Whats your favorite building in GR

gvsusean

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"The Learning Center illustrates our ability to design facilities that educate with concrete and steel. This landmark building, open to the community for lectures, events, and tours, shows a variety of construction techniques and materials, creating a “living” portfolio. It also offers a creative, inspirational home for our architects, engineers and interior designers."

locations.jpg

via: http://www.intarch.com/

No, that wasn't their concept at all. Their concept for the building was that it is a learning center. It supposed to be a working laboratory that shows architectural design from all facets. The interior of the building has a lot of exposed details and assemblies.

I'm no fan of the exterior of the building, but I hear the inside is a lot more interesting. I personally haven't seen it.

I still have no idea how the steel palm trees fit into that concept................but what the hey. Everybody loves palm trees, right?

"The Learning Center illustrates our ability to design facilities that educate with concrete and steel. This landmark building, open to the community for lectures, events, and tours, shows a variety of construction techniques and materials, creating a

The whole "deconstructionist" theme has become the laughing stock of the regional architecture community. Some pals of mine over at Progressive AE refer to this bldg as the "Football Hall of Shame".

I've been inside and it is no more inspirational than the exterior. It has also been on the market for years with no measurable interest as far as I know.

Hands down favorite building, Welsh Auditorium. THE finest example of art deco architecture in GR.

civic_auditorium_grand_rapids.jpg

Yeah, I know it's only a facade now, but the best of it still remains--eight columns, limestone facade, and a lobby that brings you back to a era with class.

Glorious.

I think it is actually plaster of paris. Made by Dan Carlson of Carlson Signs (who makes a lot of the cool signs in and around town). When they first went up, the eyes had red LEDs but I think they shut them off or they stopped working soon after they went on the building.

That photo appears to predate the gargoyles... or should I say gargoyle, since there is only one left. I'm pretty sure it's plastic.

Archived