Cleveland / Bradley growth update

With all the disappointment locally surrounding the news that Toyota choose Mississippi over Chattanooga, there was a little glimmer in Cleveland that was almost overlooked.

(Per: Cleveland Daily Banner)

Starplex Scientific, a Toronto-based pharmaceutical plastics company, will locate its first U.S. operation in the Cleveland/Bradley Industrial Park. The company will break ground on the 67,000-square-foot facility on a 12-acre site in March and will hire 25 associates in the first year of operation.

Starplex manufactures premium quality pharmaceutical/nutriceutical bottles and is dedicated to the development of innovative premium quality plastic disposables, providing reliable specimen transportation for many facets of the healthcare industry.

Other news:

There was a reported $161 million dollars in permitted construction for Cleveland and Bradley County for 2006.

Downtown is about to start a rebuild on the west side of the Courthouse to bring it up to the standards established along the east side of the Courthouse which was rebuilt in the fall of 2005. (Pictures have posted on here in the past) Also, plans are in the works to tear down an old dry cleaner location just east of the Courthouse and to bring the 1st Street corridor up to the new downtown standard. The 1st street corridor runs a parallel east west route just north of Inman St. (US 64) The new $6 million police center is located along this section of 1st St.

There are a couple of new 2nd floor loft apartments going up on Ocoee St (US 11) one block north of the Courthouse helping to bolster the small but growing downtown housing market.

There is plans to begin renovations of the old train depot over on the far east side of downtown near the intersection of Edwards St SE and W Inman St.

The local hospital was bought out last year and was changed from Bradley Memorial Hospital to Sky Ridge Medical Center. Tuesday Sky Ridge announced a $45 million dollar expansion plan set to kick off soon.

Cleveland will soon be getting a Target / Kohl

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good developments.

Starplex sounds like a great industrial gain. Any rumors on final employment figures and how its pay scale will match current employers?

That Kohls/Target shopping center will be a great commercial boon for Cleveland I think. Both are quality retailers that any up and coming city definately wants to land, and getting them together in the same shopping complex is even better. Cleveland really seems to be moving right along at a solid clip.

The groundbreaking for Starplex was today in the South industrial park. Currently the only numbers they are giving are 25 employees to start. No word on future expansions or current pay levels.

**Update**

I just read the Cleveland Daily Banner and they are reporting that Starplex Pharmaceutical is locating to a parcel just south of Southeastern Container which is a facility that produces the plastic bottle for the Coca-Cola bottling plant just up the street. The Starplex facility will be 70,000 Sq ft with room to grow to 170,000 sq feet at the current location. Plans are to focus on growth of the pharmaceutical plastics divisions with a future potential to expand into actual pharmaceutical distribution. Plans are to be up and running in 12 months.

There

Here's the most recent data from the Census Bureau. They have just released their estimate for county populations as of July 1, 2006.

Bradley County....93,538(2006) up 1,402 from 2005. That's a very healthy growth of 1.52% for the year. Not bad! I think it's 50/50 the county hits 100,000 by 2010.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That should prove to be a very good drawing shopping complex. All those stores are very good retail outlets.

World Market is something I would be suprised to hear you all getting there sooner or later. Its sort of like Pier One, only bigger and with a wider variety (food, beer/wine, more furniture, etc).

There's a World Market down next to Hamilton Place Mall in part of what was Service Merchandise. Guitar Center is another retailer that moved into the same plaza in the past couple of years that could move into a market like Cleveland.

I suspect Cleveland will be getting a Sportsman

Sportsmans Wearhouse won't put a store that close to their one in Chattanooga. They are more of a regional draw and think they the one store in Chattanooga will serve a 75 mile radius. They told me this 6 months ago. I am actually one of the people working on Cleveland Towne Center. If you have any suggestions for retailers you would like to see in the project, let me know. We are always looking to have the best tenant mix for our shopping centers and appreciate local input.

Also, Cost Plus World Market is focusing on larger markets. We talked with them about this center a while back.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The $2.6 million dollar Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott is finally under construction across from Sky Ridge Medical Center Westside Campus. (Formally Cleveland Community Hospital) This is Cleveland's first hotel construction since 2001 when the Wingate was completed at the same exit. For anyone that travels I-75 you will start to see this 4 story building coming up over the next few months on the NE side of I-75 Exit 25 just above the northbound merge lane.

A quote from the Cleveland Daily Banner:

"The four-story Fairfield Inn will have 82 rooms, 20 suites, indoor pool, outdoor spa and a meeting room for accommodating up to 75 people. All rooms will be accessed from an interior corridor."

Other developments:

The Target and Kohl

yeah I noticed that on the Spring Creek site... Typo! The city should be at or above 40,000 now and the County will be real close if not above 100,000 when the 2010 Census comes out. The pattern over the last 5 years or so has seen 600+ homes constructed per year in Bradley County including Cleveland.

Spring Creek is getting ready to break ground on the commerical phase plus they are starting on about 6 different spec homes over in Phase II. I will get some shots once the buildings start to rise up in a few months.

• 1 month later...

The Book-A-Million relocating is sort of weird. Is there a need for it to move already? Surely its current facility is not that old, or is it? Is the new shopping area going to be that much better than where BAM is located currently that it would make that much of an impact?

The current Books A Million is in the Hickory Grove Shopping Center on Paul Huff Parkway across from Bradley Square Mall. This area is about 1 mile east of I-75 and where the Cleveland Town Center is going.

Currently Hickory Grove has a Goody's, T.J. Maxx, Petco, Books A Million, CiCi's Pizza and a few smaller shops. The out parcels include Chili's, Panara Bread, and A DQ Grill and Chill. The move seems like a mute point to me as well. The move might give them 3,000-5,000 sq ft more space and the anchors will be a little different, but it

Now I would assume, correct me if I'm wrong, that Cleveland is probably developing a good regional pull commercially due its relative size and location in the region. I would assume folks from surrounding rural counties who don't like fighting the traffic and the dealing with the potential hassles of metro Chattanooga would find Cleveland an appealing alternative.

Archived