Connecticut's Capitol area

Bill Mocarsky

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, we have been talking about this for the last few years. It is just recently that the idea of doing something about this area has been taking off. Until recently this area has been off the radar screen....because the thought of having to touch I-84 seemed to be prohibitive to many.

Well, it looks like were going to have to pay for I-84 reconstruction anyways........

Like Toni says, there are several proposals that are converging right here. They need to be looked at as one project.

They should just get it done right. Enough is enough already, let's reclaim this city space. They could reroute through traffic via I691 or Rt9 to I91 (I691 would be better than Rt9, depending on your starting point), and just dismantle the whole viaduct. Get it done right, bury it. I think a main problem is the Park River is under there somewhere, but either way, get it buried and build over it. It could re-emerge where it currently does before the river (I'd rather it go below the river, but that would never happen....

As for I84 - I wonder what could really be done. I agree that it's cut the city in two, but now there is no way to get rid of it and I don't think the fed are going to back another "big dig" after that fiasco. Maybe lower it like they did under the tunnel and I91 do bridgeways?

Maybe they can raise it 200' up in the air on stilts so it doesn't get in the way. lol

The big dig has been GREAT for Boston.. It takes money from all over America and funnels it to local construction companies and workers.

Yes, the project itself has been incompetently planned, managed and built. But the overall effect of te big dig ha been that a huge economic generator. It has poured billions into the city.

They should just get it done right. Enough is enough already, let's reclaim this city space. They could reroute through traffic via I691 or Rt9 to I91 (I691 would be better than Rt9, depending on your starting point), and just dismantle the whole viaduct. Get it done right, bury it. I think a main problem is the Park River is under there somewhere, but either way, get it buried and build over it. It could re-emerge where it currently does before the river (I'd rather it go below the river, but that would never happen....

Are you saying get rid of interstate 84? If so I think that would be insane.

Burying the highway might work but I'm not ready to pay for that just so we can have a park in place of it.

As for the big dig being good or bad, I'm not debating that...but it WAS a fiasco and cost the tax payers a small fortune. That can't be denied.

I agree they should put it below grade ... but I'm not sure rerouting it is an option. I've heard that Beatrice Fox insisted that the highway come right past G.Fox--and that the I-91 interchange be built there--to increase business. Ironic, if true.

No what I'm saying is bite the bullet, re-route the traffic and bury it. You may not have to pay for it, the federal government should kick in significantly, if they can build a bridge in Alaska for 200 people, they can re-route I-84 in Hartford.

Okay, thanks for clarifying. The bridge comment did make me laugh pretty good. lol Interesting point for sure.

The one thing I disagree with is that somehow federal help is "free" money. I know what you are saying, but it's all of our money in the end.

Bill I agree that something needs to be done with the highway and now is the time to be smart about it. I'm not against that. But what exactly are we talking about here vs the cost it will take to do it?

As for the tax dollars comment, I believe it's all relative in that regard. :)

No what I'm saying is bite the bullet, re-route the traffic and bury it. You may not have to pay for it, the federal government should kick in significantly, if they can build a bridge in Alaska for 200 people, they can re-route I-84 in Hartford.

Tycoon makes a very important point. We're already looking at $100 million to "fix" I-84, so when we talk about what it would cost to put it under ground (or below grade, as Bill has already demonstrated that we needn't actually "dig" in the sense of the big dig) the questions are (1) how much over $100 million would that cost and (2) what would the benefit be to the city, region and state as a result. Reconnecting Asylum Hill, the Capitol and downtown would be huge for the city and would undoubtedly make it a better place to live and work, especially considering how important each of those areas are to business. So we pay $100m for the status quo and we end up continuing to have to pump money into Hartford to counteract the highway's detrimental effect. Or we put say $200m into the project, put it below grade, save the money we would've had to spend on state-sponsored community redevelopment, and look forward to what the new and improved infrastructer holds in the way of business development. But we're too short-sighted for that. We don't think long-term. We think quick-fix. That's democracy. I'd far prefer a benevolent dictator, but they're hard to come by.

Archived