Jackson Street Entertainment Disctrict

HX_Guy

How's this for an exciting project that we should all keep our eyes on and hope all the pieces fall into place...

Jackson Street Entertianment District - Central Ave to 4th St on Jackson St.

JacksonSt1.jpg

JacksonSt2.jpg

JacksonSt3.jpg

JacksonSt4.jpg

JacksonSt5.jpg

JacksonSt6.jpg

JacksonSt7.jpg

Pictures are from this month's Contact Magazine.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HX_Guy you rock! When I was downtown this week I was trying to figure out where and how it would look. If they did something to that scale, Downtown would explode! That's friggen amazing, that would be the catalyst to put us over the edge and into that "cool city" catagory. Really, all it is, is Westgate but in an actual urban environment downtown Phoenix. I hope they have the $ so they can bring it to life!!!!! Feasably though, do these developers have the clout to do this easily? You'll have to forgive me, I come from a land of big dreams and little action.

406223805_1af87b843c.jpg

I think this stretch on Jefferson would be part of it too, I know that pretty much right now, the Hard Rock constitutes our "entertainment district".

is there a time line on this? I couldn't specifically find one. I know they are in the initial stages with it, and have all the public hoops to go thru first. I just want to know what the tentative time frame is.

from what i remember reading the article, the (totally speculative) time frame is two or three years. there was no mention of where it stands in terms of zoning, city approval, public opinion / opposition, etc. i'd say it's early for anything concrete, but i hope that changes.

well and too, I think the city can afford to do that, something in place there will definately give them more revenue in the long run. And the long term implications of it are huge, especially if it could bring downtown to life. The city will benefit greatly from being a national vacation destination.

One thing I remember hearing is that developers have been silently aquiring the property they need in the area, and it's pretty much all secure.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My wifes company is working with them for the phx grand prx race in downtown this coming fall. What she has been told is that they are still on tract to do the project. I am hoping to get some good contacts and down the road, apply for a job for this project.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

this would be something completely different. This if built has the potential to be a national desitination with House of Blues, it'd be more a nightclub/ entertainment district where people could also live and shop. The others are more manufactured, regoinal shopping centers. There is no comparison

• 9 months later...

Clarebear brings up a good point. I think the difference is this is downtown. Riverview is more of a strip mall, same with tempe marketplace. Westgate seems to be more of a facade of a small downtown, a strip mall on steroids set as an urban center, anchored by two sports complexes.. The difference is it is not downtown, the heart of the valley. It is the center of the valley, and there are a tone of jobs in the area, and other attractions. Same with ASU downtown. There are more elements in this area that can, and will help it thrive as a whole. Its got the bones, the makeup to become a great place. Same with the phx urban form project which is a first of its kind in the state, and more. All of these elements come together to make this thrive and work. That

• 3 months later...

Some updated info on the project. Looks like it is moving forward. At the end of the article, there is a link to the document of the proposal to the city and more details then what has been provided in this topic.

http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.com/2008...-moving-forward

Good to hear this is moving forward. Since the economy is not good right now, it would be a good move when they are done that the economy should be picking up for the opening of this development. I think it would be a critical element to moving Downtown into a 24 hour city, or at least something to do and place to be.

thoughts if anyone is out there?

• 1 month later...
Some updated info on the project. Looks like it is moving forward. At the end of the article, there is a link to the document of the proposal to the city and more details then what has been provided in this topic.

http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.com/2008...-moving-forward

Good to hear this is moving forward. Since the economy is not good right now, it would be a good move when they are done that the economy should be picking up for the opening of this development. I think it would be a critical element to moving Downtown into a 24 hour city, or at least something to do and place to be.

thoughts if anyone is out there?

Well, I just left AZ for Denver. I am in grad school doing two masters degrees in Urban and regional planning, and the other one is in urban design. I am still working in the field, but as of now, I still have a job. If it gets worse up here, I will jobless which will suck. But I am thankful I at least have a job. Not a dream job by all means, but it

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Thanks man. Will do

Good news about Jackson Street ED.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/o...610wed1-10.html

Sounds like they are moving forward and it is going to happen. Since they are not getting the parking garage, seems like it will be all on the south side which sucks. Maybe the other owners will get in on this such as Suns and Dbacks in building up this area around their stadiums, parking etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have high hopes for something like this to go thru. But big doubts remain, It requires and influx of cash that's probabally not there, along with to many people cooperating. For it to truly be successful, we'd need to find a way to grow downtowns population, which, even with condo projects completed, lags far behind valley hotspots. Can someone tell me, with all the explosive growth in Arizona over the last 50 years, how downtown Phoenix doesn't resemble that of one of the nations premeir hotspots, but rather, has more the feel of a sleepy midsized midwestern downtown, that shuts down when the offices close? Is it just the overall mediocrity that native arizonans imbue? People who fight any little damn thing that goes in? Because they woke up one day and didn't realize that it's not the 70's anymore and 4 million people live around them now. Phoenix is at a disadvantage because of things like this.

Archived