Comerica Leaving Michigan/Detroit

detwaa84

Yeah, the tower shouldn't have any problem finding more tenants.

And, you guys point out, well, how little since this move makes. It almost leaves one to believe that the reason for leaving was just because the board members wanted to move to the Sunbelt, and little else.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tower doesn't need new tenants. It will still remain Comerica's Michigan headquarters. Remember 200 jobs are leaving, not more. 1000 (soon to be 800) are at Detroit One Center.

MotorCity Park: Home of the Detroit Tigers. :)

I have to wonder if DeVos gets a call before a final decision is made if he were sitting in the big Lansing chair. Just wondering?????

I don't like the fact that everything I have read says our state brass didn't know about it until the press release.

I doubt it. The board had already made up its mind, and it wouldn't matter who was sitting in the governor's office. I've said it before, governors don't have control over a free market system like we have in this country. They can, at the most, only hope to stir it, and even then there are many other factors outside of their control. You can tell Comerica had already made up its mind in that it didn't even let themselves be courted. I'd fault leadership if these companies would let themselves be courted and we still lost the company, but in our global economy, Big Business seems to be beholden to no one else but themselves.

If one is to believe Comerica's reasons for leaving Michigan, then you'd have to come to the conclusion that there is nothing that anyone could have said to them for them to change their mind. And, if you follow their reasoning through, then the blame for the shape of the state stretches back at least 3 full decades, from Blanchard all the way through to Granholm, and particularly back in the 80's and 90's when we should have changed direction. It is a fear of many, including myself, that we passed the point on no return quite awhile ago.

More simply, if you're to believe their reasoning (changing demographics) there are very few places in the entire Midwest region that are immune from these type of moves. Comerica didn't say "let's pack up and move to Indy, Chicago, Minneapolis..." No, they said "let's pack up and move to Dallas." This is going to hurt Michigan more than it may other states in the region, but I hardly think we can place the brunt of the blame on this particularly state or region. Believe me, if Comerica had made their intetions known, we'd have turned over heaven and hell to find every tax break we could. lol Still, I'm quite sure no incentive package in the world could have convinced them to stay, and that seems apparent.

I doubt it. The board had already made up its mind, and it wouldn't matter who was sitting in the governor's office. I've said it before, governors don't have control over a free market system like we have in this country. They can, at the most, only hope to stir it, and even then there are many other factors outside of their control. You can tell Comerica had already made up its mind in that it didn't even let themselves be courted. I'd fault leadership if these companies would let themselves be courted and we still lost the company, but in our global economy, Big Business seems to be beholden to no one else but themselves.

If one is to believe Comerica's reasons for leaving Michigan, then you'd have to come to the conclusion that there is nothing that anyone could have said to them for them to change their mind. And, if you follow their reasoning through, then the blame for the shape of the state stretches back at least 3 full decades, from Blanchard all the way through to Granholm, and particularly back in the 80's and 90's when we should have changed direction. It is a fear of many, including myself, that we passed the point on no return quite awhile ago.

More simply, if you're to believe their reasoning (changing demographics) there are very few places in the entire Midwest region that are immune from these type of moves. Comerica didn't say "let's pack up and move to Indy, Chicago, Minneapolis..." No, they said "let's pack up and move to Dallas." This is going to hurt Michigan more than it may other states in the region, but I hardly think we can place the brunt of the blame on this particularly state or region. Believe me, if Comerica had made their intetions known, we'd have turned over heaven and hell to find every tax break we could. lol Still, I'm quite sure no incentive package in the world could have convinced them to stay, and that seems apparent.

I don't think I ever implied that these other cities I mentioned aren't doing better. My point was that this could have essentially happened to any of the cities mentioned. Again, Comerica didn't decide to pack up and move to a more progressive region in the Midwest. They went to the Sunbelt, and I'm not sure there is anything anyone could have done, now, to prevent that.

BTW, I'll have to read more into the Great Lakes restoration project. I must admit, I'm not very aquainted with that issue. I suspect, though, that many (and probably rightfully so) doubt the economic impact this could have.

This lost does make me ask, though, if how can we possibly compete with the continued shift of our (Midwest and East Coast) population, resources, and economy to the South and Southwest? We obviously can't beat them at their own game (i.e. making themselves essentially tax-havens), so how do we adapt? There are areas even within the state that have found niches, but I hate to think that every city in this region is going to have to find a niche economy is even stay relevant. I mean, bio-science and the like, just as an example, are nice little niche industries, but they can't possibly employ enough people in our forseeable future to rival what heavy manufacturing employed in this state in the 20th century. I mean, even the areas that our doing well by our standards in this state are still bleeding this Old Economy jobs, that just can't be replaced as fast as we are losing them. What will happen to these people? Are they just left behind? I ask these questions, because it is these folks that believe the sky has fallen on Michigan. They are the ones driving public perception.

I think a great lakes resoration could have an economic impacts, at least in one reason. It will make the stae a more desireable place to live. Maybe it will make more people nationwide think the way i do- Its like an oceanfront, without saltwater, tsunamis, or hurricanes.

I don't think I ever implied that these other cities I mentioned aren't doing better. My point was that this could have essentially happened to any of the cities mentioned. Again, Comerica didn't decide to pack up and move to a more progressive region in the Midwest. They went to the Sunbelt, and I'm not sure there is anything anyone could have done, now, to prevent that.

BTW, I'll have to read more into the Great Lakes restoration project. I must admit, I'm not very aquainted with that issue. I suspect, though, that many (and probably rightfully so) doubt the economic impact this could have.

This lost does make me ask, though, if how can we possibly compete with the continued shift of our (Midwest and East Coast) population, resources, and economy to the South and Southwest? We obviously can't beat them at their own game (i.e. making themselves essentially tax-havens), so how do we adapt? There are areas even within the state that have found niches, but I hate to think that every city in this region is going to have to find a niche economy is even stay relevant. I mean, bio-science and the like, just as an example, are nice little niche industries, but they can't possibly employ enough people in our forseeable future to rival what heavy manufacturing employed in this state in the 20th century. I mean, even the areas that our doing well by our standards in this state are still bleeding this Old Economy jobs, that just can't be replaced as fast as we are losing them. What will happen to these people? Are they just left behind? I ask these questions, because it is these folks that believe the sky has fallen on Michigan. They are the ones driving public perception.

Wrapped safely in the arms of the city that loved and nurtured it, now off to be consumed and dissolved by the American south.

Farewell o' piece of Detroit heritage. But fear not, we will be something without you.

2006_0929AroundDetroit9_29_060076.jpg

Archived