Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cotuit

Rhode Island Off-Topic Coffee House?

Coffee House Section for RI   19 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have an off-topic subforum

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know/Don't Care

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

28 posts in this topic

I've been told by a few people that there is a bit of off-topic banter that is floating around here, and it can be off-putting to some people. There are several groups of people who know each other off-line and we can tend to be clique-y at times I suppose. I don't want to bring the hammer down on that though. I like that people are able to meet and make off-line connections through UP.

Several of the other regional forums on UP have local off-topic "Coffee Houses" here we have the Lil' Rhody Lounge off-topic thread. I thought that was enough, but perhaps we should create a section. I'm often loathe to create new subforums because some people get annoyed that they have to click more and dig deeper to reach things. But at the same time, creating an off-topic section will allow those people who come here just for the urban discussion the opportunity to ignore the off-topic talk. It will also give us room for more off-topic talk, there may be some topics that people aren't bringing up and some discussions we are missing out on having because people think they don't fit here.

So what do you all think, is an off-topic section something you would like to see here?

wow, i'm the first voter... anyways, i don't really care. when i don't have a thread that i know something should go in and i think it might be off topic, i post it in the lil rhody lounge. sometimes it brings up discussion, othertimes it doesn't. i think that if people wanted to respond, they can. most off topic posts aren't usually major discussion.

however, if you do create one, i'd move things like the haircut thread the gym thread, etc to that forum. but i don't think it's overly necessary.

i voted no because I believe that the Lil' Rhody Lounge is sufficient. It says off-topic right in the name. i think you do a good job of moving off topic discussions into this area or breaking them into new threads when warranted. i realize that is a bit of moderating work for you and dont believe having another off topic forum will decrease that unfortunately. People get giddy in here sometimes and can lose track of where they are. overall i think most are good about self policing.

if people really want to start off topic discussions, there's the main coffee house. let them go there.

i don't drink coffee.

Well, if I created one it would probably be called the Lil' Rhody Lounge still, but it would be an entire subforum rather than a thread. So you can drink what you want. Perhaps a bacon smoothie.

I'd say yes. We do have the off-topic thread, but it's not exactly organized. I'd rather have multiple threads.

I'd say yes. We do have the off-topic thread, but it's not exactly organized. I'd rather have multiple threads.

I would like to see the off topic stuff in a forum so it could be better organized than having all OT discussion in one giant thread. Whatever you choose to call it is fine with me.

so, are we getting one or what? can we give it a clevah name?

so, are we getting one or what? can we give it a clevah name?

Yes, I need to get monsoon to create one for us and one for CT. I also need time to move threads around and stuff once its created.

How about "The Rhodie Red Chicken Coup?"

it looks like some chicken/vulture/turkey hybrid.

Just curious. Do you like/love the desserts @ The Cheesecake Factory?

Yes, I need to get monsoon to create one for us and one for CT. I also need time to move threads around and stuff once its created.

How about "The Rhodie Red Chicken Coup?"

I'm a little uncomfortable with poultry taking over the government. Not that the swine in charge now are all that great, but really, Generalissimo Rooster would be a step down in my book. ;)

"Coffee Milk Cafe"

Mmm... cheesecake

Ok, I'm finally voting for this.

For a while I've thought... we should just have less off topic discussion.

Then I thought, we just need to be better about keeping off topic discussion in the off topic thread.

Now... I want a subforum so I can completely ignore some conversations without the concern that it might be of some interest to me.

Ok, I'm finally voting for this.

For a while I've thought... we should just have less off topic discussion.

Then I thought, we just need to be better about keeping off topic discussion in the off topic thread.

Now... I want a subforum so I can completely ignore some conversations without the concern that it might be of some interest to me.

i'm going to start randomizing every thread with pictures of kittens, posting of recipes, talk of red sox etc until we get an off topic forum.