Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gvsusean

Whats your favorite building in GR

55 posts in this topic

My personal fav (now that my black building is, in essence, gone) is the united way building on commerce (ill provide a pic later)

Ledyard, especially with the facade along Ottawa, hands down the coolest building in town.

Other favorites include the Waters Building and Pantlind Hotel

I dont have any pics handy... but I know some of you UPers do... :whistling:

McKay. I don't think I really need to show pics of that one.

Another is what is left of a building I know not the name of, but it's now the NW corner of the Amway... light cream and yellow brick with colourful decorative shields and such near the top.

...Another is what is left of a building I know not the name of, but it's now the NW corner of the Amway... light cream and yellow brick with colourful decorative shields and such near the top.

the old bono's building on plainfield. (sans sazarac's paint job)

That would be the Exhibitors Building. Originally it was a wholesale furniture showroom with multiple furniture manufacturers as tenants. Several buildings about the same age also started life as furniture showrooms such as the Waters Building. These buildings all had plenty of windowless interior space.

My favorite has got to be 77 Monroe Center, the Michigan National Bank Building. Lots of cool exterior details that no one could afford to duplicate if built today.

Here's as good a place as any for me to ask a question that's been bugging the heck out of me...WTF is that building west of I-96, right at the Cascade Rd exit? It has a spindly observatory-type end, with the faux "walls falling off the building like dominoes" wall on the other side. Seriously weird, I'm conflicted on how to feel about it.

Here it is (I think) in Google Maps.

My favorite is the old water filtration plant on north monroe. Love the silos with the tile roofs. I was so happy that it got renovated.

monroe_avenue_water_filtration_plant.jpg

Here's as good a place as any for me to ask a question that's been bugging the heck out of me...WTF is that building west of I-96, right at the Cascade Rd exit? It has a spindly observatory-type end, with the faux "walls falling off the building like dominoes" wall on the other side. Seriously weird, I'm conflicted on how to feel about it.

I'll second that one Justin!! It's definately one of the most unique buildings in GR.

My favorite underrated building.....(don't laugh).......The old frieght depot across the street from the Rapid. There is something about that building that I just love.

No, but in their words, they wanted to build something that would become a icon for west michigan. Something like the Calder, VAA, etc. IMO, they failed miserably.

I'll second that one Nitro. I have always liked that building. It's a diamond in the rough.

My favorite underrated building.....(don't laugh).......The old frieght depot across the street from the Rapid. There is something about that building that I just love.

I've always loved the sight of McKay and the Pantlind, brings up images from a different time period.

The Waldron building (thanks for the name GRDad) and the "Icehouse" building have always been my two favorite buildings. I also like the Hoffman Jeweler's building in EGR. While I love big building, the little gems are really great.

Joe

Have to agree with torgo. The Ledyard building is fantastic.

No, that wasn't their concept at all. Their concept for the building was that it is a learning center. It supposed to be a working laboratory that shows architectural design from all facets. The interior of the building has a lot of exposed details and assemblies.

I'm no fan of the exterior of the building, but I hear the inside is a lot more interesting. I personally haven't seen it.

I still have no idea how the steel palm trees fit into that concept................but what the hey. Everybody loves palm trees, right?

77 monroe center probably, I would like the AGP a lot more if it were about 10 stories taller