Mag Lev forward

Saw this from the Tennessean and thought the folks in Chattanooga would find it interesting.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../703030313/1003

Good to see the project moving forward substantively with the project manager awarded. These guys are serious players as the Turin-Lyon route is one of the most heralded initiatives of the European Union's structural funds. I'll be interested to hear a revised timetable as this moves along... So much opportunity for Chattanooga to grow from this project though!!

Also, great to see the state of TN getting involved more in funding rail transit (finally!!). Maybe their strategic corridors initiative will finally get some action, lol.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Saw this from the Tennessean and thought the folks in Chattanooga would find it interesting.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../703030313/1003

Good to see the project moving forward substantively with the project manager awarded. These guys are serious players as the Turin-Lyon route is one of the most heralded initiatives of the European Union's structural funds. I'll be interested to hear a revised timetable as this moves along... So much opportunity for Chattanooga to grow from this project though!!

Also, great to see the state of TN getting involved more in funding rail transit (finally!!). Maybe their strategic corridors initiative will finally get some action, lol.

• 2 months later...

That is fantastic news! This is probably jumping the gun a bit on my part, but I hope the MAGLEV goes all the way to downtown Chattanooga instead of merely serving as a link between the Chattanooga and Atlanta airports only.

I think rail transit in general, esp. freight, will continue to get more attention and funding from both the government and private sectors. Its just good economic and business sense to pursue more efficient and cost effective means of transportation for people and goods in an ever increasingly energy crunched economic enviroment.

I rode on the TGV from Cologne Germany thru Brussels on to Paris and it reached speeds of apx 200 mph. I don't know if the MagLev would go faster, but even if it's about the same, then a one-way trip including a stop would be (I guess) about 1.5 hours long. But think of the luxury of having drinks in the bar car and getting off at Union Station just in time to check into the hotel and then walking over to RuSan or 12th and Porter... or (you name it)! One thing I've always wanted to avoid, but there is no way to do it now, is to bypass the hassle of going to the airport. A trip to Hartsfield from my house in Druid Hills still takes 35-45 minutes just to get to the parking garage on a busy Monday morning.

I'm beginning to believe this Maglev project may really have a chance. It seems that the cheapest and most politically viable way to provide a second airport in Atlanta is to build this Maglev project to the Chattanooga airport. People from the North Atlanta suburbs could make it to the Chattanooga airport in as little as 20 minutes! The new runway just added to the Atlanta airport cost a staggering $1.3 Billion. How much would a whole new airport cost? The estimated cost of the Maglev train to Chattanooga is estimated at $4.3 Billion, considerably less than a new airport. There are Georgia congressmen, Tennessee congressmen, and the Chattanooga Mayor all voicing their support for the Maglev train.

This could be truly huge for Chattanooga.

I'm beginning to believe this Maglev project may really have a chance. It seems that the cheapest and most politically viable way to provide a second airport in Atlanta is to build this Maglev project to the Chattanooga airport. People from the North Atlanta suburbs could make it to the Chattanooga airport in as little as 20 minutes! The new runway just added to the Atlanta airport cost a staggering $1.3 Billion. How much would a whole new airport cost? The estimated cost of the Maglev train to Chattanooga is estimated at $4.3 Billion, considerably less than a new airport. There are Georgia congressmen, Tennessee congressmen, and the Chattanooga Mayor all voicing their support for the Maglev train.

This could be truly huge for Chattanooga.

I think years ago, Georgia politicians weren't as behind the project as Tennessee was....that has changed and Georgia is getting behind the project. If this happens, which is looking more and more likely, the opportunities and growth that will accompany it will be tremendous and Chattanooga will boom, but boom in a controlled, managed way, unlike the sprawl that has taken place in the Atlanta region.

Archived