New Hotels

richyb83

Thanks  :)

It does seem to be a smaller footprint which leads me to expect a taller building with parking in an adjacent building, kinda like the Omni in the French Quarter.  So to fill 147 rooms I think an eight - ten floor projection would not be too far off. I hope they go for a more modern look, it would really spice up that area and add a more modern building on third street besides the Shaw Center and buildings further along the street. 

I agree with your points about the Holiday Inn...it is too much. In that area alone you will have four large hotels. I would have preferred something more creative, allow me to explain below. 

North Boulevard, Lafayette Street, and Third Street are becoming the life line of the city. Those streets alone by the end of the decade will at least play host to five new apartment buildings, six new hotels, dozens of shops and restaurants, IBM, five museums, various office buildings, two theaters, a redeveloped town square, a large convention center, and redeveloped river front. This will become the hub of the city and bring to life the cities vibrant culture, but I think something is needed to really top it all off. It needs a Union. I use the word Union because it symbolizes what would be the areas 'living room'. It would hold not only offices, but other things such as shops, restaurants, cafe's, gathering spaces, green spaces, and a transport for the downtown area. Where would this ideally be located? Well right where the Holiday Inn is located. That would be the PRIME location for something like a 'Union'. It is nestled in between office buildings and a museum, near housing, and has great access to the rest of the downtown and other city locations.

I think it is still possible to do this, it would just take the right planning. I also think it is very possible to work in Holiday Inn with something like that; a mixed use building of sorts.

I think after this hotel though, we need to stop and focus on adding more things to this area. Improving the streets, finishing the North Boulevard plan, focusing on the river front, and creating more community centers.  

Since I had a day off I decided to whip up some renderings of this thing. I have a map, an image of what the whole union *could* look like, and then that last rendering edited into a screen shot I took of the block from that angle. 

MAP:

10pdnqf.png

COMPLEX RENDERING:

2py885v.png

Street View:

15yjlgk.png

Forgive me for my terrible Photoshop skills!

• Like 1

Nice work Mr Bernham...(wish I could photoshop like that)...thanks for sharing this creative idea! :thumbsup: That's a great location for that type of project! Would be a nice addition to the North Blvd Square area...

I would like to add a small bowling alley/cinema somewhere adjacent to this...maybe on Lafayette Street a block north of the Shaw Center for the Arts at the old Jumonville warehouse between Hotel Indigo & Blue's Room...will post a pic of that a lil' later...maybe in the Entertainment District thread

Edited by richyb83

Nice, but this is like another Catfish Town if I'm not mistaken, I wasn't really aware back then. :dontknow:

According to some quick interweb research Catfish town was where the 'crystal palace' building (at least that is what I call it) is. It took old warehouses and turned them into something like Perkins Rowe...but downtown. The problem was that it was ahead of its time and did not draw in too many people due to the larger Cortana and Bon Marche. Catfish Town is like the middle project in downtown's history, it was a last ditch effort to keep it alive but the inspiration for everything that has happened since. 

This Union would be a combination of many things and idealistically would hold larger chain brands and then office space and apartments. At max I'm thinking five to ten shops could fit in there comfortably. The hotel is already going up there and this would add a new parking garage (for the lost parking space that would come from this) downtown. The final piece would be the transportation purpose. It would serve as the downtown's main bus, light rail, tourism hub. It would in many ways be the Grand Central Station of BR...just without a subway. 

Nice work Mr Bernham...(wish I could photoshop like that)...thanks for sharing this creative idea! :thumbsup: That's a great location for that type of project! Would be a nice addition to the North Blvd Square area...

I would like to add a small bowling alley/cinema somewhere adjacent to this...maybe on Lafayette Street a block north of the Shaw Center for the Arts at the old Jumonville warehouse between Hotel Indigo & Blue's Room...will post a pic of that a lil' later...maybe in the Entertainment District thread

Thanks...I'm not too pleased with how it turned out, but thanks for the kind comments. 

