Jibarra

capitalapts

Hey folks, can I get a review of Jibarra from some of you foodies who've been there? I think that dmccall mentioned that they have some kind of takeout window somewhere, too, perhaps? Maybe I was dreaming, though. I am jonesing for some sabrosa chow until dos taquitos opens up around the corner!

thanks

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jibarra is the upscale Mexican restaurant on Six Forks road. I've been thrice and overall enjoyed my meals. The first time I got the chicken with cuitlacoche sauce and a rabbit taquito. The second time I got a steak dish. The third time I got the taquito and the Mexican osso bucco equivalent. The one thread I've found is that food tends to be a little overcooked. The taquito is phenominal. The osso bucco thing was good, however when I went to bed, I was disappointed that my wife and I had spent around $120 and all I had was a taquito and a hunk of meat (and a glass or two of wine). I've enjoyed my meals because I so want a great version of the next step in mexican cooking (like the original Rosa Mexicano in NYC). Rosa this is not, however. However they deserve credit for trying. Check out their website.

Los Cuates is the restaurant next to the N. Raleigh Kanki that now has a drive thru location on Capital Blvd. Here's my review on Raleighing. It is a VERY casual place that has really good sauces and simple food. It looks a lot like some of the stuff that Rick Bayless eats in the Mexican markets on his TV show (PBS). What I've concluded is that everything NOT cooked with a corn tortilla is outstanding. The corn tortillas get into greasy-land, however. Just try the three soft tacos for lunch one day. The flavors are really good.

I am a big fan of Jibarra. Their portions/pricing are in line with most other fine dining restaurants in the area. I am a very adventurous eater and love how much variety there is on their menu (rabbit, duck, foie gras, lamb, skate wing for example.) Their atmosphere is very unique as well, it is relaxing and soothing rather than a bland, stuffy setting I've found in other places. My only complaint would be that the food while delicious is not spicy enough for me, but I always ask for hot salsas on the side (they have some great salsas!). Btw, I've never seen that osso bucco dish (it might be the lamb shank?). Their Pan de Natas dessert is crazy delicious.

I haven't been to any of Rosa Mexicano's locations (there's about 6 locations?) or Bayless's Topolobampo in Chicago but have foodie friends that have. They've told me they would pick Jibarra over those notable restaurants.

Yes, it was the lamb shank, now that I look at the menu. It was good, but it was just a (very good) hunk of meat in a bowl of juice. There was no starch or green to go with it. That was my only thing with it. It just wasn't a full spectrum meal like I get at places like Magnolia Grill for the same price or less. I know I know, the cuisine is entirely different, and that's what's great about Jibarra.

The decor reminds me very much of shabashabu.

• 3 weeks later...
Jibarra

Los Cuates is the restaurant next to the N. Raleigh Kanki that now has a drive thru location on Capital Blvd. Here's my review on Raleighing. It is a VERY casual place that has really good sauces and simple food. It looks a lot like some of the stuff that Rick Bayless eats in the Mexican markets on his TV show (PBS). What I've concluded is that everything NOT cooked with a corn tortilla is outstanding. The corn tortillas get into greasy-land, however. Just try the three soft tacos for lunch one day. The flavors are really good.

Archived