New Hotels

richyb83

I think they should have painted it light and medium cool gray or slate and used pale blue glass curtains like the BREC building, then it would have looked nice. I think they also should have put on some type of short lattice crown to hide those antennas. So basically make it look like the BREC headquarters but with a "sophisticated" color pallet.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2017 at 11:03 PM, mr. bernham said:

It looks pretty rough...the 'Marriott' is also off centered and it kind of ruins it. It looks cleaner and everything, but at night it looks far less impressive than it did in the past.

They have the red Marriott logo that will be installed in front of the font.  The newest Marriott brands have white font with the red "M" either stacked or to the side of the font.   The older ones had a more scripted font that was generally red in color.   The new branding looks much better IMO.

I stay at Marriott hotels a lot for business.   They are generally very well designed and decorated.    The Baton Rouge location was in need of a renovation.   It won't be mistaken for a brand new property, but it looks fresh and high quality again.     It's easily the most visible, iconic hotel on I-10 for hundreds of miles.  

Edited by cajun
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, cajun said:

Nice.  Looks like concrete decking at least for the second floor.   I wish more buildings in Baton Rouge were constructed like that.  

I was wondering why it seemed to be taking so long for just the first floor. What's the benefit?

4 hours ago, dan326 said:

I was wondering why it seemed to be taking so long for just the first floor. What's the benefit?

Concrete (and steel) has superior fire protection, acoustic properties, and termite protection. 

It's a pet peeve of mine to see commercial buildings or multi-story apartment buildings framed in wood.  In fact, we are thinking about building our next house with insulated concrete with concrete decking.    That way what the adults are doing in bed in the master bedroom wouldn't be heard in the den or dining room below. :)

Edited by cajun
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, cajun said:

Concrete (and steel) has superior fire protection, acoustic properties, and termite protection. 

It's a pet peeve of mine to see commercial buildings or multi-story apartment buildings framed in wood.  In fact, we are thinking about building our next house with insulated concrete with concrete decking.    That way what the adults are doing in bed in the master bedroom wouldn't be heard in the den or dining room below. :)

:grin:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Businessreport

Developer buys land near Baton Rouge airport for Holiday Inn Express

SAM KARLIN | @samkarlin
JULY 18, 2017

A Tennessee developer who’s planning to build a new Holiday Inn Express at Howell Place near the Baton Rouge airport has bought 2.6 acres of land on Howell Boulevard from Richard Preis for about $566,000 in a deal that closed Friday.

Though he has built several hotels across the country, it’s the first Holiday Inn Express development for Gary Gibbs, who is also developing a 380-unit senior living center and apartment complex at Howell Place. He hopes to begin construction on the four-story hotel by the end of this year and open it by the end of 2018.

“There’s a growing demand in Baton Rouge,” Gibbs says. “The market is pretty strong up there and is holding its average daily rates pretty good.”

• 3 weeks later...

DSCN1475.thumb.JPG.c7e30820a3e65b187a1f969f2108e16f.JPG

1 hour ago, richyb83 said:

Half way up on Construction on the 135 room/ 8 story Courtyard by Marriott  (Florida St @ Third).  It's not Austin or Nashville....but it should look nice at this location ; former small parking lot

DSCN1479.thumb.JPG.e774e928456b5e4b068e6bc3b3170324.JPG

Former site of the historic Istrouma Hotel built way back in 1903....not  sure when it was demolished?? 1960's??

DSCN1480.thumb.JPG.10cdc689e2d5b7092e953604f0ee1727.JPG

Edited by richyb83

That hotel is going to look massive by scale from those narrow streets.  

I'm glad they are using structural concrete for the decking.   I wish we had another hotel of similar or greater size in the works for downtown.  Preferably off of 4th street.  

Edited by cajun

On 3/20/2017 at 11:21 AM, Antrell Williams said:

:grin:

I just noticed your response.   

There is also added benefits to insulated concrete and concrete decking when it comes to flood damage.   Concrete doesn't get structurally damaged by sitting in water like some wood framing does.    It helps keep the damage estimates under the 50% of value and makes it harder for insurance companies to depreciate the home value.  

There is also significant benefits when it comes to wind and tornado protection as well.   

The drawbacks is that living in an insulated concrete home, usually sheathed in brick, in a rural area with bad mobile phone reception usually means that there will be a dead zone in some parts of the house.   Construction costs are also higher.

I think south Louisiana (especially south of I-10/I-12) has already required shear walls and hurricane straps on new construction.    I intend to just take that a step farther when we build. :) 

Edited by cajun

On 8/10/2017 at 11:45 AM, cajun said:

I just noticed your response.   

