Moses Tucker's Vision for Downtown Little Rock

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is amazing actually. While it seems there is a large contingent (anywhere it seems) satisfied with the status quo "way out there" suburban attitude, I would suggest Little Rock is quite savy and sophisticated in this regard - at least a very sizable portion is...obviously. We'd be all over that if we didn't have small children with outside play areas as a priority.

From my own perspective, having grown up in Little Rock during the seventies and eighties, I'm very happy with the growth of the city, beginning with the creation of the Rivermarket District. Other then some scattered development along the fringes, the city was pretty dead for a couple of decades or so before that time and I'd pretty much give up hope on it.

St. Louis is just a sad story, imo. Even though it's population peaked during the fifties, as Aporkalypse noted, it was even more prominent as one of the largest cities in the nation around the turn of the century. My first visit to St. Louis was during the early seventies and it seemed a lot bigger at that time then it does today, although it probably wasn't in reality. Much of my family is from St. Louis and from the stories I've heard, it seems like it was once a really nice place, but that time has long past. I view the city as a relic of another time today. It seems as if it's doing better nowadays, but it's been almost 10 years since I've visted, so I really wouldn't know.

From my own perspective, having grown up in Little Rock during the seventies and eighties, I'm very happy with the growth of the city, beginning with the creation of the Rivermarket District. Other then some scattered development along the fringes, the city was pretty dead for a couple of decades or so before that time and I'd pretty much give up hope on it.

St. Louis is just a sad story, imo. Even though it's population peaked during the fifties, as Aporkalypse noted, it was even more prominent as one of the largest cities in the nation around the turn of the century. My first visit to St. Louis was during the early seventies and it seemed a lot bigger at that time then it does today, although it probably wasn't in reality. Much of my family is from St. Louis and from the stories I've heard, it seems like it was once a really nice place, but that time has long past. I view the city as a relic of another time today. It seems as if it's doing better nowadays, but it's been almost 10 years since I've visted, so I really wouldn't know.

I am happy to see such growth in downtown Little Rock. I have my fingers crossed in hopes that the next Moses Tucker residential tower will be more than 20 stories. Judging by the success of 300 Third and pre-selling of the River Market tower this could be a possibility.

The "St. Louis City" city limits were fixed back in the 1800s by the state. The poplulation in the "St. Louis City" city limits is only 12.5% of the St. Louis metro area, since those artificial limits just encircle the old small core area of the metropolitan region. So talking about the loss of population in that small region without recognizing that the people just moved outside the old city limits to the inner suburbs is no different than talking about people moving out of the core areas of, say, Oklahoma City or Houston to the suburbs. They just have their city limits much further out, but the core loss is probably the same.

The point of this thread is about downtowns, actually Little Rock's downtown.

Besides, I've already mentioned a number of other cities that have been closed off to new growth for decades as well that continue to grow by going up when they can't go out. San Francisco, Washington DC, Chicago, Atlanta, etc are doing just fine. Smaller cities like Charleston and Miami Beach are in the same boat and thriving.

• 3 months later...

This past week Rhett Tucker had an interview on KARN. He said that Moses Tucker had sold condos to people from Texarkana, El Dorado, Jonesboro and Ft. Smith to use as second homes. Jimmy Moses in another interview stated that within five years 3rd Street will be alive with people. I wonder what other projects they have in mind since River Market Place will open in two years? I know they own the Arkla block as well as part of the block at 4th and Cumberland, which will be developed first or do they have something else in mind?

• 2 months later...

Archived