of the library, so I think you’ll see green space with no buildings on the south side of the development. They had a few options for the type of park they’d put in, but I don’t believe that was decided on. Just the basic structure (as opposed to a liner building, etc). 

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Mlive Article about percentage of property used for parking Downtown (28%):

https://archive.ph/SrD7l

It's definitely better than it was.  There are still some prime spots and as much as I hate surface lots, I'd be fine waiting for something that will be our new tallest.

Speaking of parking, weren't there a few city ramps that were close to the end of their life?  What is their fate?  That could be a huge opportunity for the city and developers.  

• Like 1

The more we can eliminate just parking lots for buildings that include space for a parking ramp but majority residential or office or retail is a win. Lots do nothing for the surrounding community except leave space for cars. Cars are important, but people are more important. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jonesey said:

It's definitely better than it was.  There are still some prime spots and as much as I hate surface lots, I'd be fine waiting for something that will be our new tallest.

Speaking of parking, weren't there a few city ramps that were close to the end of their life?  What is their fate?  That could be a huge opportunity for the city and developers.  

The Louis Campau ramp was rumored to be torn down soon for something mixed use. That was what I had been told when I worked at AHC. However, my new career is more connected, and let's just say that rumor is not true.

I keep seeing smaller surface lots and hoping for something to happen. The wedge lot on Fulton and Ionia was going to be awesome when it was developed with that tower, but that project sadly died.

Edited by Cookin_peacocks
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

The Louis Campau ramp was rumored to be torn down soon for something mixed use. That was what I had been told when I worked at AHC. However, my new career is more connected, and let's just say that rumor is not true.

I keep seeing smaller surface lots and hoping for something to happen. The wedge lot on Fulton and Ionia was going to be awesome when it was developed with that tower, but that project sadly died.

While it may not be planned for mixed use (yet), isn't Louis Campau approaching end of life? That was the first lot that came to mind when @Joneseyasked. It seems like it's the oldest at this point (except for maybe the Amway parking structure).

Joe

Speaking of parking, my hope is that they will build the pedestrian bridge across the river (as shown in plans) and maybe a partnership between the parking commission and GVSU to share a ramp to the South (not on the river) that could be used for events. GVSU's short-long term plans seem to be removing surface parking. Might be a win-win.

I just want a bridge that gives another connection between the east and west sides of the river. :)

Joe

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

While it may not be planned for mixed use (yet), isn't Louis Campau approaching end of life? That was the first lot that came to mind when @Joneseyasked. It seems like it's the oldest at this point (except for maybe the Amway parking structure).

Joe

Speaking of parking, my hope is that they will build the pedestrian bridge across the river (as shown in plans) and maybe a partnership between the parking commission and GVSU to share a ramp to the South (not on the river) that could be used for events. GVSU's short-long term plans seem to be removing surface parking. Might be a win-win.

I just want a bridge that gives another connection between the east and west sides of the river. :)

Joe

I'm not too sure what the plan is for the Amway ramp. It was in REALLY rough shape when I worked there and I know they spent millions to repair it. But even after the repairs, it was like a bandaid and a kiss on the cheek to treat a gun shot wound. It's functional, but it's time has come.

The location there is so prime for them to build a new ramp with air rights (maybe all their offices? Maybe the convention hotel?)

5 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

I'm not too sure what the plan is for the Amway ramp. It was in REALLY rough shape when I worked there and I know they spent millions to repair it. But even after the repairs, it was like a bandaid and a kiss on the cheek to treat a gun shot wound. It's functional, but it's time has come.

The location there is so prime for them to build a new ramp with air rights (maybe all their offices? Maybe the convention hotel?)

Yeah I feel like they are constantly working on that ramp.  Maybe AHC could work with the city to replace Louis and their ramp.  I would think AHC's biggest concern is nearby valet/guest parking.  If they did one at a time that could work.

4 hours ago, Jonesey said:

Yeah I feel like they are constantly working on that ramp.  Maybe AHC could work with the city to replace Louis and their ramp.  I would think AHC's biggest concern is nearby valet/guest parking.  If they did one at a time that could work.

The other thing is they are planning on having employees park at the zoo and shuttle them on once the project at Market/Fulton gets started. Maybe building a new ramp that's large and could accommodate their employees and guests would be best 

• Like 2