CompUSA going buhbye

castong

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am seriously angry, sad, and perplexed all at the same time; mainly because they are keeping the Gboro and CLT stores. You mean to tell me that there are significantly more sales in those two cities than in Raleigh??? I think their real estate deal must have had something to do with it. For other than furniture stores, Glenwood Ave. is becoming an eerie retail burial ground. Is Umstead Park such a dominating wall that people don't make it to the edge of development out there?

I'm also irritated because CompUSA was really good for things like...6' monitor extension cables, hard drives, video cards when I need it NOW. I like Intrex, but they aren't open at night and the Tiger Direct store is a colossal disappointment. CompUSA's Sunday flyer was also a lot of fun to look through on Sunday mornings.

:angry:

Its sad to see such a great store leave, but personally, I buy my stuff through my oem channels for everything, so I can't say that I gave them any business that could have helped keep them here. I noticed that they are closing quite a few stores, more than half the chain to be exact. They are even closing stores in Dallas and Chicago and Miami, among other large cities, so I don't feel so bad.

The location and lackluster customer service killed the COMPUSA. The new Apple Store at Crabtree probably didn't help either.

This area needs something more than the Intrex stores and TigerDirect. TigerDirect is fine for somethings but they also carry some of the worst quality items as well. I'm amazed Microcenter hasn't tried to move into the area. Newegg is fine but sometimes you need something sooner rather than later.

I used to go to CompUSA once in a while when I lived in North Raleigh. Most of the times I went when I couldn't wait for an item to be shipped to me. However, I really am not too sad to see them go. I am pretty sure TigerDirect provided very tough competition to them--I myself frequent TD, some of their deals are pretty hard to beat for an actual store (not online).

The CompUSA building used to be Circuit City before they moved to their current location at Creedmoor and Glenwood. I thought the dark, partitioned rooms, and commision driven sales force was why I never wanted to shop there, but maybe it was the location. They did have a lot of computer parts, drives, graphics cards, etc. but it seemed they were trying to do too much as well. PC and console video games? Big screen TVs? The sales "help" was inconsistent.. a mix of "I don't know where anything is" incompetence and the "I just got laid off from my job in the park and need to make ends meet" overqualified type.

Stay on-line is nice, but is only good for RTP and south Durham folks, and they aren't open late. Tiger Direct is hit or miss, and New Egg has the built-in delivery truck wait. The old egghead in Crossroads was good, but I didn't go too often.

There are now too many Best Buys (40/15-501, Southpoint, Garner, Crossroads, Crabtree, Capitol/540) and Circuit Cities (South Square, Capitol/540, Cary, Apex?) in the area to also support CompUSA. It could have done a lot better if it was in Brier Creek, near RTP and the 540 corridor, but the chain as a whole is undergoing a severe reorganizing.

01C18500.JPG

There's the CompUSA when it was a Circuit City. There are a lot of Best Buys that's true.. for the record, I bought my most recent computer at CompUSA:) Sad to see them leave Raleigh in the dark. I think they should have closed 1 of their 2 charlotte locations instead and kept the Raleigh one as well.

Everytime I went there, I couldn't help but think about the old Skate Town that was next door...that and their sign that had a balloon shaped thing at the top that was bent from the famous tornado, and remained bent until they torn the building and the sign down.

Wow. I just bought a new PC from there. I'm glad I didn't let the salesman talk me into buying an extended warrenty with them LOL. I would have been S.O.L. when they closed haha. Oh well.. who needs an extended warranty anyway. I build and sell custom computers, so I can pretty much troubleshoot and figure out my own problems. I get most of my parts from Newegg.com and eBay. I also frequent TigerDirect when I need something immediately. It's especially convenient since I live on Capital Blvd. You can't beat the prices. The only thing I hate about Tiger is the lines. They only open ONE cash register. That one cashier has to deal with returns/exchanges, as well as purchases. The line often snakes halfway through the store.

Has anyone ever been to any of the other TigerDirect Outlet stores around Chicago or Miami? I'm just wondering how big their other stores are compared to the Raleigh store. The Raleigh TigerDirect store is disorganized most times and seems to have very little storage space.

There was some gossip before the CompUSA closures were announced that mentioned that TigerDirect was interested in CompUSA in some form. I doubt they would move to Glenwood but I would like TigerDirect to move to a larger store. Knowing the way Glenwood works The CompUSA will become yet another furniture store.

I guess I can only hope for Fry's Electronics (or at least Micro Center) to miraculously announce an expansion into the Triangle.

Archived