There is also added benefits to insulated concrete and concrete decking when it comes to flood damage.   Concrete doesn't get structurally damaged by sitting in water like some wood framing does.    It helps keep the damage estimates under the 50% of value and makes it harder for insurance companies to depreciate the home value.  

There is also significant benefits when it comes to wind and tornado protection as well.   

The drawbacks is that living in an insulated concrete home, usually sheathed in brick, in a rural area with bad mobile phone reception usually means that there will be a dead zone in some parts of the house.   Construction costs are also higher.

I think south Louisiana (especially south of I-10/I-12) has already required shear walls and hurricane straps on new construction.    I intend to just take that a step farther when we build. :) 

Cajun, are you moving back to the region?

On 8/11/2017 at 5:02 PM, mr. bernham said:

Cajun, are you moving back to the region?

Baton Rouge or Memphis was the plan.  I can work anywhere and often travel anyway.  Being based out of BTR and MSY would have been hard, but not impossible especially if we located in Zachary or West Feliciana.   I'm about an hour from ATL now so I would trade connections for a shorter ground commute.     

The change in wife's career that would be required for a move is more complex.  Her friends that are there are trying to leave themselves in the past year.   Some of her family was impacted by the flood, but they are sticking around.   I think North Korea could invade Baton Rouge and they'd still stay.  

I don't think the timing is right for her career at the moment.   

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, cajun said:

Baton Rouge or Memphis was the plan.  I can work anywhere and often travel anyway.  Being based out of BTR and MSY would have been hard, but not impossible especially if we located in Zachary or West Feliciana.   I'm about an hour from ATL now so I would trade connections for a shorter ground commute.     

The change in wife's career that would be required for a move is more complex.  Her friends that are there are trying to leave themselves in the past year.   Some of her family was impacted by the flood, but they are sticking around.   I think North Korea could invade Baton Rouge and they'd still stay.  

That makes sense. 

A lot of my family was based here in Louisiana, but my aunt still lives in Tampa. When we moved (four years now I think) it was a hard transition and we're trying to convince them to move back down with us, but I don't think it'll happen. Her career kinda took off and now the timing isn't great.

On 8/14/2017 at 6:45 AM, cajun said:

Off topic from the off topic but I have wondered whether BR has any strategic importance in an invasion.

5 hours ago, dan326 said:

Off topic from the off topic but I have wondered whether BR has any strategic importance in an invasion.

Haha.   Your imagination works like mine.   :)

In this hypothetical scenario, Louisiana would be subject to air strikes, not conventional ground forces.

I actually don't think Louisiana could be easily invaded by ground forces.   It would be too easy for locals and defense forces (even state or local police) to essentially shut down or even dismantle the countless river crossings, and the terrain would make it impossible to move men and equipment across the landscape.   The locals are all well armed, they are mostly self sufficient, and so many have access to off road vehicles and boats.  It would be extremely hard to invade and maintain a supply chain even under good weather conditions unless you can move things up the river.   

I don't think a traditional invasion would work in the US at all.   But for the sake of argument, I would imagine we are talking about a large country in SE Asia initiating conflict   If I were them, I would wait until a particularly weak president was in office or wait until an economic downturn, then I would invade Mexico.   America would see this miles and miles away and would station troops along Mexican border and may even move into Mexico or stage an airstrike on ground forces from the US.   

So prior to invading Mexico (or concurrently), the invading force would have to take out strategic air command in Barksdale, and all major naval and air stations in San Diego, Los Angeles, and Texas.   This would be impossible unless the US was also being invaded from the east by an alternate force from, say, the Bareants or Kara Sea region (wink wink).   This would consume the nation's attention and likely force the country to move aircraft carriers and most of the naval fleet to the north Atlantic to defend DC and New York, leaving the south western US and the Gulf Coast vulnerable.  

I think Louisiana would have to be bombed from the air - particularly the airports, pipelines, and major river crossings.    I think the dozen or so refineries in Houston, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Lake Charles, and Beaumont/Port Arthur would be easier targets from carrier-based bombers than the actual oilfields.    That would basically shut down the nation's energy production without having to move inland to Oklahoma or the Dakotas.    If defenses in Baton Rouge and New Orleans were destroyed, the invading force could move freight and armored divisions up the river to Memphis, St. Louis, and eventually to the big midwest cities.   With ground in the center of the US like that, you could essentially cut off Texas and the west from the east and move yourself up the Ohio River into Indiana, Kentuky, Ohio, and even into western Pennsylvania.  

