Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

joeDowntown

Mega Developments

9 posts in this topic

Reflecting back on the whole River Grand project and the impact it would have had on the city (without new blood filling the office towers), I don't think it would have been good for the city. It seems artificial megaprojects that try to build an entire urban landscape at once have plenty of hurdles. Canary Wharf is a great example of a development that was done right, but your talking London.

One Mega development that WILL succeed, and I think is absolutely intriguing and gorgeous is City Center in Las Vegas. If anyone hasn't seen it check out http://www.citycenter.com/. Not only have they assembled some of the best architects in the world, it just oozes cool.

I was in Vegas on business in november and they have a model of the entire development in Bellagio. Even the model is a piece of art. It will be interesting to see what this does for Las Vegas. MGM definitely has the deep pockets to see it through and when I was there, work crews were working around the clock.

I'd happily take any one of the building in the development and plop it onto our skyline. :)

I'd like to know what you guys and gals think of the design.

Joe

JD-

I like the Vdara Hotel design. What absolutely cool lines and a dramatic curve to that structure!

I could see a building like that anchoring the southern half of our skyline, with the curve facing north. I realize that it is another glass-centric building and that we have a few of those already, but this adds some character; something like this would fit well. Maybe at 57 stories this would need to be in the core of DT, but at 40-45 stories I think the southern edge would be fine.

I agree. I absolutely love the architecture of this project. It will look good in a city full of faux buildings. :)

Doesn't surprise me in the least bit given your comments on GRAM as well :dontknow:

Are you serious? There isn't on building in the whole development that you think is interesting?

I think they are kinda ugly.

Are you serious? There isn't on building in the whole development that you think is interesting?

Here is the model they had on a 8ft. rotating platform. Unfortunately, I got the worst shot with Monte Carlo in the view, but I impressed with the model. It looked like a piece of art in person.

414814254_5e2d4e80d5_o.jpg