High-rise Rumored for Blocks SE13 & SE14

eandslee

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Burt has mentioned in another thread, Richmonder on RCW said that the most recent plan is for 14 levels of office space and about 7 levels of parking (both numbers are approximate) on the largest parcel on the block. On the small parcel, a new hotel could rise. Less than 25 floors on this parcel would be disappointing to say the least. Perhaps the hotel could be included in the main tower and the small parcel could become some sort of green space? While the height may be a bummer, at least there's plenty of potential to create a more active streetscape with storefronts on the ground level.

Here's a Bird's Eye View

Maybe have you considered we're not meant to have huge buildings. Tall skyscrapers don't make a city a city. BUt I wouldn't mind having this as the perfect spot. And that small triangle is too small for anything. IF we should go to the two-way street plan, that block would no longer need to funnel traffic towards the Manchester Bridge, so the triangles would be reunited.

I'm really more in favor of just closing that connector and reuniting the block especially if they make 8th and 9th two-way. And I really do not think the smaller lot is big enough at all... maybe for a fountain.

quote name='Cadeho' date='Jul 31 2007, 01:55 PM' post='829877']

I'm really more in favor of just closing that connector and reuniting the block especially if they make 8th and 9th two-way. And I really do not think the smaller lot is big enough at all... maybe for a fountain.

quote name='Cadeho' date='Jul 31 2007, 01:55 PM' post='829877']

:w00t: A fountain?!!!! You've rung my bell (but don't tell the City's Fountain czar who roams around with a turn-off wrench).

Bear, at RCW, is on a major rant against 2-way street conversions. He's an engineer and seems very knowledgable on the subject.

I'd still like to see Grace and Franklin converted. :)

I had proposed that some years ago on RCW I think and I was shot down brilliantly about that. They said it would really kill downtown... but I think if done right, it would really make a great pedestrian downtown.

The goal is to try to slow down the traffic through downtown and that connector really speeds things up. Ther people who wish to go south over the bridge would have to turn LEFT on Canal (I think one-way traffic would begin west of 8th for Canal St) and right onto 9th.

I would love to cover the expressway through there if only to make more greenspace. I think that would really bridge the gap between downtown and the river if there were a greenspace linking the two. That's exactly what Boston did with the space gained on top of the Big Dig -- now there is a seamless link between the North End and downtown that was pretty sketch before.

All of this is straying from the topic, but I'll continue to stray for a bit. I like the idea of a greenway atop the Downtown Expressway. As thatguy says, Kanawa Plaza and a parking garage are already built across it.

Also, at the charrette was a bus transfer station discussed for downtown?

I have to leave to catch a Richmond-bound train at Penn Station by one o'clock, but will keep tuned in 'til then.

Archived