Big Announcement Wednesday

Does anybody know what this is about?

This could be the big announcement regarding one or both of the bridges downtown.

Then again, is that an "exciting announcement of national importance for LR and NLR"? Is something even bigger going down?

Per Ark Business' blog:

We just got our invitation to attend Wednesday morning

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anybody know what this is about?

This could be the big announcement regarding one or both of the bridges downtown.

Then again, is that an "exciting announcement of national importance for LR and NLR"? Is something even bigger going down?

Per Ark Business' blog:

We just got our invitation to attend Wednesday morning

Whatever this is, it's good news. I doubt it has anything to do with the Alltel deal.

Alltel is a problem and I'm worried. What was the point of breaking up BellATT when we're going to have one big phone company again before long anyway?

I just hope to God that they'll maintain a huge presence in LR if Alltel's purchased. It would be a devastating loss.

It is interesting that the announcement would include both Little Rock and North Little Rock. And why is it being made on the Main Street bridge?

Maybe they are starting a new transit service between the two cities involving the USS Razorback. It would be the first submarine public transit system in the country.

It is interesting that the announcement would include both Little Rock and North Little Rock. And why is it being made on the Main Street bridge?

Maybe they are starting a new transit service between the two cities involving the USS Razorback. It would be the first submarine public transit system in the country.

lol.

I never heard about the Alltel thing. That IS really troubling. There have been a few times while watching the Alltel commercial w/ friends where I've said they're based in Arkansas. They really are a source of pride for Arkansas, a state plagued with backwards-stereotypes.

But I guess all that counts is the bottom dollar.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Alltel thing at this point. The only reason any of the major carriers are even considering a buyout is because they don't want someone else to get Alltel. Of the two major companies rumored to be interested in a deal, AT&T isn't so hot after a deal because they use different wireless software than Alltel, and the other one is having a hard time integrating their last merger with Nextel. Plus, Alltel's shares are at a premium with all the buyout talk.

I really don't understand why Ford is doing this, other than he just wants a payday. The company is growing leaps and bounds, and a good leader would be focusing on that instead of selling out. It's very frustrating, I wish he was more like Charles Morgan in this respect.

Also, it should be pointed out how positive for LR it is that Alltel spun-off their landline division which is now windstream. It effectively keeps close to half the company in the city along with many high-paying executive jobs if Alltel ever does get bought out.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Alltel thing at this point. The only reason any of the major carriers are even considering a buyout is because they don't want someone else to get Alltel. Of the two major companies rumored to be interested in a deal, AT&T isn't so hot after a deal because they use different wireless software than Alltel, and the other one is having a hard time integrating their last merger with Nextel. Plus, Alltel's shares are at a premium with all the buyout talk.

I really don't understand why Ford is doing this, other than he just wants a payday. The company is growing leaps and bounds, and a good leader would be focusing on that instead of selling out. It's very frustrating, I wish he was more like Charles Morgan in this respect.

Also, it should be pointed out how positive for LR it is that Alltel spun-off their landline division which is now windstream. It effectively keeps close to half the company in the city along with many high-paying executive jobs if Alltel ever does get bought out.

Whatever this is, it's good news. I doubt it has anything to do with the Alltel deal.

Alltel is a problem and I'm worried. What was the point of breaking up BellATT when we're going to have one big phone company again before long anyway?

I just hope to God that they'll maintain a huge presence in LR if Alltel's purchased. It would be a devastating loss.

I can't imagine that's all it is. That barely merits that sort of pomp and circumstance.\

Here are the 12 from 2007: Prescott (AZ), Monterrey (CA), Palm Springs (CA), Lewes (DE), Waimea (HI), Bowling Green (KY), Arrow Rock (MO), Philipsburg (MT), Saranac Lake (NY), Bartlesville (OK), West Chester (PA), and Milwaukee (WI)

Here's a list of the cities honored since 2000...

National Trust's Dozen Distinctive Destinations

Nore Eureka Springs on that list.

Now, all of these are INDIVIDUAL cities. Only Little Rock OR North Little Rock would be honored. So why is it that this ceremony is being held on the Main St Bridge with both mayors and we're being told this is of "national importance" in a city press release? I just can't imagine this is all it is. It is supposed to be related to historic preservation.

Is there a large grant involved from another source to be announced simultaneously? A new major project to be unveiled? Do we finally have a solution to the bridge issues? Is Stephens finally going to renovate Main and that's part of this? There's something more to it than the National Trust - cities like Bartlesville and Guthrie, OK made that list.

This may not be the blockbuster that some expected but it's good news for those interested in historic preservation. The designation by the National Trust will showcase what Little Rock has to offer heritage travelers.

I don't think you can hold Scott Ford personally responsible for this direction the company is headed. It is the natural progression for publicly held companies. Grow, acquire then be acquired. The shareholders and the Wall Street analysts demand it. Nothing happens to AT without the Stephens' OK. It's ultimately their call.

That said, if AT is acquired by a larger telecom firm, the inevitable ensuing consolidation and "leveraging of efficiencies" likely won't be a positive for LR.

I wouldn't say it's a public company's destiny to be acquired. The shareholders and Wall Street analysts demand profits. Period. And I have no idea what you are talking about concerning Mr. Stephens, but he has nothing to do with this.

Anyway, who is the third largest provider again? The AP wire article mentioned it was a possibility that Alltel could actually be doing the acquiring, and they were referring to the third largest provider. I know it's highly unlikely, but I wish the leadership at Alltel would make a dynamic move like this instead of just giving up the ghost.

How can you say Stephens has nothing to do with Alltel? Isn't Mr. Stephens on the Board of Directors? Isn't the Stephens organization one of Alltel largest stockholders? I think Mr. Stephens would have something to do with the direction the company is taking.

Archived