Trail of Tears

skirby

The Arkansas Business reports there is a push to develop the Trail of Tears system in Arkansas. On of the main aspects would be an interpretive center built in LR/NLR. IMO the perfect site would be in NLR across from the Clinton Library. If it was constructed there I'm sure it would kick start the Clinton Library's rehab of the Rock Island Bridge. If the interpretive center was built at this location then it would also be a perfect site for the State to build a Welcome Center along the lines of the Welcome Center in Memphis. At this time there are Welcome Centers at the edges of the State so why not build one in the center.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Arkansas Business reports there is a push to develop the Trail of Tears system in Arkansas. On of the main aspects would be an interpretive center built in LR/NLR. IMO the perfect site would be in NLR across from the Clinton Library. If it was constructed there I'm sure it would kick start the Clinton Library's rehab of the Rock Island Bridge. If the interpretive center was built at this location then it would also be a perfect site for the State to build a Welcome Center along the lines of the Welcome Center in Memphis. At this time there are Welcome Centers at the edges of the State so why not build one in the center.

I agree with all of this but I think it would fit just as well over in the Clinton Library/nonprofit area as anywhere or possibly fit into the Historic Arkansas Museum (across the street in the parking lot South of it?) complex.

Regardless, I like the idea.

The reason I like the NLR site is that NLR was the point where different routes were taken. Some traveled south across the river at or near this point and others traveled west along the river on the north side. The old Rock Island railroad tracks in front of the Clinton Library follow one of the old southwest routes.

I like your rationale. I do, however, have trouble finding the continuity with the bridge to the 21st Century linking to the the Trail of Tears. Don' t misunderstand me wrong, I'd still support it. I am aware of past efforts to connect Native American History to the North Little Rock River Banks.

Recently, I heard someone associated with UALR talk about having some sort of historic site at UALR. I believe the southwest route cuts across the UALR campus.

Have you guys ever heard of the the Katy Trail in Missouri? It follows an old unused railroad corridor from one side of the state to the other. It's a paved biking/hiking trail. I think that is something else that would do well in Arkansas considering it's beauty.

KatyTrail

Didn't the southwest routs become Stagecoach Road? As for connecting the bridge to the 21st Century and the Trail of Tears I'm sure the Clinton people could come up with some way to spin it. Something like "follow the Trail of Tears to a place called Hope."

Archived