~ I traveled into the future

GRDadof3

The "cell tower" building, the concrete block building, the 131 building, better known as 38 Front Ave, former A&P Warehouse, Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company

407773960_64d1ca7404_o.jpg

407801162_24cfecf950_o.jpg

I read a couple of years ago that this building would be difficult to convert to lofts because it's all concrete floors, ceiling, large concrete columns and has no wood floors or wooden beams. But I traveled to the future and saw this building in all its glory again, as lofts. Actually, I just found another A&P warehouse near Atlanta that looks exactly the same and has been converted to lofts.

Not sure if anyone would like it though, especially not GVSU students...

407770530_ae568cffdd_o.jpg

407770531_0292803d1d_o.jpg

407770537_4aaa657a56_o.jpg

407773958_fbddfdeb3d_o.jpg

407770533_0fcd7d10cf_o.jpg

407770534_c970d1c596_o.jpg

407770536_74689dd921_o.jpg

On-site parking, riverfront, views of downtown, oohlala. And the people living in the building would probably be the only ones in town who wouldn't see the cell towers (because they would be directly overhead). :D

I actually found the A&P Lofts site while looking for images of something else.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The "cell tower" building, the concrete block building, the 131 building, better known as 38 Front Ave, former A&P Warehouse, Atlanta & Pacific Tea Company

I read a couple of years ago that this building would be difficult to convert to lofts because it's all concrete floors, ceiling, large concrete columns and has no wood floors or wooden beams. But I traveled to the future and saw this building in all its glory again, as lofts. Actually, I just found another A&P warehouse near Atlanta that looks exactly the same and has been converted to lofts.

Not sure if anyone would like it though, especially not GVSU students...

407770530_ae568cffdd_o.jpg

Anyone know how much Devries wants for this building? On CARWM it shows it at 25,000 sq ft, with the assessed value about $620,000. On-site parking, riverfront, views of downtown, oohlala.

I actually found the A&P Lofts site while looking for images of something else.

Actually I'm surprised GR's A&P warehouse was bigger then Atlanta's. Although I also forget that Atlanta mostly grew during the 60s and 70s. I think apartments would work better in this building myself. only because iwith Apartments you don't have to worry about the concerns of condo tenants.

Well apparently there's demand for 1900 GVSU living units out in Allendale, so I wonder if there is demand for 25 units at 1000 sf each here?

Veloise, I forgot about that little porte-cochere in the lower lefthand side of your pic. Would make for a nice main entry. I also noticed from the aerial that there is an appurtenance on the river side that would make for a nice game room/common area with a patio outside overlooking the river.

Well apparently there's demand for 1900 GVSU living units out in Allendale, so I wonder if there is demand for 25 units at 1000 sf each here?

Veloise, I forgot about that little porte-cochere in the lower lefthand side of your pic. Would make for a nice main entry. I also noticed from the aerial that there is an appurtenance on the river side that would make for a nice game room/common area with a patio outside overlooking the river.

407845712_20f59d2470_o.jpg

Rooftop terraces overlooking the skyline, riverwalk, volleyball court (s), riverside patios, two-story gameroom overlooking the river, trees along the 131 side to absorb some of the sound, but open enough to give a nice "screened" view. And as Greedo said, "real lofts". Imagine how quiet it would be between floors with all that concrete. :shades:

One thing I can say is that for GVSU students, there are a lot of really cool residential projects to live in, like American Seating, The Boardwalk, Union Square, etc.. that they just don't have at Western, Central, MSU or UofM even.

And with record enrollment at GVSU this year in both total numbers and freshman class, in a couple of years many of those students may be branching out to new places to live other than Allendale.

What's stopping Devries from partnering up with whoever did the other A&P Project. Maybe that would make things a little easier?

"Miller-Gallman, LLC is the southeast's premiere loft developers, beginning their love of converting old buildings into new living spaces in the 1980s. Together principal's Bill Gallman, Bruce Gallman, and Jerry Miller have converted a dozen historical buildings into loft housing. The team is recognized by the Society for Historic Preservation for several of its projects including Whitehall Mill in Athens, Clarke County, Georgia and the Flowers Building in Columbus, Georgia."

Miller Gallman Developers, LLC

236 Forsyth Street, Suite 104

Atlanta, GA 30303

404 584-0101

Fax 404 581-0206

http://www.atlantaloftco.com/

What ever happened to Mr. Knowitall? I liked his goofy ramblings.

I like that lofts in Atlanta. I think more care should be taken on the exterior if they renovate the A&P warehouse here. I also think concrete is great and would work well in lofts. Heck, if you don't like concrete floors, you can do just about anything with them. And stained concrete looks great.

Joe

Anyone else get a MrKnowItAll vibe here?

~

an electrical sub told me he'd been in that building and it has some settling issues, big cracks I guess. I wonder if the appraiser caught this when DV got a million bucks for compensation? The antenna makes him $$, the courts rewarded him royally, we just get to look at it.

Though in DeVries defense, they seem like pretty caring developers. Just look at Aldrich place.

I don't think they are holding the building hostage but it does have location issues. It would be nice if they knocked down the gas station and made that a through street once again. I'm sure they'll fix it up when the time is right (and do a nice job).

Joe

Wait, why did DeVries get some sort of court settlement?

I know of a cell tower on some land my family owns and I think we get about $500/month for it plus an additional cut if other carriers co-locate on the tower. Would that be enough to cover the property taxes on that building? I believe he does have a tenant or two as well.

And I doubt he'd need anyone's help restoring the building after seeing what he did to the water plant. I think it's just a matter of time before he does something with it. Right now maybe either got enough projects going or the market conditions aren't right. The building isn't really costing him anything so there probably isn't any urgency to do anything either.

Archived