I think a bowling alley/cinema would be really cool downtown and add a few more attractions. Reading through some old masterplans there was a plan to put a theater on the corner of 3rd street and Laurel with retail and restaurant space stretching around the rest of the block. I guess this could still happen even though the Hampton is on the same block. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hotels all across the BR area should be packed for this weekends LSU/Alabama game! And the 256-room Renaissance hotel should be no different! It has been a big success so far....The vacant unfinished dormitory on Bluebonnet Blvd was a HUGE eye-sore for far too long (25 years?); once referred to by Business Report as BR's version of the Hanoi Hilton...has been transformed into a full-service luxury hotel nearly 8 miles from downtown....It has this been opened now for 3 years? I have lost track of time LOL

Sept14161_zpsa5b464ff.jpg

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Just when you thought there were enough hotel rooms in the Siegen Lane area

Hilton plans first La. location of new extended stay concept in BR

The first Louisiana location of Hilton Hotels & Resorts’ contemporary, extended-stay brand, called Home2 Suites, is set to open in Baton Rouge in the first quarter of next year.

According to a plan review application recently filed with the city-parish Department of Public Works, Supreme Construction plans to build the 56,000-square-foot hotel at 10800 Siegen Holiday Circle, which is located just off Siegen Lane between Interstate 10 and U.S. 61.

The hotel will offer 94 rooms, each of which will include separate sleeping and sitting areas, as well as a small kitchen. Jennifer Hughes, a spokesperson for Hilton, says the company looks for college towns and government hubs for the Home2 Suites brand. Ravi Patel, Supreme Construction owner, says the location of this hotel is also ideal for workers coming into the city to satisfy the industrial boom

*rest of article

http://www.businessreport.com/article/hilton-plans-first-la-location-new-extended-stay-concept-br

• 4 weeks later...

Possibly a 12-story hotel in Denham Springs adjacent to Bass Pro?? :shok:

Developers contemplating upscale 12-story hotel and two other inns for Denham Springs

Denham Springs officials are in discussions with developers who are considering building three new hotels in the city—including a 12-story upscale project with a restaurant, conference center and theater or studio.

Speaking to the Livingston Board of Realtors this afternoon, Denham Springs Mayor Gerard Landry—in office for just 49 days—said he met last week with a developer who wants to spend $70 million to build a 12-story, “five-star” hotel in the community. He declined to disclose who is behind the early-stage project, which, if built, would be the tallest structure in Livingston Parish.

“Twelve stories,” Landry told those at the meeting. “That’s unbelievable for Livingston Parish, much less Denham Springs. He’ll make an announcement when it’s appropriate, but the reason [the developer] came to see me is because he wanted to make sure our fire department can handle it. … We can service his needs.”

Speaking to Daily Report following the meeting, Denham Springs building official Rick Foster says the proposed hotel is potentially a Sheraton project that could include five floors of hotel rooms, a conference facility that could accommodate up to 500 guests, a restaurant, offices and two floors of studios or theater. Foster adds the developer “has ties to Bollywood,” a reference to the Indian film industry. “We’ve got some conceptual drawings on it,” Foster says. “It’s all conceptual; we don’t have anything rock solid. But believe it or not, it’s more than what we’ve had on a lot of projects that have come to fruition.”

Landry also told the Realtors board that developers already have closed on property on Bass Pro Drive next to Sam’s Club, where a Marriott hotel and restaurant are planned on separate lots. A construction start date has not yet been announced. Also proposed for the community is a four- or five-story full-service Holiday Inn with 98 rooms, a restaurant and conference center.

Details on both remain sketchy, and the names of the developers involved were not available at press time. Foster says plans for the properties have not yet been filed with the permit office.

“They’re still kind of nebulous,” Foster says. “Nothing is set in stone.”

—Penny Font

http://www.businessreport.com/article/developers-contemplating-upscale-12-story-hotel-two-inns-denham-springs

Wow!! Denham Springs is really moving up in the world to have a Marriott and a Holiday Inn. I wonder if they are just talking by saying 5 star hotel. I mean, Baton Rouge doesn't even have a 5 star hotel and that location just doesn't seem...complimentary. If it really is an upscale brand, some Sheraton sister brands are:

*Westin

*W Hotel

*aLoft by W

Speaking of which, I wonder if they're building that aLoft by Esplanade?

With all the pass through traffic it doesn't surprise me to see more hotel development in that area. It gives people that want to "get through baton rouge tonight" heading east a place to stay and not worry about traffic in the morning. When we travel long distances in the car we usually have a goal city and stay on the far side of it to avoid traffic if at all possible.

Edited by all2neat

• 1 month later...

True All2neat!

