New Hotels

richyb83

• 2 months later...

Maybe this'll be a Sheraton or Westin. What other hotels don't we have? "Marriott flag won't fly at Wampold's downtown hotel Developer Mike Wampold has the building and the Tax Increment Financing district, but he doesn't have the Marriott franchise he wanted for the boutique hotel he is planning to develop at 150 N. Third St. "We had wanted one and had planned for one," Wampold says of the Marriott flag. "But it doesn't appear that is going to be available to us at this point." Wampold bought the historic Louisiana National Building earlier this year from the Baton Rouge Area Foundation for $10.2 million and announced plans to redevelop it and donate proceeds to a support a foundation he established through BRAF. Several months later, he successfully lobbied the legislature to create a TIF district for the development of a 12-story boutique hotel with 146 rooms and average nightly rates of around $125. Wampold says he had had preliminary discussions late last year with Marriott before even acquiring the building but that he waited to apply for a franchise until after he had closed on the property and secured the TIF. When he went back to Marriott in June "the (franchise) committee had decided to go another route," he says. Wampold declines to discuss the reasons he was given by Marriott, which could not be reached for comment in time for publication today. Wampold says he is in discussions with other hotel brands and is even considering developing the hotel without a flag, which is riskier but also 15% to 18% less expensive, he says. He also says he still believes developing a hotel on the site makes more sense than doing a residential project." businessreport.com

• 1 month later...

Courtyard by Marriott headed to downtown Baton Rouge

A Courtyard by Marriott is planned for downtown Baton Rouge.

Marriott spokeswoman Nina Herrera-Davila said Friday that the hotel will have an estimated 147 rooms and be owned by developer Windsor Aughtry.

Meanwhile, a list of locations on hotel management company Hospitality America Inc.’s website includes a downtown Courtyard by Marriott, scheduled in 2016.

Representatives of Nashville, Tennessee-based Hospitality America and Windsor Aughtry, based in Greenville, South Carolina, are headlining a downtown development announcement set for 11 a.m. Monday at 260 Third Street, a parking lot and former location of a hotel.

Mayor-President Kip Holden and Downtown Development District officials also are scheduled to be on hand.

The event announcement contains few details, and officials did not respond to requests for information about the nature of the announcement.

The site for Monday’s announcement is owned by Third Street Acquisition LLC, according to records at the East Baton Rouge Clerk of Court’s Office. Tom Adamek and Gordon LeBlanc Jr., partners in Stonehenge Capital, own Third Street Acquisition.

http://theadvocate.com/news/business/10492764-123/courtyard-by-marriott-headed-to

• Like 2

Courtyard by Marriott headed to downtown Baton Rouge

A Courtyard by Marriott is planned for downtown Baton Rouge.

Marriott spokeswoman Nina Herrera-Davila said Friday that the hotel will have an estimated 147 rooms and be owned by developer Windsor Aughtry.

Meanwhile, a list of locations on hotel management company Hospitality America Inc.’s website includes a downtown Courtyard by Marriott, scheduled in 2016.

Representatives of Nashville, Tennessee-based Hospitality America and Windsor Aughtry, based in Greenville, South Carolina, are headlining a downtown development announcement set for 11 a.m. Monday at 260 Third Street, a parking lot and former location of a hotel.

Mayor-President Kip Holden and Downtown Development District officials also are scheduled to be on hand.

The event announcement contains few details, and officials did not respond to requests for information about the nature of the announcement.

The site for Monday’s announcement is owned by Third Street Acquisition LLC, according to records at the East Baton Rouge Clerk of Court’s Office. Tom Adamek and Gordon LeBlanc Jr., partners in Stonehenge Capital, own Third Street Acquisition.

http://theadvocate.com/news/business/10492764-123/courtyard-by-marriott-headed-to

This is a snip and picture of where the hotel will be located. I'm guessing that the hotel will be a few stories tall; seven or eight, ten if we get lucky but I think eight or seven is about as high is it will go. 

In general the hotel will round up this block and area very nicely. The Old State Hotel will be adjacent on the block to the left-hand side and raising canes will be on the right. I'm assuming that some road work in this area will be done soon, especially with all the activity that will be happening on this street alone along with some sidewalk improvements and greenery additions. I'm hoping that some developers like the ones doing 'Model Block' buy someplace on this street and turn them into unique shops for the area. 

