New Hotels

richyb83

I agree with you byrde. I am actually getting married next summer and the reception will be at the Hilton. Custom says that if you are going to provide your guests with a luxury hotel to stay in (Hilton), you should also provide a more budget hotel. There is currently no budget hotel anywhere near downtown.

However, I also agree with richyb83. The EBRATS building does not seem like the best place for this proposed hotel. As richyb83 points out, I think that building would be better as an office or government building.

Congrats on getting married Gauge. The King Hotel building would be my choice for a moderately priced hotel. It could serve as a great compliment to the Hilton.

The EBRATS building would require a lot of work to turn it into a hotel. With the new courthouse being built on North Blvd, it might serve better as an office building for lawyers and their staff.

Yes Gauge, congrats on getting married :thumbsup: A friend of mine is getting married in Nov. and said the $price for a reception at the Hilton 10th floor ballroom was extremely high roller!

Your exactly right Bryde on the more business-type hotel, the Hotel King would be a great compliment to it's luxurious neighbor the Hilton. They keep touting it as a "boutique" hotel; can a boutique hotel be moderately priced?? Wasn't sure on exact definition of "boutique" eventhough I remember SBC explaining it to Dan months ago. The Hotel King was to have about 92-rooms??

Wonder what hotel chain would be selected for a new RiverCenter hotel. Would it be 150-250 rooms??

And still wondering what's up with the "W" aLoft that was proposed at Esplanade(I-10/College/Corporate)??? Have not heard anything. It's always been interesting seeing that area as BR's premier hotel district sparked by the 22-story Marriott(formerly Hilton) back in the mid-70's. I guess it made the best location between the 10/12 split and nearby LSU.

Yes Gauge, congrats on getting married :thumbsup: A friend of mine is getting married in Nov. and said the $price for a reception at the Hilton 10th floor ballroom was extremely high roller!

Your exactly right Bryde on the more business-type hotel, the Hotel King would be a great compliment to it's luxurious neighbor the Hilton. They keep touting it as a "boutique" hotel; can a boutique hotel be moderately priced?? Wasn't sure on exact definition of "boutique" eventhough I remember SBC explaining it to Dan months ago. The Hotel King was to have about 92-rooms??

Thanks for the congratulations. Yes the Heidelberg (10th floor) ballroom is kind of pricey. However, both me and the fiance are big fans of the downtown revitalization. Having everything downtown was kind of a no brainer.

I agree the Hotel King would/will be a great compliment to the Hilton. I only wish it would be open a year from now. As best I can tell, it does look like Daniel's bill to provide for a tiff for the Hotel King and EBRATS building was passed by both the house and senate. Hopefully this will get the ball rolling on the Hotel King:

http://www.legis.state.la.us/billdata/Hist...mp;billid=HB849

Edited by Gauge

That's great Gauge yall are fans of downtown too! I have been stoked about downtown's renaissance for a few years! I was also very impressed with the pool deck on the 3rd floor at the Capitol Hilton Center; esp. at night!

The Shaw Center for the Arts also compliments the Hilton Capitol Center nicely.

And consolidating all the new State Bldgs for the Capitol Park Complex was a brilliant move too!

Hopefully Trahan architects or somebody will do something with the old Jumonville warehouse across the street(next to Hotel King) They had big plans but seems like it's been put on hold?? It is supposed to be something mixed-use and expand it vertically?? with ground level retail; architectural firm on 2 and 3rd floor; and lofts on top. New Jazz Club next door??

It's covered with tarp now, flatiger had mentioned bec. Mayor Holden was embarrassed at the eye-sore during the Black Mayors Convention.

Edited by richyb83

feb07009zn1.jpg

Isn't this the EBRATS building? I think they need to do something different with this. It looks kind of ugly for a hotel.

And congrats on the wedding. The Hilton is fancy. :D

I agree. It's just nasty. City Plaza is too modern and nice to go with it, and it just doesn't have the classical beauty that the older buildings along North Blvd or 3rd street have.

Knock it down and put in a high rise hotel or an office building. You can bet offices will be in high demand across the street from the courthose. Lawyers offices alone would be in huge demand. A hotel would do well near the Shaw center, River Center, 3rd Street, and nearby LSU.

Now that I think about it.....if there were any place that I'd want to put a large mixed use tower (mostly offices), it would be right there.

Edited by brresident

:w00t::w00t:

More hotels in the works for Howell Place

Work should start in the next few months on four hotels in the Howell Place development in North Baton Rouge. Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn are set to close this week on a 4.1-acre tract between the IHOP and the Burger King in Howell Place, says Richard Preis, who is developing the land near Harding Boulevard and Interstate 110. After Holiday Inn closes on the site, they will immediately start working on a 119-room hotel. Construction on the Hampton will start in a few months. "They want to get a ways on the Holiday Inn before they start on the other hotel," Pries says. Spring Hill Suites purchased a site in Howell Place three months ago, and is doing engineering work for its 159-room hotel. And Microtel Inn plans to start building its location before Labor Day, Pries says. The success of the Hilton Garden Inn Hotel and the demand for hotel rooms by big North Baton Rouge employers such as ExxonMobil, Entergy and Southern University has driven the development in Howell Place, Preis says. "There are 55,000 hotel rooms taken up in South Baton Rouge by North Baton Rouge industry," he says

4 New Hotels for Howell Place on the way. I knew about the SpringHill Suites but I didn't know about the Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn or the Microtel. This is great news.

