Texarkana may be marketed to Retirees

bigboyz05

Locals affiliated with retired and senior citizen communities in Texarkana see the potential for untapped growth here for businesses serving these populations and fostering Texarkana as a retirement destination. Texarkana Chamber of Commerce officials have said marketing Texarkana as a retirement destination is going to be part of the 2007 program of work. And the chamber has been working with local groups to have Texarkana designated as a certified retirement community through the State of Texas. http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2.../business01.txt

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Locals affiliated with retired and senior citizen communities in Texarkana see the potential for untapped growth here for businesses serving these populations and fostering Texarkana as a retirement destination. Texarkana Chamber of Commerce officials have said marketing Texarkana as a retirement destination is going to be part of the 2007 program of work. And the chamber has been working with local groups to have Texarkana designated as a certified retirement community through the State of Texas. http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2.../business01.txt

No offense, but PUHLEASE don't do this, Texarkana!!!

I can't stand it when I get out on the freeway in rush hour and come across a blue hair going between 50 and 60... sometimes even slower. Market Texarkana to young professionals, not blue hairs!!

Texarkana has a "golden" opportunity (no pun intended) to appeal to a certain demographic... please don't ruin it!

I agree with you. In the long run by appealing to the professional crowd. Texarkana could experience much growth and a possible boom. With the elderly crowd they've already passed their professional years so it wouldn't bring any type of industry here. I feel the city would die a slow death.

Cities are going out of their way to market to young professionals. Most of these are very progressive cities which are in the process of cleaning up their acts. They realize that, by marketing to young professionals, they can create a higher quality of life throughout the city and metro area.

Texarkana, for its size, impresses me by its progressiveness and diversity. Interracial couples are very common there, while in Shreveport-Bossier (pop. 400,000) they are almost unheard of. This is proof that Texarkana is progressive and the people there are not afraid to take risks (ie. interracial dating in the south!)

The cities are growing, though too much outward. I like the current plans to bring more businesses and residences downtown, but there needs to be a true, solid master plan. Bethany Hanna, who I've had the pleasure of meeting, is a great asset to downtown Texarkana, so she would be the right person to lead a committee to bring a real master plan to reality. She's pretty young, vibrant, professional, and has a real sense for business.

The cities who tend to lure retirees are typically coastal resort cities and such, not cities in the heart of the south. The cities in this area need to focus on attracting the demographic of young professionals.

Not at all. Why would that be an issue? Shreveport is luring back more and more young professionals, but we're no Dallas. We still don't have the perfect recipe to bring about a boom from that demographic.

If Texarkana has an opportunity to compete with Shreveport, they will take that opportunity no doubt.

Archived