I don't think it would be even remotely possible to move troops or armored equipment to this hemisphere in significant numbers without the American Navy stalking them from the moment they left their home ports.   It would be even more difficult to move aircraft carriers into the gulf or along the Pacific coast.   

Fun fact:  WW2 era German U Boats were sunk by fisherman with depth charges off the coast of Louisiana.   They actually just found the wreckage of one of them 5-7 years ago.   

Edited by cajun
  • Like 2

Neat, thanks for the theory! I read somewhere that the most likely attack would be to take out electric devices with an (emp?) attack. I was joking that an overtaken US would probably be sound between theoretical SE Asian country and a Semitic Kingdom. I guess we would finally get a new, tall tower atleast, lol!

On 8/15/2017 at 1:57 PM, cajun said:

Haha.   Your imagination works like mine.   :)

In this hypothetical scenario, Louisiana would be subject to air strikes, not conventional ground forces.

I actually don't think Louisiana could be easily invaded by ground forces.   It would be too easy for locals and defense forces (even state or local police) to essentially shut down or even dismantle the countless river crossings, and the terrain would make it impossible to move men and equipment across the landscape.   The locals are all well armed, they are mostly self sufficient, and so many have access to off road vehicles and boats.  It would be extremely hard to invade and maintain a supply chain even under good weather conditions unless you can move things up the river.   

I don't think a traditional invasion would work in the US at all.   But for the sake of argument, I would imagine we are talking about a large country in SE Asia initiating conflict   If I were them, I would wait until a particularly weak president was in office or wait until an economic downturn, then I would invade Mexico.   America would see this miles and miles away and would station troops along Mexican border and may even move into Mexico or stage an airstrike on ground forces from the US.   

So prior to invading Mexico (or concurrently), the invading force would have to take out strategic air command in Barksdale, and all major naval and air stations in San Diego, Los Angeles, and Texas.   This would be impossible unless the US was also being invaded from the east by an alternate force from, say, the Bareants or Kara Sea region (wink wink).   This would consume the nation's attention and likely force the country to move aircraft carriers and most of the naval fleet to the north Atlantic to defend DC and New York, leaving the south western US and the Gulf Coast vulnerable.  

I think Louisiana would have to be bombed from the air - particularly the airports, pipelines, and major river crossings.    I think the dozen or so refineries in Houston, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Lake Charles, and Beaumont/Port Arthur would be easier targets from carrier-based bombers than the actual oilfields.    That would basically shut down the nation's energy production without having to move inland to Oklahoma or the Dakotas.    If defenses in Baton Rouge and New Orleans were destroyed, the invading force could move freight and armored divisions up the river to Memphis, St. Louis, and eventually to the big midwest cities.   With ground in the center of the US like that, you could essentially cut off Texas and the west from the east and move yourself up the Ohio River into Indiana, Kentuky, Ohio, and even into western Pennsylvania.  

I don't think it would be even remotely possible to move troops or armored equipment to this hemisphere in significant numbers without the American Navy stalking them from the moment they left their home ports.   It would be even more difficult to move aircraft carriers into the gulf or along the Pacific coast.   

Fun fact:  WW2 era German U Boats were sunk by fisherman with depth charges off the coast of Louisiana.   They actually just found the wreckage of one of them 5-7 years ago.   

It's not difficult if the would be invaders take out our satellite and technologically blast us back to pre-WWII. The first strike would be to take out US Satellite's then to hack into American databases to offset GPS and other technological tools. Our communication networks would be down and our ships/planes would be severely impaired if GPS systems are offset. 

Concurrently, as you are destroying the communication networks of the nation you would (presuming Cuba is an anti-US collaborator) launch air strikes on the gulf coast, destroy the Panama Canal, take out US bases in the South East (or try to) and on the west coast launch target strikes against the American ghost fleets in the Bay Area. Invade Hawaii. Within 48 hours you wouldn't just cripple the US' ability for an intimidate retaliation, but you would cripple the US' ability to strike back for at least two years. The speech the President would give would literally be a Dunkirk speech if he opted not to go for a quick peace talks. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alpesh Patel plans new Days Inn for Howell Place

Local hotel developer and operator Alpesh Patel has plans for a new Days Inn hotel at Howell Place. In a sale that closed late Thursday, Patel’s Howell Hotel LLC acquired a two-acre parcel from out-of-state investor Sustain LLC for $300,000.

Patel plans to begin construction on the 52-room hotel later this month and hopes to be open for business by August or September. He says he was attracted to the site because of its proximity to Southern University and the nearby ExxonMobil refinery complex.

https://www.businessreport.com/article/alpesh-patel-plans-new-days-inn-howell-place

• 2 weeks later...