On a whole this new hotel will really give a nice sense of place to third-street and compliment all the recent developments. It will add to the atmosphere and make for a nice addition to Downtown BR. My only worry is that there is still not a big enough draw to keep people there. There are not enough museums, attractions, etc. to justify such a massive influx of hotel rooms. Either:

1. They are overestimating the market

2. They are expecting IBM to have a big draw

3. A new 'big' company is coming downtown

4. Kip is planning to relaunch ALIVE (After reading up on that here I would say he has a MUCH better argument this time around)

5. Kip has something big up his sleve

6. A combination of any of these things

I'm leaning towards an overestimating of the market combined with the idea the IBM will bring in a lot of visitors. Instead we should see more apartments at this point over so many hotels. In the same breath I think Kip does have something big...time will tell. 

16049605-mmmain.jpg

2v9d6io.png

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this Eric!  Meant to post this earlier but simply got side tracked by too much football! :)

& thanks Mr Bernham for the visuals too! That's a good guess on the floor count :shades:

The footprint for this new hotel looks to be slightly smaller than the newly constructed Hampton Inn(137-rooms) a few blocks away...with the proposed Courtyard by Marriott being 147-rooms my guess would be 8 to 10 floors...how would parking factor into this?? Glad to see another new hotel being built from the ground up!

I like to see old buildings being re-used as much as the next guy...however the newly proposed Holiday Inn Express does not seem like a good fit for the old EBRATS(North Blvd) building next to the new Courthouse; it would work better as office space & Wampold's proposed (pic shown above corner of 3rd & Convention St) hotel at the historic 12-story old state building...Marriott turned down that location..we see why now! I think it would be better for residential lofts or office space.

How many of these downtown hotels remain successful before the market is over saturated?

Edited by richyb83

Thanks for posting this Eric!  Meant to post this earlier but simply got side tracked by too much football! :)

& thanks Mr Bernham for the visuals too! That's a good guess on the floor count :shades:

The footprint for this new hotel looks to be slightly smaller than the newly constructed Hampton Inn(137-rooms) a few blocks away...with the proposed Courtyard by Marriott being 147-rooms my guess would be 8 to 10 floors...how would parking factor into this?? Glad to see another new hotel being built from the ground up!

I like to see old buildings being re-used as much as the next guy...however the newly proposed Holiday Inn Express does not seem like a good fit for the old EBRATS(North Blvd) building next to the new Courthouse; it would work better as office space & Wampold's proposed (pic shown above corner of 3rd & Convention St) hotel at the historic 12-story old state building...Marriott turned down that location..we see why now! I think it would be better for residential lofts or office space.

How many of these downtown hotels remain successful before the market is over saturated?

Thanks  :)

It does seem to be a smaller footprint which leads me to expect a taller building with parking in an adjacent building, kinda like the Omni in the French Quarter.  So to fill 147 rooms I think an eight - ten floor projection would not be too far off. I hope they go for a more modern look, it would really spice up that area and add a more modern building on third street besides the Shaw Center and buildings further along the street. 

I agree with your points about the Holiday Inn...it is too much. In that area alone you will have four large hotels. I would have preferred something more creative, allow me to explain below. 

North Boulevard, Lafayette Street, and Third Street are becoming the life line of the city. Those streets alone by the end of the decade will at least play host to five new apartment buildings, six new hotels, dozens of shops and restaurants, IBM, five museums, various office buildings, two theaters, a redeveloped town square, a large convention center, and redeveloped river front. This will become the hub of the city and bring to life the cities vibrant culture, but I think something is needed to really top it all off. It needs a Union. I use the word Union because it symbolizes what would be the areas 'living room'. It would hold not only offices, but other things such as shops, restaurants, cafe's, gathering spaces, green spaces, and a transport for the downtown area. Where would this ideally be located? Well right where the Holiday Inn is located. That would be the PRIME location for something like a 'Union'. It is nestled in between office buildings and a museum, near housing, and has great access to the rest of the downtown and other city locations.

