Now this sounds familiar...

Yankee Fan

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trying not to turn this thread into another runaway River Grand Train of doom or anything. But Lansing's project seems to be of a similar magnitude as the River Grand Proposal, in size, costs, and what its intentions are. The Renderings of the Lansing Project are of the quality and artistry that I would have expect at the very least to come out of the developers proposing River Grand. I wish I had known of Lansing's project and could have posted this comment on the River Grand thread before it was closed.

No! No! He wasn't poking fun about the '99 riot in Lansing. He was joking about the shoddy renderings done with highlighter pens that the Developers of the multi-billion dollar River Grand Project proposal presented to the city or GR last week.

The red cedar is very polluted because of the farms upstream, so i'm not sure what they mean highlighting features from the water...

And it was a low blow to talk about the conditions there leading to rioting in '99. It's high-density student housing in the area they're talking about, and the "rioting" didn't start there, it just spread there.

This project is actually quite likely to happen in some capacity. The same developer just paid $120 million for a student housing complex in East Lansing and has done numerous large developments around the country. There have already been talks of the city condemning property to get it from reluctant land owners, however I beleive that it is illegal to use eminent domain to aquire property for private redevelopment. Pierce Co. The project is described under "Featured Projects".

This project is actually quite likely to happen in some capacity. The same developer just paid $120 million for a student housing complex in East Lansing and has done numerous large developments around the country. There have already been talks of the city condemning property to get it from reluctant land owners, however I beleive that it is illegal to use eminent domain to aquire property for private redevelopment. Pierce Co. The project is described under "Featured Projects".

it may or may not happen at the scale they are envisioning, but i can't imagine it would have to do with msu and declining enrollments. msu has actually increased enrollments by almost 10% since 1996 and the only two years that declined at all in the last decade were 2003 when enrollment declined by less than 1% and in 1999 when enrollment declined by less than .5%.

this development is supposedly targeting young professionals and empty nesters...

15 public universities in Michigan, including MSU and UofM, saw enrollment declines in 2006. The only one that didn't was GVSU. My point was that MSU's enrollment numbers have pretty much stayed unchanged for 20 - 30 years, so I don't see a need for $1 Billion+ worth of new living units in East Lansing.

If it's for professionals and empty nesters, then it will definitely not happen anytime soon. The Michigan economy is nowhere near healthy enough to support a project like that.

Archived