This old 12 -story historic(BR's 1st Skyscraper built in 20's) building on Third Street at Convention St. would be better served as condo's instead of another hotel...esp with the new 147-room Courtyard by Marriott about to go up a block away

Renovation begins to turn former LNB Building downtown into new hotel

Construction fencing has gone up around the old Louisiana National Bank Building at 150 N. Third St. downtown, and demolition work on the interior of the historic building is underway to make way for a new hotel.

Developer Mike Wampold, who bought the 88-year-old building in late 2013 for $10.2 million, isn’t yet ready to announce what flag will fly at the hotel. But he says he hopes to have an announcement on a franchise agreement with a national chain in the next couple of weeks.

Wampold bought the building from the Baton Rouge Area Foundation—which had acquired it just weeks earlier from the state—and announced plans to redevelop the property into a 146-room hotel. Last year, the Legislature approved the creation of a Tax Increment Financing district to help finance the project, and earlier this year, the Metro Council signed off on the TIF.

Wampold was negotiating with Marriott for a franchise agreement, but while his TIF bill was making its way through the Legislature, an out-of-state developer, Windsor Aughtry of South Carolina, acquired a surface parking lot on North Third and Florida streets—a block from Wampold’s building—and inked a deal to build a 147-room Courtyard Marriott on the site.

Wampold declines to say what chain he is currently negotiating with. But he is confident enough in the future of the project to begin gutting the interior, which will cost an estimated $350,000 and take about 60 days. Because of the historic nature of the building, certain architectural elements will be preserved, but most of the walls will be torn out. “Coming back in it will be like a brand new building,” he says.

—Stephanie Riegel

http://www.businessreport.com/article/renovation-begins-turn-former-lnb-building-downtown-new-hotel

True All2neat!

This old 12 -story historic(BR's 1st Skyscraper built in 20's) building on Third Street at Convention St. would be better served as condo's instead of another hotel...esp with the new 147-room Courtyard by Marriott about to go up a block away

Renovation begins to turn former LNB Building downtown into new hotel

Construction fencing has gone up around the old Louisiana National Bank Building at 150 N. Third St. downtown, and demolition work on the interior of the historic building is underway to make way for a new hotel.

Developer Mike Wampold, who bought the 88-year-old building in late 2013 for $10.2 million, isn’t yet ready to announce what flag will fly at the hotel. But he says he hopes to have an announcement on a franchise agreement with a national chain in the next couple of weeks.

Wampold bought the building from the Baton Rouge Area Foundation—which had acquired it just weeks earlier from the state—and announced plans to redevelop the property into a 146-room hotel. Last year, the Legislature approved the creation of a Tax Increment Financing district to help finance the project, and earlier this year, the Metro Council signed off on the TIF.

Wampold was negotiating with Marriott for a franchise agreement, but while his TIF bill was making its way through the Legislature, an out-of-state developer, Windsor Aughtry of South Carolina, acquired a surface parking lot on North Third and Florida streets—a block from Wampold’s building—and inked a deal to build a 147-room Courtyard Marriott on the site.

Wampold declines to say what chain he is currently negotiating with. But he is confident enough in the future of the project to begin gutting the interior, which will cost an estimated $350,000 and take about 60 days. Because of the historic nature of the building, certain architectural elements will be preserved, but most of the walls will be torn out. “Coming back in it will be like a brand new building,” he says.

—Stephanie Riegel

http://www.businessreport.com/article/renovation-begins-turn-former-lnb-building-downtown-new-hotel

Tired of the Hotels Downtown need to start focusing on the nightlife Movie Theater, Bowling Alley, House of Blues type venue, etc etc and Parking.

100% AGREED Greg225!!!  Cinema/BowlingAlley/Entertainment venue is needed badly!!   Also TIRED of the alcoholic fly-by-night joints that pop-up & the disappear...without alcohol what is Third Street after 5:00pm?? I don't even drink!

At least the residential units(440 on Third/Commerce Bldg/Onyxx Lofts) are going up along the street scene that should give it a more 24/7 vibe...along with 525 Lafayette at the IBM Block

• 1 month later...

Wampold lands flag for Marriott Autograph hotel in downtown Baton Rouge Mike Wampold has finalized a franchise agreement with Marriott to redevelop the old LNB Building downtown into a new 148-room Autograph hotel that will be called Watermark Baton Rouge. The developer has been working on plans for a hotel on the site for more than one year, but did not have a flag for the hotel until Monday, when the deal was signed.

