San Fran on a Friday afternoon

sunshine

With permission from the owner Teknoturd, here are his pics...

And away we go!

IMG_0614.jpg

And away we go!

Old school on Montgomery. One of my favorites.

IMG_0615.jpg

Awesome gothic high rise on Montgomery.

IMG_0617.jpg

Peek-a-boo! I see you BofA building!

IMG_0618.jpg

One of SF's most overlooked, and no justice is done in this pic.

IMG_0619.jpg

The statues on the roof really make that building unique.

IMG_0621.jpg

BofA looking mighty washed out

IMG_0622.jpg

Montgomery St. canyon.

IMG_0623.jpg

The Palace, fit for a king, with the Paramount and the St. Regis looking washed out.

IMG_0625.jpg

Old meeds new, and finally a peek at the perfect colored sky.

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

Embarcadero 1,2,3, and 4. Most think they are ugly, I find them intriguing.

IMG_0630.jpg

The Ferry building withstood the great quake of 1906 and 1989, still standing proud and welcoming ferries to the city.

IMG_0632.jpg

Dunno what this building is and it has a twin that is hidden. It's gotta good style.

IMG_0633.jpg

Ding Ding! Going to the beach? Nope not anymore. This beach streetcar from England now serves the F-Line in the city.

IMG_0635.jpg

I decided to hope aboard the topless streetcar to get a good view of the buildings so thats why there are crazy party lights and electrical cables in a lot of my pictures.

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

Never noticed this beauty, look at the top section, I thought that was really cool.

IMG_0638.jpg

Very old meets, well...blah.

IMG_0639.jpg

Ooooh-La-La. Bank turned Emporio Armani, I'll allow it.

IMG_0641.jpg

I saw on VH1 that Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake stayed here a lot while they were...um...screwing each other, so yea.

IMG_0642.jpg

I think of that crappy Eiffel 65 when I see this building.

IMG_0646.jpg

Living in the lap of luxury...in the Fox Plaza. *BARF*

IMG_0648.jpg

Another friendly streetcar, this one's from Milan, Italy.

IMG_0649.jpg

MINT!

IMG_0650.jpg

My Grandpa's old house. If you can name the area or street you get...um...nothing, but it'd be cool if you could.

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

Metro snuck up on me

IMG_0653.jpg

Mmmmmm new Mission Bay housing.

IMG_0654.jpg

Well I hope you like the tour. I appologize about the shutter speed screwing up the lighting in some of the pics, but when you're in the shadows of canyons and whatnot it's hard to judge what would be best.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

OK. i don't want any flack for this not being at street level. it's all i have, and it seems like a lot of you guys are going through Transamerica Pyramidal Withdrawal (TPW) and I want to help. so here!

E

sf.JPG

Wow! I really enjoyed the photos. I moved out of the City a year and a half ago and live in the suburbs but, tell you the truth, when I did live there going downtown was such a hassle that I feel like I haven't seen those buildings in years LOL.

Sort of funny to see all these requests for photos of the Transamerica Pyramid and how it's become the most iconic building of San Francisco. When it was built, it was one of the City's most HATED buildings because...gasp...the architect was from LOS ANGELES! Not only that but it's also the site of the Montgomery "Monkey" Block that was demolished in the 1950s to create a parking lot...go figure. The Monkey Block was one of SF's most beloved buildings--survived the Quake--and lots of famous people hung out there including Mark Twain and a man named Tom Sawyer.

The building in the 2nd photo used to be the Banque de Paris (who owned Bank of the West). I remember I liked to go there as a kid because a lot of the employees spoke French.

The gothic highrise in 3rd photo used to be the Pacific Bell headquarters. I think it was the first large building built after the Quake. Does it still have the gargoyles on it? (I heard they were removed the last time the building was renovated :(

The building in the photo below the photo of the Ferry Building is the Rincon Center...? I think it has the Post Office and the towers are condos (or maybe office space).

The building that's in the two photos below the photos of the topless streetcar (the beauty you never noticed) is the Merchants Exchange. Its architect was Daniel Burnham and it survived the Quake. These days the building hosts large events and parties. The interior--renovated by Julia Morgan--is equally impressive, especially the ballroom on the top floor. Definitely go inside if you ever get the chance.

One building I wish you'd photographed is the Old Mint on 5th St between Mission and Market. It's been closed for years but when it was open it was one of the most intriguing places in the City.

Sorry for all the unsolicited trivia! :)

• 2 months later...

Sort of funny to see all these requests for photos of the Transamerica Pyramid and how it's become the most iconic building of San Francisco. When it was built, it was one of the City's most HATED buildings because...gasp...the architect was from LOS ANGELES! Not only that but it's also the site of the Montgomery "Monkey" Block that was demolished in the 1950s to create a parking lot...go figure. The Monkey Block was one of SF's most beloved buildings--survived the Quake--and lots of famous people hung out there including Mark Twain and a man named Tom Sawyer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know, it seems that most of the world's treasured icons were hated when they were first constructed. Prime examples are the former World Trade Center towers in New York, and the Eiffel Tower in Paris. I know that both were detested when they were constructed too.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

That is the California Center. Originally build at the 1st Interstate Tower. The top 20/15 floors are the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. At 48 floors it is currently the city's third tallest tower (soon to be fourth once Millenium Partners finish 301 Mission). Poor building, if the Transbay developments get approved, it'll slide all the way to 8th tallest :(

Wow! I really enjoyed the photos. I moved out of the City a year and a half ago and live in the suburbs but, tell you the truth, when I did live there going downtown was such a hassle that I feel like I haven't seen those buildings in years LOL.

The building in the 2nd photo used to be the Banque de Paris (who owned Bank of the West). I remember I liked to go there as a kid because a lot of the employees spoke French.

The gothic highrise in 3rd photo used to be the Pacific Bell headquarters. I think it was the first large building built after the Quake. Does it still have the gargoyles on it? (I heard they were removed the last time the building was renovated :(

The building in the photo below the photo of the Ferry Building is the Rincon Center...? I think it has the Post Office and the towers are condos (or maybe office space).

The building that's in the two photos below the photos of the topless streetcar (the beauty you never noticed) is the Merchants Exchange. Its architect was Daniel Burnham and it survived the Quake. These days the building hosts large events and parties. The interior--renovated by Julia Morgan--is equally impressive, especially the ballroom on the top floor. Definitely go inside if you ever get the chance.

One building I wish you'd photographed is the Old Mint on 5th St between Mission and Market. It's been closed for years but when it was open it was one of the most intriguing places in the City.

Sorry for all the unsolicited trivia! :)

Re: the Pacbell building, are you sure that's the old Pacbell HQ? First, the Pacbell building is granite (pale grey), not the earthtone color in the photo. Second, the photograper put it on Montgomery, not New Montgomery. Based on all his shots, he actually never crossed Market (The Palace long-shot from Montgomery near McKesson/One Post; the shot of Rincon Place down Stuart. I want think the building is actually the neo-gothic tower near Schwab's HQ on Montgomery (not the old Mills Building on Bush, which has similar cladding).

P.S. The Old Mint is being refurbished as the San Francisco Historic Society Museum

• 4 months later...

Archived