I think it is still possible to do this, it would just take the right planning. I also think it is very possible to work in Holiday Inn with something like that; a mixed use building of sorts.

I think after this hotel though, we need to stop and focus on adding more things to this area. Improving the streets, finishing the North Boulevard plan, focusing on the river front, and creating more community centers.  

Edited by mr. bernham

Hard to fathom downtown BR had ZERO Hotel Rooms for OVER 15 years? from 1985 to 2001? Thought the Belle was built earlier than this?? When talks began of renovating the old Capitol House the ole fuddy-duddy councilman said "it would be like putting lipstick on a dead woman" ...since then...

Belle of BR...300 hotel rooms

Hilton Capitol House....290 rooms

Hotel Indigo...93 rooms

Hampton Inn...137 rooms

Holiday Inn Express...88 rooms

Louisiana National...146 rooms 

Courtyard Marriott...147 rooms

Would = 1,201 hotel rooms downtown!

I'm really excited to see a new construction project, just not too keen on yet another hotel. I'm hoping for a large announcement similar to IBM's shock value to help sustain all these new rooms. Also, this would be the perfect time to begin construction of the Nicholson light-rail.

lol

Despite how hilarious this post is, you need to add more substance and not waste bandwidth.

I do think they need turn a little more to supplying more living space if they want to "keep people downtown."

The light rail will fit in great when it's said and done. I think its safe to say the use for it will definitely be there. They should start it sooner rather than later.

Edited by ehyfield

It appears we were right Mr. Bernham...according to WAFB's news report the new Courtyard by Marriott will be 8-stories....the Video shows how nice it should look...even though that cool looking rendering is only 6-floors...they said it will be 8...it's going to look nice!

http://www.wafb.com/story/26759825/new-hotel-being-built-downtown

What an improvement from that surface parking lot at that prime time intersection!

BTW I like your idea of a "Union" at the old EBRATS location...there is a Topic on the old EBRATS bldg. that's been inactive a few pages back...I thought that may also may be a nice location for the new downtown library...

A few years from now Third Street should be plenty live w all the new residential projects going up like the Onyxx  at the Arts Block & 440 on Third & Commerce Bldg + the new Courtyard by Marriott

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 2

I'm really excited to see a new construction project, just not too keen on yet another hotel. I'm hoping for a large announcement similar to IBM's shock value to help sustain all these new rooms. Also, this would be the perfect time to begin construction of the Nicholson light-rail.

IBM will boost the local hotel market as well as our airport...given the nature of their business. I think we may see another new business-focused hotel in the works for downtown before this time next year.

I would love to see another major recruit downtown though. Things like the IBM announcement don't happen every year. Tech companies often stay clear of downtowns too. That is a major win for downtown and everyone with local tech careers.

The renderings of that Marriott look great. The scale, height, and density look appropriate for that space. The architecture looks attractive and should compliment the area around it while still giving visitors the familiar Mariott look and feel. To those of us that spend a lot of time on the road, that's important. I sincerely hope that they have a "walk through" lobby that addresses both the street and their parking structure (wherever it is).....extra points for addressing both streets on the corner.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

I must have seen the wrong rendering.

The 8 level rendering being shown now is kind of ho-hum.....but at least it's not unattractive. I don't think they'll have a problem filling rooms. Hilton (Hampton) seems to be in a better location to capitalize off of the IBM and state offices, but Courtyard is in a great spot for convention space, not to mention being close to the center of downtown (just two-three blocks from IBM, down the street from Chase tower and Albermale, etc.). I think they may regret not adding more rooms.

I like that they are addressing the street with stores fronts and retail space. Maybe they can get a Starbucks or something in there.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

Hey Cajun I replied to you on the last page; didn't realize it was on bottom of page...going to make another post on top of this new page....

Was hoping for a little more glass...this rendering does not look as good as the WAFB graphic in yesterday's post...

MarriotPresser111.jpg

MarriotPresser222.jpg

MarriotPresser3.jpg

imgSpacer.gif

imgSpacer.gif

imgSpacer.gif

Edited by richyb83

Hey Cajun I replied to you on the last page; didn't realize it was on bottom of page...going to make another post on top of this new page....

Was hoping for a little more glass...this rendering does not look as good as the WAFB graphic in yesterday's post...

