Is Burlington a Potential Transit Central Location Between the Triangle and the Triad

urbanaturalist

I just saw this potential Triad commuter rail map and it had Burlington as the eastern ending point. Clemmons would be the western ending point But Burlington is what I was looking at. Burlington is in such an envious location especially for future development b/se it sits between the Triangle and the Triad along I-40. If the Triangle can ever get its TTA rail together and eventually expand it to reach Orange County, then Alamance County is a relatively short distance away to push it onward to Burlington. Same goes for the potential Triad rail system.

Burlington could be a really important Hub and TOD destination, with people hopping on trains all times all day to get to the cities along I-40 corridor. I guess the TTA rail and the Triad rail would meet at a central Hub location, with passengers getting off the train to get on the other rail system. I know it could work and be relatively seamless. It would be a an expensive endeavor, but very much worthwile considering NC needs to funnel better development near transit stations for those next 2-3 million people that will surely be coming to the Piedmont alone.

Just something to ponder.

Another reason that the NC General Assembly, and future Governors, and voters alike need to refocus transportation agendas to rail.

I'm not sure if either transportation authorities have even considered the benefit of converging into Burlington, especially the TTA since the current map stops in Chapel Hill. Whereas the Triad rail map stops in Burlington. As for aligning systems, Chapel Hill is sort of out of the way, b/se its south of Burlington and Durham. Regardless, those kinks could be worked out.

Triad potential rail map

http://www.partnc.org/images/MIS-wide.pdf

Triangle (TTA) potential rail map

http://www.ridetta.org/Regional_Rail/Curre...sitPlanMap.html

WHAT DO YALL THINK????????

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this should be planned for, and the push will have to come from local officials. I don't know if they are thinking in these terms just yet.

Burlington and Graham are poised for some very sprawly, ugly growth - it's starting to come on now, though the worst of it is IMO a few years off still. They both also have nice downtowns that could be invested in in ways that would contribute to some smarter growth and transit-oriented plans - we'll see what can be made to happen. The population is coming - I know a lot of couples who live in Alamance because one works in CH, Durham or RTP and the other works in the Triad, and it's a hell commute in either direction, but rail would help because the numbers aren't going to go down, and the hwy commute will only get worse. The economies of the Triangle and Triad are IMO a little more interrelated than a lot of people acknowledge, given the proximity, and this will only increase, and both the good and the bad side-effects will principally affect the area from Orange through Alamance into E Guilford. Planning should acknowledge this.

I think this should be planned for, and the push will have to come from local officials. I don't know if they are thinking in these terms just yet.

Burlington and Graham are poised for some very sprawly, ugly growth - it's starting to come on now, though the worst of it is IMO a few years off still. They both also have nice downtowns that could be invested in in ways that would contribute to some smarter growth and transit-oriented plans - we'll see what can be made to happen. The population is coming - I know a lot of couples who live in Alamance because one works in CH, Durham or RTP and the other works in the Triad, and it's a hell commute in either direction, but rail would help because the numbers aren't going to go down, and the hwy commute will only get worse. The economies of the Triangle and Triad are IMO a little more interrelated than a lot of people acknowledge, given the proximity, and this will only increase, and both the good and the bad side-effects will principally affect the area from Orange through Alamance into E Guilford. Planning should acknowledge this.

Burlington is actually part of the Triad but its central location between Greensboro and Durham along the rail corridor puts the city in a very envious position. Burlington will soon a surge in growth and really we are already beginning to see that surge.

The truth is that both the Triangle and Triad's rail efforts have not seen much movement late, and in all likelihood, there will be connections within the Raleigh-Durham and Winston-GSO corridors well before Burlington has commuter rail extended there.

Joining PART and starting local bus service in Burlington are good moves. Unfortunately, most of Burlington's recent growth has been hideous and poorly planned in classic suburban forms. If Burlington continues in this way, the only way it will be a successful rail destination is to put a massive parking deck next to the Amtrak station.

If I had to rank the top 5 the stations... Greensboro, High Point, Salisbury, Burlington, and then Cary. Few people know Burlington's train station is a refurbished building from the originally NCRR headquarters and maintenance yard circa 1880's. Inside there is a small museum with a full scaled diesel locamotive, and a model of the original railyard in Burlington during the late 19th century.

Archived