High-rise Rumored for Blocks SE13 & SE14

eandslee

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh ok I see what you mean... maybe it doesn't line the sidewalk flush... like from the southern tip of the triangle, it cuts inward slightly and then kicks out? We'll probably need to wait for better renderings to really know

/

\

I cast a "yes" vote. Its slanted sides give it a height perspective, and though it has a Miami look, so will Echo Harbour. I don't see that as a slight to traditional Richmond architectural values, but as an enhancement.

A perfect location for a 35+ story tower (that mid-portion probably is the equivalent of 3 mechanical levels). Nothwithstanding perceptions, it appears to be more than twice as tall as the old 18-story First National Bank up the hill at 9th and Main. Wish we could see the Cary Street elevation. It may rise from a single-story foundation that fits the triangle.

If this baby goes up, it will forever change the city's skyline impact.

Yeah Manchester Bridge or the Lee Bridge would be a nice view from an angle. It's just gonna be a great signature tower for Richmond. I know that we will be wow'ed once it is built. Even during construction we will be wow'ed. Does anyone have an idea when construction would begin?

Well, Joey. Unlike Centennial, they won't have to demolish buildings before starting the foundation. So maybe it will start sooner than later.

It may not rob Hampton Roads of "the tallest", but it sure will satisfy me.

How many floors do you count? I think at least 35 including the middle windowless section and the swooped attic. And it might rise from a one or two story triangular base.

I kinda like the building myself. Good luck to you guys although it would be bittersweet to give up our tallest building title. Oh well, you never know. It ain't over till it's over. :)

That is exactly what I was thinking. Also, the more it is "under wraps", the less likely it is that anyone would oppose the structure or its height. I'm hoping that they will announce the project one day and then begin construction within a month of the announcement - sort of how the Philip Morris research lab happened! That, to me, would be ideal! I also can't wait to see the view from the south side of the river. Anyone who is saavy with "doctoring" photos want to try to stick the rendering into a real photo of Richmond with a perspective from the south side? I'd really like to see how its going to look! With both this tower and Centennial, the skyline will definitely get a "beefing" up!

It looks like the western wall has a glass enclosed, inwardly sloping penthouse of maybe 3 or 4 floors under that slanted roofline. And could that be a balcony just underneath the sloping glass?

But I don't believe the building bridges 8th Street to the other small triangle.

OK, here the rendering out right:

NewRicHighRise.jpg

I count about 35 including the very top portion (mechanical?). That little thing at the top doesn't add to the height like a spire would, but it does swoosh upward - giving it some height! I like it too Joey! The image is a bit grainy (from a newspaper?), but I like what I see thus far.

Now this is a signature tower for Richmond!

Here's my verdict. And you all know how I feel about architecture in Richmond. Of course there is still room somewhere for my building based on the Capitol... I still would like to see the Madison reclad as that. And I also liked very much Tommy's building for the site... which also can be built somewhere in the city since this site's taken. Maybe it can be in Manchester or one of the many surface parkinglot blocks still left. And you all know how much I hate Echo Harbor, not for its design, but for the arrogant disrespect its developer has for Church Hill which I hope will change. Their design for it is not so bad. Then there are the sketches I've done that I hadn't shared yet which to me seem to be along the same lines. I will post those soon. I favor the mix of styles we have, although the roofs need to be less flat. There's nothing wrong with 21st century styled highrises and I agree more should be built as long as they do not trample or disrespect Richmond. And while I am sure you're thinking this is one long-winded verdict, well maybe I'm making no sense at all. But usually I go against the grain here, why would change? You probably wouldn't expect anything other than a no from me. Well I'll say, nothing more other than this: finally! :yahoo:

Here's my verdict. And you all know how I feel about architecture in Richmond. Of course there is still room somewhere for my building based on the Capitol... I still would like to see the Madison reclad as that. And I also liked very much Tommy's building for the site... which also can be built somewhere in the city since this site's taken. Maybe it can be in Manchester or one of the many surface parkinglot blocks still left. And you all know how much I hate Echo Harbor, not for its design, but for the arrogant disrespect its developer has for Church Hill which I hope will change. Their design for it is not so bad. Then there are the sketches I've done that I hadn't shared yet which to me seem to be along the same lines. I will post those soon. I favor the mix of styles we have, although the roofs need to be less flat. There's nothing wrong with 21st century styled highrises and I agree more should be built as long as they do not trample or disrespect Richmond. And while I am sure you're thinking this is one long-winded verdict, well maybe I'm making no sense at all. But usually I go against the grain here, why would change? You probably wouldn't expect anything other than a no from me. Well I'll say, nothing more other than this: finally! :yahoo:

Archived