Rhode Island Off-Topic Coffee House?

Cotuit

Coffee House Section for RI  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have an off-topic subforum

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know/Don't Care

I've been told by a few people that there is a bit of off-topic banter that is floating around here, and it can be off-putting to some people. There are several groups of people who know each other off-line and we can tend to be clique-y at times I suppose. I don't want to bring the hammer down on that though. I like that people are able to meet and make off-line connections through UP.

Several of the other regional forums on UP have local off-topic "Coffee Houses" here we have the Lil' Rhody Lounge off-topic thread. I thought that was enough, but perhaps we should create a section. I'm often loathe to create new subforums because some people get annoyed that they have to click more and dig deeper to reach things. But at the same time, creating an off-topic section will allow those people who come here just for the urban discussion the opportunity to ignore the off-topic talk. It will also give us room for more off-topic talk, there may be some topics that people aren't bringing up and some discussions we are missing out on having because people think they don't fit here.

So what do you all think, is an off-topic section something you would like to see here?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow, i'm the first voter... anyways, i don't really care. when i don't have a thread that i know something should go in and i think it might be off topic, i post it in the lil rhody lounge. sometimes it brings up discussion, othertimes it doesn't. i think that if people wanted to respond, they can. most off topic posts aren't usually major discussion.

however, if you do create one, i'd move things like the haircut thread the gym thread, etc to that forum. but i don't think it's overly necessary.

i voted no because I believe that the Lil' Rhody Lounge is sufficient. It says off-topic right in the name. i think you do a good job of moving off topic discussions into this area or breaking them into new threads when warranted. i realize that is a bit of moderating work for you and dont believe having another off topic forum will decrease that unfortunately. People get giddy in here sometimes and can lose track of where they are. overall i think most are good about self policing.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I'm finally voting for this.

For a while I've thought... we should just have less off topic discussion.

Then I thought, we just need to be better about keeping off topic discussion in the off topic thread.

Now... I want a subforum so I can completely ignore some conversations without the concern that it might be of some interest to me.

Ok, I'm finally voting for this.

For a while I've thought... we should just have less off topic discussion.

Then I thought, we just need to be better about keeping off topic discussion in the off topic thread.

Now... I want a subforum so I can completely ignore some conversations without the concern that it might be of some interest to me.

Archived