MarriotPresser111.jpg

MarriotPresser222.jpg

MarriotPresser3.jpg

imgSpacer.gif

imgSpacer.gif

imgSpacer.gif

That's because it was not our rendering. That was something that the DDD thought would give us an idea of what the new hotel would look like. He said ours would be 8 stories tall and have balconies. 

Here is another larger rendering from the advocate:

2ag972r.jpg

Oh yes Mr Bernham i'm aware of the different renderings...was just comparing them... liked the metal grills on top of the other rendering; gives it a more modern/sleeker version.

I'm actually stoked this hotel is going to be built at that location; filling up another surface parking lot. It's going to be cool riding over there by the retro Coca-Cola sign and see this new hotel right across the street!

Gonna be hard to be patient for this project to get off the ground as construction will not start til late next Spring of 15'

• Like 1

Oh yes Mr Bernham i'm aware of the different renderings...was just comparing them... liked the metal grills on top of the other rendering; gives it a more modern/sleeker version.

I'm actually stoked this hotel is going to be built at that location; filling up another surface parking lot. It's going to be cool riding over there by the retro Coca-Cola sign and see this new hotel right across the street!

Gonna be hard to be patient for this project to get off the ground as construction will not start til late next Spring of 15'

You are right about all of that! I hope the other open parking lot on the blocks other side (convention street I think.) gets a 25 story tall mixed use building or a thirty tall office building, hey a guy can hope right?  ;)

• Like 2

IBM will boost the local hotel market as well as our airport...given the nature of their business. I think we may see another new business-focused hotel in the works for downtown before this time next year.

I would love to see another major recruit downtown though. Things like the IBM announcement don't happen every year. Tech companies often stay clear of downtowns too. That is a major win for downtown and everyone with local tech careers.

The renderings of that Marriott look great. The scale, height, and density look appropriate for that space. The architecture looks attractive and should compliment the area around it while still giving visitors the familiar Mariott look and feel. To those of us that spend a lot of time on the road, that's important. I sincerely hope that they have a "walk through" lobby that addresses both the street and their parking structure (wherever it is).....extra points for addressing both streets on the corner.

It will be good to see people choosing to use BTR instead of MSY, will be interesting to see if we get more direct domestic flights and where.

I'm not keen on this rendering. I really wish a more modern design were chosen but I'll take what's given, you can't beat getting rid of a parking lot in the heart of downtown!

I would prefer to see a PJ's AND a Starbucks somewhere downtown. You can't get PJ's everywhere. 

Retail space facing Florida would be really the icing on the cake for this building!

It will be good to see people choosing to use BTR instead of MSY, will be interesting to see if we get more direct domestic flights and where.

I'm not keen on this rendering. I really wish a more modern design were chosen but I'll take what's given, you can't beat getting rid of a parking lot in the heart of downtown!

I would prefer to see a PJ's AND a Starbucks somewhere downtown. You can't get PJ's everywhere. 

Retail space facing Florida would be really the icing on the cake for this building!

I think that the more traditional/modern mix seen downtown fits it more. BR does nor strike me as a very 'modern' city in terms of architecture aside from a few buildings. I think have only a few buildings with a stunning modern design make them more impressive and unique. I mean the crest is a beautiful piece along with the Shaw Center, but I feel their beauty would be diminished if there was a ton of similar architecture downtown. 

I know that BTR just got a few million dollars for renovations and expansions. It will be interesting what they do with it. 

I think that the more traditional/modern mix seen downtown fits it more. BR does nor strike me as a very 'modern' city in terms of architecture aside from a few buildings. I think have only a few buildings with a stunning modern design make them more impressive and unique. I mean the crest is a beautiful piece along with the Shaw Center, but I feel their beauty would be diminished if there was a ton of similar architecture downtown. 

I know that BTR just got a few million dollars for renovations and expansions. It will be interesting what they do with it. 

You know, as I think about it more, with Shaw down the street, and the IBM coming up, I'm satisfied with it's design. It could be better but I agree that too much modern architectural styles will cloud up this particular part of downtown.

A genuine mix of old and new like Charlotte's BOA is perfect in my opinion.

• Like 1