More hotels in the works for Howell Place

Work should start in the next few months on four hotels in the Howell Place development in North Baton Rouge. Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn are set to close this week on a 4.1-acre tract between the IHOP and the Burger King in Howell Place, says Richard Preis, who is developing the land near Harding Boulevard and Interstate 110. After Holiday Inn closes on the site, they will immediately start working on a 119-room hotel. Construction on the Hampton will start in a few months. "They want to get a ways on the Holiday Inn before they start on the other hotel," Pries says. Spring Hill Suites purchased a site in Howell Place three months ago, and is doing engineering work for its 159-room hotel. And Microtel Inn plans to start building its location before Labor Day, Pries says.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

Thanks for posting this, I was gladly suprised to see this when I saw it earlier :thumbsup: Airports and Hotels just go together! I am glad BR is finally realizing this, thanks to Richard Preis vision. Such as large undeveloped tract of land at a prime location!!! He knew everything could not go into southern-half of the city that's quickly filling up.

Howell Place deserves it's own thread!!!! There are so many componets to this massive multi-use business park. And this does qualify as infil!!!

I am about to post my Natchez pics in the Miss. Forum, so not sure if enough time?? Bec. I would like to start another thread too.

yea, the renaissance hotel is nice and it is in a great spot. I hope they can get some more 4 and 5 start hotels in baton rouge because hotels i think do contribute to how a city is on the social ladder and the higher the star rating of the hotel must be the greater the city.

• 3 weeks later...

^ Yeah Dan, and the fact that it's nearly hiding behind the sound wall??. I was wondering about the W aLoft only being 5-stories in that space with the parking issues, I'm not sure if that's the hold up, or what?? They need to make an exception to the "prototype" and build a taller/sleek model to accomodate the parking problem.

Me too diner roll...they need to change the " Red" to the Yellow Lion.

Edited by richyb83

Im not sure of the name..it's at a blank right now...but i wanna say the hampton inn being built down i-10 right after seigan Ln. is comming along real well. and right across the hwy in seigan Marketplace is some real nice looking condo's going up....thoes projects started close to the same time Cambria Suites started...and they look like their almost complete....and everyday on my way to work it lookz like cambria suites has the same progress as the day before.....do anyone know why construction is moving so slow on that project

Thanks for the heads up yis...I have not been on the other side of Siegen lately.

Your guess is as good as mine; around here there is no in-between, it's either the hotels go up really fast!! Or take forever moving at a snails pace?? :dontknow:

Edited by richyb83

Hotel operator buys land near Essen and I-10

Drury Inns has purchased a 1.37-acre tract of land near the Essen Lane-Interstate 10 exit for $1.5 million. The company bought the land near Essen Park Avenue in a deal filed Wednesday. St. Louis-based Drury Inns has more than 90 locations across the country, including hotels in New Orleans and Lafayette.

I've never heard of this brand before. I knew Essen was bound to get a midrise hotel though.

The Woodlands

drury.jpg

Lafayette

T16345_EXT_01_E.jpg

Montgomery

044972A.jpg

Wow!!! Thanks for posting this Dan. How many more new hotels are coming..I need to revamp the list! How many rooms does BR need?? When I saw the article I immediately thought of the nice new(er) Drury Inn in Lafayette on I-10 near University Ave.

This should fit nicely in the Essen Lane corridor; with only 1.37 acres it would have to go a few more stories?? I'll be hoping for at least 7 floors.

The Montgomery hotel looks very nice!

The Residence Inn at Towne Center is now open; has the Hampton Inn near Siegen opened yet? Cambria Suites has been working on the foundation. Bluebonnet looking to add the massive 348-room Renaisance; a new hotel for the Mall of La.? How many hotels at Perkins Rowe. All the hotels going up at Howell Place. A couple more hotels for downtown?? Geez..... No wonder the Red Lion can't get started! :lol:

Edited by richyb83

Wow!!! Thanks for posting this Dan. How many more new hotels are coming..I need to revamp the list! How many rooms does BR need?? When I saw the article I immediately thought of the nice new(er) Drury Inn in Lafayette on I-10 near University Ave.

This should fit nicely in the Essen Lane corridor; with only 1.37 acres it would have to go a few more stories?? I'll be hoping for at least 7 floors.

The Montgomery hotel looks very nice!

The Residence Inn at Towne Center is now open; has the Hampton Inn near Siegen opened yet? Cambria Suites has been working on the foundation. Bluebonnet looking to add the massive 348-room Renaisance; a new hotel for the Mall of La.? How many hotels at Perkins Rowe. All the hotels going up at Howell Place. A couple more hotels for downtown?? Geez..... No wonder the Red Lion can't get started! :lol:

The Hampton Inn near Siegen still has a ways to go.

I hope they build one similar to the Woodlands one. The extensive use of glass wil help it in with Jacobs Plaza. Essen Park Avenue is were those Marriott brand hotels are so it should have good visibility.

A least 2,200 rooms are under construction.

Edited by dan326

My question is, do we really need this many hotels in BR? I'm concerned with being over saturated with hotel rooms. Just like the building boom with residential property. I am extremely concerned with the city being over saturated with residential and all our property values going down. Being a new home owner that was the first thing I thought of. As it stands now I ride threw Sherwood Forest and see a massive amout of houses for sale and it concerns me quite a bit.