The Autograph brand is one of the newest and ritziest in the Marriott family of hotels and Wampold says his hotel at 150 N. Third St will be “upper upscale,” with high-end amenities, restored vintage artwork and a full-service restaurant.

“This is going to be more upscale than the Renaissance,” says Wampold, referring to another Marriott hotel he owns on Bluebonnet Boulevard. “This is going to be the most upscale hotel in Baton Rouge.”

Wampold’s announcement comes on the same day developers of a Courtyard Marriott, which is planned for a vacant lot just down the block at Florida and North Third streets, are planning to ask the Metro Council to create a special Tax Increment Financing District to help finance construction of their project. Wampold secured TIF financing for his project from the Council earlier this spring.

With two competing Marriotts within a block of each other and seven hotels altogether, the downtown hotel market will be a competitive one, but Wampold says he’s ready to compete.

“We feel good about our position and the quality of our product,” he says.

The hotel is scheduled to open in August 2016. Read the full story in Daily Report PM this afternoon.

See a rendering of the Watermark.

—Stephanie Riegel https://www.businessreport.com/article/news-alert-wampold-lands-flag-marriott-autograph-hotel-downtown-baton-rouge

Neat! From looking at the website, they seem to have an ecclectic mix of locations, I wonder how they chose Baton Rouge? 3rd street is almost full now, I guess 4th/Lafayette are the next?

Hey guys, I've been lurking this forum for awhile & have enjoyed reading everyones remarks/updates regarding Baton Rouge developments during that time. However, I'm even more excited to offer my inputs & opinions to this board. Baton Rouge has continued to make great strides the past 5-6 years and I only hope the future continues to be just as  bright.

Here's a rendering of the new Watermark Hotel.

QZqzOyl.png

Hey guys, I've been lurking this forum for awhile & have enjoyed reading everyones remarks/updates regarding Baton Rouge developments during that time. However, I'm even more excited to offer my inputs & opinions to this board. Baton Rouge has continued to make great strides the past 5-6 years and I only hope the future continues to be just as  bright.

Here's a rendering of the new Watermark Hotel.

Welcome aboard! We're happy you signed up.

The most upscale! Can't wait to see it.

Yes indeed! Welcome geauxtigers1991...glad you joined! Like that name!  Thanks for the rendering too :thumbsup: Looking forward to your future post! Baton Rouge sure has made some serious strides! Wish I had some Before & After pics just as a reminder of all of the changes....

This will be 7 Hotels for downtown BR!  Plenty of competition for sure! Discussed it before...just hope they can all be successful long term ...looks that 1,000 room benchmark for rooms to support larger conventions for the River Center will soon be realized(to think in the 90's there were NO HOTEL ROOMS!...could demand for this upscale hotel be a bit tricky? Thought some residential units might work better at this location/site?

BTW Thanks Dan for moving this to the hotel thread! Saw story on this last night WAFB/Ch.9  with the TIF's & almost put it there...

Edited by richyb83

Hi geauxtigers1991! It's definitely exiting to have new members because it seems to ebb and flow with the fortunes of the city and is indicative of growth.

It's definitely amazing to see all the development. I remember throwing rocks of the roof of the Indigo years ago, lol. I think Hampton was the hotel that really forced the fell the crucial domino to convince others. I do wonder though who coming to Baton Rouge is going to be renting these expensive rooms, don't know if that's healthy skepticism or a remnant of BRs sleepy town thinking. But I guess they must have a client base. Maybe those condos can be combined with another hotel if Riverplace ever happens.

Yes, the great which-thread debate. :lol:

Edited by dan326

Yeah you right oneman83 :shades: Make it a TRUE Entertainment District! Would look nice with the Onyxx Lofts set to go vertical any day now!

Oh yeah...I had the chance to climb up to the roof top of BR's 1st Skyscraper(this new upscale hotel) a few years back...the door had always been locked in the exterior silver-metal stair-well(behind the rendering/not shown)...but finally it was unlocked & was able to take some nice pics of downtown from above the 12th floor...but those old pics weren't transferred from my old computer. :ermm: ..got to get on that! 

Edited by richyb83

• 1 month later...